Ancient Historians considered Macedonians as separate & distinct entity!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George S.
    • Aug 2009

The Athenians were'nt trustworthy of their conquerors.THey were stubborn & did not want to cooperate.IT's obvious that there was so much hatred of their conquerors around.BUt one thing that's for sure they weren't the same people or that Macedonia was a state of greece.Macedonia was a kingdom with a king distinctive from Grecce.
    "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
    GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
      • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Wanderer
      It is known that,Demosthenes had some kind of conflicts with Philip,because Philip had already ''beaten'' him at Macedonian Court.
      Are you trying to imply that it was only Demosthenes who viewed Phillip of Macedon as an enemy of the Hellenic city-states, because of some personal 'conflict'? I beg to differ, and so does history. Demosthenes saw what some Hellenes refused to see, and what he said ultimately came true, Macedonia conquered the city-states, Macedonian garrisons were placed in the heart of Hellas, and the Hellenes were reduced to basically a weak shadow of their former selves....no suprise that they all jumped and down for joy when Alexander and other Macedonian kings died, when the Romans came to save the Hellenes from the Macedonians. Have you read the reflection of the Hellenes about these events when they happened? Perhaps you should.
      In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• Pelister
        • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
        Interesting,but can you show me any other Athenean rhetor,except Demosthenes?It is known that,Demosthenes had some kind of conflicts with Philip,because Philip had already ''beaten'' him at Macedonian Court.
        At that time,Athens was in decrease.Rhetors were the ones that were really ruling the city-state.As you know,Atheneans were very sensitive on the freedom of speech.So especially,a famous rhetor could say whatever he wanted,up to a certain point in Ekklisia.
        Thank you,
        Demosthenes was clear about who the ancient Macedonians were, although new Greeks like to put a spin on it. Context is important but assuming that Demosthenes did not mean it is not evidence he did not mean it. We need to look at what Demosthenes said about the ancient Macedonians alongside a dozen or so others, which is what Eugene Borza does.

Comment

• Pelister
          • Sep 2008

Here is an eye-opener.

Gandeto, J.S., Difference between ancient Greeks and Macedonains ...

5. See Salonica Terminus by Fred A. Reed, published 1996; Victor Roudometof's The Macedonian Question Colombia University Press, 2000. The most chauvinistic account can be found in Martis' Falsification of Macedonian History, and AP Daskalakis The Hellenism of the Ancient Macedonians 1965

Macedonians did not worship the same Gods as the Greeks either. The fact that many Gods were found worshipped by both peoples can be attributed to the Greek desire to find Greek equivalent God with other people's deities. Pan, Poseidon, Asiris, Hera, Hestia, Themis, Dioscuri have no Greek origin and are not "Greek" Gods, but they all have a Greek equivalent. Besides, aren't all Greek Gods in fact Egyptian Gods? Didn't Herodotus state that? (Hdt.2. 50 (schedon de kai panton ta aunomata to theon ex Aiguptou eleluthe es ten Hellada). See also Hoddinott, The Thracians, 169-70.

Greek equivalents !?

Comment

• George S.
            • Aug 2009

I would guess that the greeks were colonists & they just took other peoples religion etc & over time called it ther own.Also The process of hellenisation can be said to include people as well,They would consider someone a greek who even spoke the Greek language.One needs to look today to see the absurdity of greek claims,look at greece it can't distinguish between skopje city & macedonia country.It calls Macedonia Skopians or monkeydonians.Macedonians are Macedonian from time immemorial.Where they are native to Macedonia.Where as Greeks are colonisers who arrived at the balkans a couple of thousands of years & were not native to the area.Where did the Greeks come from
            they came from the sudan subhara Afrika.So the Greeks over the years have claimed to be all sorts of people.THey have a lot to hide they should be happy with their Afrikan roots.It's not that bad when you think.They shouldn't deny their their ancient roots.
            The Macedonians were tall & fair,the greeks were short & black people.Greece is stealing other peoples flags,identity, changing history,making wild claims,taking other people's kings,stealing history,The greeks have been very subtle they accuse macedonia of stealing their history,accuse her of irrendist claims et etc when it's greece should be the one because they have a whole history of trying to masquerade as some one else.Plus Greece has paranoia & is scared of a teensy weensy defenceless country called macedonia.Stop hiding & come out of your closet!
            Last edited by George S.; 12-01-2009, 03:12 AM. Reason: edit
            "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
            GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
              • Sep 2008

