X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bill77
    • Oct 2009

Originally posted by Soldier of Macedon View Post
    I think the 'Slavic elements' in Homer's writing needs to be examined properly, so we can determine wether or not it is a waste of time, or if it is something worth promoting. We can't keep allowing large claims to be made by Macedonians if the evidence is lacking or not transparent.
    We cant jump the gun early like the neighbours do and end up with egg on our face, ie Greece and the "tomb of Philip" senario.

As much as we need to prove something, equaly the sceptics need to prove against what we or anyone discovers. so far i see Macedonian words that are similor to that of which Homer wrote. aparently there are around 1300 in total which i have yet to see or hear. I am still on the fence for now but, at this point of time, I have heard the Yeh side argument which has a point. Next i would like to hear the Neh side of the argument with there reasons or excuses why these words are if not the same, very similor.
    http://www.macedoniantruth.org/forum/showthread.php?p=120873#post120873

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
      • Sep 2008

I think it was Odisej Belchevsky that made the suggestion of Guslari in Macedonia, I haven't heard much about this, but I found the below link about Guslari in Macedonia:

Posledniot ohridski guslar by Aleksandar Sterjovski, 1994, Matica makedonska edition, in Macedonian

Aleksandar Sterjovski
      Published in 1994, Matica makedonska (Skopje)
      Posledniot ohridski guslar
      And this, but not sure if it is reference to Serbian or Macedonian guslari:

Branislav Rusić
      Published in 1940, [s.n.] (Beograd)
      Prilepski guslar Apostol
      And this general information from a wiki discussion:
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikiped...ruments_(music)
      But then we come to the Serbian/Macedonian/Yugoslavian gusle, and the issue becomes closely intertwined with nationalism and such, so I haven't used the picture of the Serbian gusle for the Macedonian entry, though as far as I am aware, there is no difference between the Serbian and Macedonian gusles. (for background: the gusle is a stringed instrument used across much of the former Yugoslavia. I found a source calling it the "national instrument" of Yugoslavia, and one for Macedonia and Serbia, both former parts of Yugoslavia. Since the image and sound sample are both very clearly labelled Serbian, I strongly suspect some might object to using it for the Macedonia entry, even if it is the same instrument (AFAIK there are no differences whatsoever). If it wasn't labeled with a country at all, I don't think anyone would bat an eye.)

What interests me most at the moment from the link you provided however, is the connection that the author tries to establish between the Homeric resemblance of the Guslari and the sad funeral songs/poems that mother's perform at the burial of a family member (particularly their children), where the words they are saying are almost akin to summoning the deceased to rise back up again. I will never forget the first time I heard my auntie doing this when my little cousin was being buried (may he rest in peace) years ago, it sent chills through my body.
      In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• makedonin
        • Sep 2008

I just listened to this: http://www.rhapsodes.fll.vt.edu/demosthenes.htm

It made my day. I almost falled off my chair.

The guy who reads it is giving his best. But the accent, it is really funny.

If demostenes was sounding nearly as this guy, I can imagine Philip becoming death laughter, and demostenes would have won the battle.
        Last edited by makedonin; 12-21-2009, 10:17 AM.
        To enquire after the impression behind an idea is the way to remove disputes concerning nature and reality.

Comment

• makedonin
          • Sep 2008

As for Belchevski. I kinda tend to disagree with most of the etymologies if not all of them.

But it would be troublesome and time expensive going through it, and don't even see the benefit of doing so.

I don't even understand the intention of making such etymologies with Macedonian and Slavic.

Linguistic are the most inaccurate science that exists today.

I can think of all those zeus etymologies dudes in the Macedonian Digest. I still can't decide if they are laughable or sad.
          To enquire after the impression behind an idea is the way to remove disputes concerning nature and reality.

Comment

Working...
          X