Macedonians to buy out Egejska Makedonija?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mastika
    • Feb 2010

Originally posted by Prolet View Post
    Osiris, I think its an idea from one of the AMW readers

I guess they are looking at the Russians selling Alaska to the Americans as an example.
    This idea is nothing but stupidity. Unlike Alaska, Aegean Macedonia is NOT for sale.

Besides, we can't even buy back Western Macedonia, now buying other countries. No wonder people find it hard to take us seriously.

As for Rogi's idea, the Republic of Macedonia nor the diaspora is in no positiong to do what he is suggesting.

Comment

• Rogi
      • Sep 2008

Why do you suggest the Republic of Macedonia is in no position to buy a part of the port at Solun?

In the time of Yugoslavia, a part of the Solun port was in the same manner 'owned' by Yugoslavia.

Macedonia has excellent reserves, it has an excellent credit rating and well managed debt levels, it can most definitely afford such an action, and it will pay itself ten-fold given how substantial the trade between Macedonia and Greece, and the Macedonian imports and exports via Greece are.

As for the farmer's markets and the CBD of the main cities in Aegean Macedonia, again I think you're wrong. Take Lerin as an example - quite a substantial portion of the city-centre is already owned by (proud) Macedonians, many of whom are in Australia.

If you head on out to the food market in Lerin, you will hear Macedonians screaming out 'piperki' and so on, most of the stalls are taken up from Macedonians from Lerin.

So, I'm talking about buying out the stalls (already run by Macedonians), renting out the shops (already owned by Macedonians) only in a more organised manner with the intent of influencing trade and commerce in the city in such a way that Macedonian becomes the language of trade and commerce. So when all the buyers (shop owners) are Macedonians and deal in Macedonian, then all the farmers who want to sell their crops will need to sell them to the buyers, communicating in Macedonian, and so on.

Quite feasible and realistic, in fact if this weren't a public forum I could probably post some real details and figures.

Comment

• Mastika
        • Feb 2010

Originally posted by Rogi View Post
        Why do you suggest the Republic of Macedonia is in no position to buy a part of the port at Solun?

In the time of Yugoslavia, a part of the Solun port was in the same manner 'owned' by Yugoslavia.

Macedonia has excellent reserves, it has an excellent credit rating and well managed debt levels, it can most definitely afford such an action, and it will pay itself ten-fold given how substantial the trade between Macedonia and Greece, and the Macedonian imports and exports via Greece are.
        Why do you think Greece would allow a non-hyphenated Macedonia to share in the "spoils" lets say. If Greece controls Macedonias lifeline, then therefore they are prone to excercise more influence, which was demonstrated by the blockade 15 years ago. What I am trying to say, is that the Republic is not a position to buy it, because it is not in a position to be sold.

Originally posted by Rogi View Post
        As for the farmer's markets and the CBD of the main cities in Aegean Macedonia, again I think you're wrong. Take Lerin as an example - quite a substantial portion of the city-centre is already owned by (proud) Macedonians, many of whom are in Australia.

If you head on out to the food market in Lerin, you will hear Macedonians screaming out 'piperki' and so on, most of the stalls are taken up from Macedonians from Lerin.

So, I'm talking about buying out the stalls (already run by Macedonians), renting out the shops (already owned by Macedonians) only in a more organised manner with the intent of influencing trade and commerce in the city in such a way that Macedonian becomes the language of trade and commerce. So when all the buyers (shop owners) are Macedonians and deal in Macedonian, then all the farmers who want to sell their crops will need to sell them to the buyers, communicating in Macedonian, and so on.
        What you are suggesting is also highly unlikely. I think it makes very little difference whether or not the building is owned by a local or a foreign citizen originally from Macedonia. In the end it comes down to $$$. The diaspora is not a charity.

As for reasserting the Macedonian language, this cannot originate from Commercial fields rather from a domestic one (household). The majority firstly cannot read/write the proper Macedonian, so I cannot see how anything "official" will be able to be conducted in Macedonian.

Without education no language can assert itself. We are having enough trouble trying to convince Macedonians to use the language at home, with their children, in private, let alone trying to convince non-Macedonians to speak the language of a foreign country in the workplace! The fact of the matter is, sadly, until Macedonia asserts the Macedonian language IN Macedonia, there will be very little success outside of the country.

Comment

Working...
        X