Originally posted by GeorgeS
              Where did the Greeks come from they came from the sudan subhara Afrika................Macedonians were tall & fair,the greeks were short & black people
              George, while I agree with some of what you have written, with the quoted text above you do no Macedonian any favours, as such statements that lack corroboration are counter-productive. We've been down this road before bracko, we appreciate your presence here and want you to advance some of your arguments a little so they can hold more weight and be easier to back-up and defend.
              In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• Bill77
                • Oct 2009

Originally posted by Soldier of Macedon View Post
                George, while I agree with some of what you have written, with the quoted text above you do no Macedonian any favours, as such statements that lack corroboration are counter-productive. We've been down this road before bracko, we appreciate your presence here and want you to advance some of your arguments a little so they can hold more weight and be easier to back-up and defend.
                Arno reche SOM. dushmanite taka prat. zborvat bez veza i racist. Ne mozime po nivni pat da odime. Ne velam deka Gjorgi e takov. Gjorgi e patriotec, ama treba tro pojke odzbilni da sne site i pametno da si kazvame pravoto. pozz...... Shit my Maco is bad
                http://www.macedoniantruth.org/forum/showthread.php?p=120873#post120873

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                  • Sep 2008

You're Maco is fine Bill, se se razbra.

Comment

• Pelister
                    • Sep 2008

Jouguet, Pierre., Macedonian Imperialism and the Hellenization of the East, London, 1928

Greek considered the Macedonians to be barbarians.

Now the enemies of Macedon represented the Macedonians as barbarians ... p.68
                    The Macedonians did not consider themselves to be Greek either, even though its upper crust was gradually Hellenized.

What is important is to know whether by their culture, sentiments and disposition the Macedonians felt that they were Greeks and were received as such by the Hellenes? It seems fairly certain that they had gradually come to Hellenism rather than that they had originally belonged to it. It is also true that one can speak of the Hellenization of Macedonia. p.68
                    Isocrates and the Delphic Amphictiony make a case of Greek institutions excluding the Macedonians.

So little do the Macedonians seems to have belonged to the Hellenic community at the beginning, that they did not take part in the great Games of Greece, and when the Kings of Macedon were admitted to them it was not as Macedonians, but as Heraclids. Isocrates, in the Phillip, praises them for not having imposed their kingship on the Hellenese, to whom kingship is always oppressive, and for having gone among foriegners to establish it. He, therefore, did not regard the Macedonians as Greeks. So too, when after the Sacred War, Phillip obtained a voice in the Delphic Amphictiony, it was given to the King and not to the people of Macedonia. p. 69
                    Who were the Macedonian Kings fighting for ? For "Hellenism" or for the "Glory of Greece" ?

Certainly it was not for Greece that the King of Macedon was fighting. p. 394
                    Conclusion:

It is sufficient for our purposes to note that the Hellenes and the Macedonians regarded themselves as different nations ... p.69

Comment

• TrueMacedonian
                      • Jan 2009

Macedonia and Greece, by John Shea.
                      Slayer Of The Modern "greek" Myth!!!

Comment

• Brygian Seed
                        • Dec 2009

Originally posted by Soldier of Macedon View Post
                        In defense of George S. I believe his is referring to scientific research in genetics that traces the origin of those currently living in Greece as having originate from Sub-Saharan areas. The expression is rather direct and emotive, but is that not a Macedonian trait?

Comment

• TrueMacedonian
                          • Jan 2009

When Thessaly, late in the 5th century BC, was attacked by a Macedonian King, Archelaus, a speech "On Behalf of the Larissaeans" was composed by Thrasymachus contained the sentence;

Shall we be slaves to Archelaus, we, being Greeks, to a Barbarian.

Comment

• Pelister
                            • Sep 2008

There is a very interesting write up in the latest UMD Issue by Aleksandar Donski.

It has to be one of the greatest revelations I have read in some time.

It about the surviving the texts of ancient Macedonian historians. That's write. Ancient Macedonian historians, and there appears to be 8 newly discovered ancient historians who were all Macedonians.

Comment

• TrueMacedonian
                              • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Pelister View Post
                              There is a very interesting write up in the latest UMD Issue by Aleksandar Donski.

It has to be one of the greatest revelations I have read in some time.

It about the surviving the texts of ancient Macedonian historians. That's write. Ancient Macedonian historians, and there appears to be 8 newly discovered ancient historians who were all Macedonians.

I hope he redeems himself from his last book. If he can truly interpret these pages correctly I would love to know what is written from these ancient Macedonian writers. It's funny because I found an old topic on Maknews pertaining to this and asked if Donski found our smoking gun yet.

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                                • Sep 2008

I have heard about these ancient authors too, still waiting to see anything crebidle about them, or even their works for that matter.

Comment

Working...
                                X