US Census 2010 - How do I make it known that I am Macedonian?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Piperka
    • Feb 2010

US Census 2010 - How do I make it known that I am Macedonian?

How do I make it known that I am Macedonian in the US Census 2010?

Become a fan of the page, educate your friends and family, and suggest the fan page to all your Macedonian friends from the USA.

-----

The U.S. Census counts every resident in the United States, and is required by the Constitution to take place every 10 years.

In March of 2010, census forms will be delivered to every residence in the United States and Puerto Rico. When you receive yours, just answer the 10 short questions and then mail the form back in the postage-paid envelope provided. If you don't mail the form back, you may receive a visit from a census taker, who will ask you the questions from the form. Any personal data you provide is protected under federal law.

The data from the US Census 2000 reports that only 38,051 Macedonians are in the USA.

Below is the total number of Macedonians by state that made it known that they were Macedonian in the US Census 2000.

Do you believe these numbers accurately represent the number of Macedonians in your state?

Arizona 505
    California 2,303
    Connecticut 668
    Florida 1,181
    Illinois 2,865
    Indiana 4,254
    Michigan 7,801
    Minnesota 306
    New Jersey 3,772
    New York 4,740
    Ohio 4,468
    Pennsylvania 1,194
    Texas 474
    Wisconsin 292

We all know that those number are not accurate. People of Macedonian heritage in the United States of America need to MAKE IT BE KNOWN that they are Macedonian in the US Census 2010.

This is the only way we'll be able to show growth and have an accurate count of how many Macedonians are really living in the USA. Census data provides a snapshot of the changing population and helps ensure appropriate representation for our community.

- WHERE? -

Question #9 from the first form of the US Census forms and Question #6 from subsequent forms for additional members of your household.

- HOW? -

Mark the "Some other race" box and write-in "Macedonian" below it. Also, mark other races that you identify yourself with.

- Why are our numbers so low? -

We don't know exactly, but it might have to do with many Macedonians not filling out the form and/or filling the form out incorrectly and not writing-in Macedonian in the proper place. It most likely has to do with the fact that many Macedonians did not receive the long form version of the US Census 2000 form, which included questions on ancestry and language that was sent to a small percentage of the population.

- Macedonian isn't a race. Why should we do this? -

The forms have changed and only the short form will be used in the US Census 2010. This has led to the removal of the ancestry question on the US census forms. Now, the ancestry question will only be found on the American Community Survey that is only sent to a sample of the US population in a handful of cities. Because race and ethnicity are so intertwined in the USA and there is no ancestry question, many ethnic-based groups are urging their members to mark the "Some other race" box and write-in their nationality/ethnicity. This is not something that just Macedonians are doing and it does not mean that we, or those ethnic groups, feel we are a separate and distinct race. If you look at the samples above you will see that some ethnicities, such as Chinese and Japanese, are listed separately under the race question. Hopefully, this will lead to an ancestry question and/or a write-in ethnicity box under the "White" race to be included on the forms for 2020. If you receive an American Community Survey, make sure you write-in "Macedonian" under "Question 13 - What is this person’s ancestry or ethnic origin?" in the more detailed section of the questionnaire and inform everyone you know about that survey and the importance of filling it out accurately and returning it.

- What are other Macedonians doing? -

Some Macedonians are planning on marking the "White" box and marking "Some other race" and writing-in Macedonian. It is up to you what you decide to do, but if you want to count yourself as a Macedonian make sure you mark "Some other race" and write-in Macedonian below it.

- Important Links -

Here is a language guide in Macedonian for you to share with your relatives and friends that do not know English -

Here is a sample of the US Census 2010 form -

Here is a sample of American Community Survey form -

Share this information with your friends and family!
    Last edited by Piperka; 03-11-2010, 02:59 PM.
  • Prolet
    • Sep 2009

Spolaj Ti Piperka,

My opinion is that the UMD are already on it, its a great initiative to raise awareness and getting the people to finally declare themselves as Macedonians not some other nationality.
    МАКЕДОНЕЦ си кога кавал ќе ти ја распара душата,зурла ќе ти го раскине срцето,кога секое влакно од кожата ќе ти се наежи кога ќе видиш шеснаесеткрако сонце,кога до коска ќе те заболи кога ќе слушнеш ПЈРМ,кога немаш ни за леб,а полн си во душата затоа што ја сакаш МАКЕДОНИЈА. МАКЕДОНИЈА во срце те носиме.

Comment

• Buktop
      • Oct 2009

Those numbers are not at all accurate, we are at least double that here in New Jersey. Just my Church alone gets well over 2500 Macedonians who attend. That doesn't even include the other church's attendants.
      "I'm happy to answer any question and I don't hide from that"

Never once say you walk upon your final way
      though skies of steel obscure the blue of day.
      Our long awaited hour will draw near
      and our footsteps will thunder - We are Here!

Comment

• Piperka
        • Feb 2010

Originally posted by Prolet View Post
        Spolaj Ti Piperka,

My opinion is that the UMD are already on it, its a great initiative to raise awareness and getting the people to finally declare themselves as Macedonians not some other nationality.
        A lot of organizations and individuals are raising awareness. The facebook page above was created by the Macedonian Outreach Society of Sts. Peter & Paul Macedonian Orthodox Church in Crown Point, Indiana. I hope others are doing the same at the local level.

Comment

• Piperka
          • Feb 2010

Originally posted by Buktop View Post
          Those numbers are not at all accurate, we are at least double that here in New Jersey. Just my Church alone gets well over 2500 Macedonians who attend. That doesn't even include the other church's attendants.
          I think the numbers will go down because the ancestry question was removed and only a small percentage of the Macedonian community will mark "some other race" and write-in Macedonian. Not because they don't want to, but rather because they don't know. Let's hope that 2020's census will have an ancestry question or a write-in box below "White" where we can write in our ethnicity.

We do need to make sure that those of us that receive the American Community Survey write-in that our ancestry/ethnicity is Macedonian and that we speak Macedonian at home. The ACS uses estimates because it is sent to a small percentage of the population in the US, which means it still won't be an accurate count of how many Macedonians are living in the US. For 2006-2008 the ACS estimates 50,719 Macedonians live in the USA.

Comment

• UMDiaspora.org
            • Oct 2009

The more involved the merrier.

Piperka - please contact us privately about the American Community Survey. The number actually went down by 4,000 in the last American Community Survey. Thus, it is our belief that Macedonians are not being counted accurately. UMD will be participating in the Count Committee during next year's American Community Survey.
            For comments, questions, concerns, please contact us at:

United Macedonian Diaspora
            http://www.umdiaspora.org

1101 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW, 6th Floor, Washington, D.C. 20004, United States
            Phone: (202) 756-2244, Fax: (202) 756-7323, E-mail: [email protected]

PO Box 2153, Hawthorn, Vic. 3122, Australia
            Phone: 0438 385 466, E-mail: [email protected]

3555 St. Clair Avenue East, Toronto, ON, M1K 1L6, Canada
            Phone: 416-209-0448, E-mail: [email protected]

Comment

Working...
            X