Clear All
  • Liberator of Makedonija
    • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Karposh View Post
    Od Tam Se Gleda...

English Translation follows:

From There You Can See...

I went up to Osogovo, from there you can see the Pirin Mountains,
    The Pirin Mountains and the Kresna plain.
    And so I called out loudly to the Pirin Mountains, “Hey Pirin, are you Macedonian?”
    “Tell me so it is known and shut our enemies up”
    Then I climbed up to Kozhuf Mountain, from there you can see the Solun plain,
    The Solun plain and Solun city.
    And so I called out loudly to Solun city, “Hey Solun, are you Macedonian?”
    “Tell me so it is known and shut our enemies up”
    Then I climbed up to the Shar Mountains, from there you can see the Macedonian Vardar,
    Macedonian Vardar and Macedonia.
    And so I called out loudly to Macedonia, “Don't mourn for Pirin and Solun,
    They are thinking of you and saying – Our Dear Mother is Macedonia”

Fantastic, who wrote it?
    I know of two tragic histories in the world- that of Ireland, and that of Macedonia. Both of them have been deprived and tormented.

Comment

• Niko777
      • Oct 2010

Originally posted by Amphipolis View Post
      What does the song say?
      Greek translation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDXr8vT9vD4

Comment

• Karposh
        • Aug 2015

Originally posted by Niko777 View Post
        Hi Niko, this must be an Aegean Macedonian interpretation of the original song. Sometimes they get a word or two wrong in their versions of songs originating from R. Mavedonia. This version says "Makedonski ni si (You are our Macedonian) instead of "Makedonski li si" (Are you Macedonian?) Just one incorrect letter was enough to change the whole essence of the song and the message it was trying to convey.

Another example, among quite a few, where they don't quite get it right is the song "Biser Balkanski". Instead of singing, "Sploti (to unite) Pirin, Egej sin, so bistri vodi Vardarski", they sing "Sproti (Across from) Pirin..."

Still pretty cool that they're singing these songs even if they muddle them at times.

Comment

• Liberator of Makedonija
          • Apr 2014

Hi Niko, this must be an Aegean Macedonian interpretation of the original song. Sometimes they get a word or two wrong in their versions of songs originating from R. Mavedonia. This version says "Makedonski ni si (You are our Macedonian) instead of "Makedonski li si" (Are you Macedonian?) Just one incorrect letter was enough to change the whole essence of the song and the message it was trying to convey.

Another example, among quite a few, where they don't quite get it right is the song "Biser Balkanski". Instead of singing, "Sploti (to unite) Pirin, Egej sin, so bistri vodi Vardarski", they sing "Sproti (Across from) Pirin..."

Still pretty cool that they're singing these songs even if they muddle them at times.

Ever stop to think that's just how it's sung in their native dialect?
          I know of two tragic histories in the world- that of Ireland, and that of Macedonia. Both of them have been deprived and tormented.

Comment

• Risto the Great
            • Sep 2008

Definitely dialectal and not grammatical errors. I only know sproti as an example. And "ni" is employed far more than "li"down South.
            Risto the Great
            MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
            "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• Karposh
              • Aug 2015

Originally posted by Liberator of Makedonija View Post
              Ever stop to think that's just how it's sung in their native dialect?
              No, I’m pretty sure it’s as simple as mishearing the lyrics of a song and not a dialect thing. A common thing in every language I would imagine. A few examples of English songs where the lyrics are misheard:

“Tiny Dancer” by Elton John.
              Misheard Lyrics: “Hold me tighter Tony Dancer” (A has-been actor from the ’80’s)
              Actual Lyrics: “Hold me tighter Tiny Dancer” (Actually, since we’re talking Elton John here, who knows with this one? The dirty poofter)

“Dirty Deeds” by AC/DC.
              Misheard Lyrics: “Dirty Deeds and the Dunder Kings”
              Actual Lyrics: “Dirty Deeds and they’re done dirt cheap”

“Shake it off” by Taylor Swift.
              Misheard Lyrics: “Bakers gonna bake, bake, bake, bake, bake”
              Actual Lyrics: “Fakers gonna fake, fake, fake, fake, fake”

And, a really famous one, the re-recording by Manfred Mann's Earth Band of Bruce Springsteen’s “Blinded by the Light”
              Misheard Lyrics: “Wrapped up like a Douche”
              Actual Lyrics: “Revved up like a Deuce”

Following is some commentary from Wikipedia about this amusing mishearing of the lyrics.

