Clear All
  • Niko777
    • Oct 2010

Statue of Eleftherios Venizelos vandalized in Lerin

Article in Greek: http://neaflorina.gr/2019/01/agnosto...Jh_L1PJQe6bZMw
  • maco2envy
    • Jan 2015

Originally posted by nushevski77
    who is he? why is there a statue of him in lerin? is he pro greek or pro Macedonian? and whats the reason for the vandalism?
    A quick google search should help

Comment

• Risto the Great
      • Sep 2008

He was the enemy of Macedonians. Hence the statue in Lerin. The red paint is symbolic.
      Risto the Great
      MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
      "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• YuriB
        • Jan 2019

Same family as the current leader of the conservative party Kyriakos Mitsotakis. I am sure you know about his father Konstantinos who was the prime minister of Greece when Macedonia declared its independence and his sister Dora who vetoed Macedonia in NATO. Yes, Greeks primarily vote dynasties! And that's a dynasty that indeed has a bone to pick with Macedonians.

Venizelos was the prime minister of Greece during the Balkan wars and thus, one of the reasons why today there exists a Greek Macedonia.
        Regards,
        A Greek supporting self-determination of Macedonians!

Comment

• YuriB
          • Jan 2019

Fun fact, Venizelos also signed the treaty of Lausanne, which prescribed the population exchange between Greece and Turkey. Both countries got rid of citizens they didn't like based on religion so to construct ethnic homogeneous states (hmmm... ).

A big chunk of these ex-Turkish Christians were sent to the recent acquisitions of Greece in Macedonia, which, I suspect Venizelos thought it was uninhabited or smth..?! I guess there is way more knitty gritty stuff I'm not aware of..
          Regards,
          A Greek supporting self-determination of Macedonians!

Comment

• Liberator of Makedonija
            • Apr 2014

why would a statue of him be up in lerin then? I was under the impression that lerin was still majority Macedonian, is that a false assumption?
            Most of your questions could be answered with a basic Google search. Yes Lerin is very much the centre of Macedonian culture in Greece but it is still under Greek control and we have no say in what statues get erected in our towns. Athens purposely erects statues of those who have wronged us in an act of intimidation and opression.
            I know of two tragic histories in the world- that of Ireland, and that of Macedonia. Both of them have been deprived and tormented.

Comment

• Liberator of Makedonija
              • Apr 2014

I decided to look him up after my original post, and it answered most of my questions; but thanks its still helpful for the replies. It's terrible what they do, I guess there still working to intimidate the Macedonians. I am curious are you from lerin?
              Heritage-wise, yes.
              I know of two tragic histories in the world- that of Ireland, and that of Macedonia. Both of them have been deprived and tormented.

Comment

Working...
              X