New Strategic Calculus for the Balkans (I)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bill77
    • Oct 2009

Fantastic and a must read which deserves its own thread.
    It makes plenty of sense (which some of the things he covers we already were suspicious of) And it's refreshing to see some of the points coming from someone other than a Macedonian.
    I felt it's appropriate posting it in this "Exposing lies and Propaganda" section which you will get after reading it.

New Strategic Calculus for the Balkans (II)
    Last edited by Bill77; 05-21-2015, 05:06 AM.
    http://www.macedoniantruth.org/forum/showthread.php?p=120873#post120873
  • George S.
    • Aug 2009

Who ever said that if you destabilize Macedonia you are going to inflame the whole eastern European region was right.It goes to show bill how violatile the area is .We all hoped by taking Macedonia into the eu and nato was going to prevent problems but its the reverse and things are getting worse.You know I read in an article? that the so called 40 terrorists coming through our borders that's the tip of the iceberg.Apparently there were more amassed on the border of Kosovo waiting to come in.They say at least 3000 kla's.I think by the skinof our teeth another 2001 war was luckily averted.We aren't really told the real gravity of the situation.It is really dire straits.Also the authorities are dealing with lunatics who will stop at nothing.
    "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
    GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• sydney
      • Sep 2008

It's always interesting to read from analysts on the region (and in this case a Russian one). However, I don't share Bill's enthusiasm on how this relates to Macedonia. There is an underlying assumption that Macedonia - just like Serbia - has somehow 'resisted' NATO, Europe and the USA, and therefore its geopolitical position in the new 'Central Balkans' is realised. Some quotes from the article:

"Chronological Progression Of The West-Central Balkan Division
      The strategic concept of the Central Balkans wasn’t formed overnight, and it’s informative to highlight the key events that led to its logical conceptualization. The catalyst for its creation was the unipolar world’s efforts to shrink Serbia and politically shackle it and Macedonia to the EU as backwater political and economic appendages (‘New Bulgarias’), while Greece has always found itself outside the European ‘mainstream’ and has historically behaved as a bridge between East and West. The coupling of Serbian and Macedonian resistance with the Greek identity’s incompatibility to enforced ‘Europeanization’ (nowadays manifested as severe austerity) provided the perfect mix for these states’ secession from the unipolar Western Balkans and strategic incorporation into their own multipolar Central Balkans category arranged around Balkan Stream."

"2008:
      The occupied Serbian Province of Kosovo unilaterally declares independence as directed to do so by its Western occupiers, in a move that was meant to ‘legitimize’ their presence in the region and perpetually keep Serbia and Macedonia in check. It also represented the formalization of the unipolar Western Balkans’ penetration into the heart of the Central Balkans."

"Nowadays only one empire remains and that’s the United States and its unipolar allies, which have been doing all they can to completely swallow the region over the past two and a half decades. Serbia and Macedonia are the only two regional holdouts remaining, and they form the core of a reconceptualized Balkan region, the Central Balkans, that’s partnering with Russia in staging a multipolar counter-offensive against this aggression. The geopolitical liberation that Balkan Stream would bring to the region, and quite possibly all of Europe, makes it one of the most globally impactful projects currently under construction, and it’s arguably central to Russia’s grand strategy in dismantling unipolarity."

Macedonia's official position for years has been entry into NATO and the EU. External factors out of Macedonia's control have determined that Macedonia has not yet joined NATO. I'm struggling to see how Macedonia has been 'holding out'.

Comment

Working...
      X