Manfred Mann's Earth Band's recording of the song changes the lyrics. The most prominent change is in the chorus, where Springsteen's "cut loose like a deuce" is replaced with "revved up like a deuce." This is commonly misheard as "wrapped up like a douche" (the V sound in "revved" is almost unpronounced, and the S sound in "deuce" comes across as "SH" due to a significant lisp). The lyric is actually a reference to a hot rod "deuce coupe". Springsteen was fond of classic hot rods in his youth, hence the line "revved up like a deuce, another runner in the night". Springsteen himself has joked about the controversy, claiming that it was not until Manfred Mann rewrote the song to be about a feminine hygiene product that it became popular.

And no, LoM, I never stop to think about things. I jus blurt things out as soon as they pop into my head…You goose.

Originally posted by Risto the Great View Post
              Definitely dialectal and not grammatical errors. I only know sproti as an example. And "ni" is employed far more than "li"down South.
              I disagree Risto. I know your roots are from Aegean Macedonia and I’m not telling you how to suck eggs but not understanding the meaning of a word is hardly dialectal. Personally, in my Bitola dialect, we never use sploti, which means to unite. We would say soedini, spoji or vklopi. Sproti is a common word in most Macedonian dialects which means “across from” and the meaning is completely different to sploti. It sounds similar to sploti, which is not often used, so they adopted sproti in place of sploti. Don’t you think it’s as simple as that? I mean I too was singing it with sproti until I found out it was actually sploti…And I had to look up the meaning of that word.
              Regarding “ni” and “li”, these too have completely different meanings and I think the same applies here too for adopting the word ni over li. It sounds similar.

Comment

• Risto the Great
                • Sep 2008

Words have different meanings. We say pitaj, others say prashaj .. which is hilarious to Egejci.
                Risto the Great

Comment

• Karposh
                  • Aug 2015

Words have different meanings. We say pitaj, others say prashaj .. which is hilarious to Egejci.
                  Yes, but they have exactly the same meaning. Adopting a word from your local dialect into a song which means the same thing as the word you have never heard of before would be completely understandable. However, what we're talking about here is adopting a word which sounds similar but has a completely different meaning. This would change the whole context of the song being sung. BTW, my mum is from the Prespa region and they too say pitaj instead of prashaj.

Comment

• Risto the Great
                    • Sep 2008

I have definitely heard wrong grammar being employed in Greece. No doubt about that. It's because they think it's more correct than their dialect and stuff it up trying. But don't discount the fact that different words are common and have different meanings. I said "druzhe" to someone from RoM and he thought I was a Yugo mate of his instead of meaning elsewhere as in "nekade druzhe".
                    Risto the Great

Comment

• Risto the Great
                      • Sep 2008

Surely the prosfigi should be excluded from any protests about Macedonia!
                      Risto the Great

Comment

• Karposh
                        • Aug 2015

Originally posted by Amphipolis View Post
                        Well, Solun DID give an answer today.
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwNDH9AY3cY
                        Were you in attendance too Amphipolis?

Comment

• Amphipolis
                          Banned
                          • Aug 2014

Were you in attendance too Amphipolis?
                          Nope, neither in 1992.

Comment

• Niko777
                            • Oct 2010

Surely the prosfigi should be excluded from any protests about Macedonia!
                            Lol...if it wasn't for them, there would be no Greek Macedonia

Comment

• Karposh
                              • Aug 2015

This is awesome. The link is to a Vlatko Miladinovski Christmas concert in Greece where he performs two of his best: Velat Ne Nema & Od Tam Se Gleda.

VLATKO MILADONOVSKI - VELAT NE NEMA - O TAM SE GLEDAMВелат нѐ нема, ама еве сме!!! Λένε ότι δεν υπάρχουμε αλλά εμείς εδώ είμαστε Από την εμφάνιση του VLATKO ...

Comment

Working...
                              X