X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bill77
    • Oct 2009

Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
    The one photo I asked you,is Philip III Arrhidaeus?
    Here you go wanderer, The first photo i posted of Phillip II was this,(infact i had writen Phillip I which was a mis print)

Now this is another Photo from wiki,

Are they not the same person?

Any way, my point was to show the diferance in apearance between the Ancient Hellenes and The Ancient Macedonians.
    Last edited by Bill77; 12-10-2009, 06:09 AM.
    http://www.macedoniantruth.org/forum/showthread.php?p=120873#post120873

Comment

• Wanderer
      • Nov 2009

For example,I took two different pictures,the one of Alcibiades and the other of Great Alexander.Dunno,do you see that big difference?

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
        • Sep 2008

They look very similar indeed, both the one's for Phillip and Alexander, thanks for highlighting this fellas.
        In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• airjacobs
          • Jul 2010

It probably represents a member of the Ptolemaic dynasty. This is the succession of Macedonians who ruled Egypt from the death of Alexander the Great in 323 B.C. until the annexation of Egypt by Rome and the suicide of Cleopatra in 30 B.C. it is such then a historical tyhread actually.
          Last edited by airjacobs; 08-04-2010, 09:45 PM. Reason: Macedonians are not Greeks.
          No Good War

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
            • Sep 2008

Notice the emphasis on Macedonians, airjacobs? We won't accept the application of artificial names like 'Macedonian Greeks' and other garbage terminology here as you see fit, call the people what they were, Macedonians. If you have a racist problem with referring to Macedonians as Macedonian, then disappear.
            In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• Sputnik
              • Oct 2011

Pardon me if this news has already been brought up, which is quite possible since the article dates back May last year.

Archaeologists Discover Vessels from Bronze Age and 4th Century in Eastern Macedonia

BalkanTravellers.com

17 May 2010 | A whole range of glass vessels dating to the end of the third and beginning of the fourth century and a unique vessel from the Mid-Bronze Age were discovered by archaeologists at the Tsarevi Kuli site near the town of Strumica in eastern Macedonia.

In addition to the find from the Bronze Age, the most significant of the latest finds at the Strumica Fortress are the rare examples of small glass amphorae, the archaeologists told the Vecher newspaper.

According to them, these latest finds only confirm what previous discoveries have suggested – that Strumica was a significant centre during its entire existence, through which passed cultural influences from the North to the South and from the East to the West.

Regarding the glass amphorae, there are several such vessels in the Tsarevi Kuli site, but in Macedonia as a whole, such vessels were found only in the Zelino area around Skopje, archaeologist Zoran Ruyak, head of the Tsarevi Kuli excavations told the publication. They were written about in the 1970s, and since then – according to the archaeologists, no such findings have been made.

In addition to the amphorae discovered on the southeastern slope of the site where in 2008 archaeologists concluded a prehistoric settlement existed, the team also found richly decorated pots dating from the Mid-Bronze Age.

The discovered vessel dates to somewhere between 1800 and 1540 BC. “I think that with this vessel, for now unique for Macedonia, and with the other finds from that time, Tsarevi Kuli becomes one of the prehistoric centres in Macedonia,” Ruyak told the publication.

As BalkanTravellers.com reported in April, archaeologists at the Tsarevi Kuli site discovered, less than a month ago, a unique lamp from the fourth century with the image of Alexander the Great and gold jewellery from the second century BC.

The site, which has undergone excavations for the last three years, has yielded other finds as well, including: coins with the image of Philip II of Macedon, amphorae, vessels, cups, jewellery, fragments from vases, ceramics and figurines from the fourth century BC and a collection of around 80 silver Venetian coins, dating to the end of the thirteenth and the beginning of the fourteenth centuries.

Read more about Macedonia on BalkanTravellers.com
              Use BalkanTravellers.com's tips to organize your trip to Macedonia

http://www.balkantravellers.com/en/read/article/1963

Comment

• Bill77
                • Oct 2009

Here is something very interesting i just came across on the net.

Allegedly they are coins from the period around the Fall of the Macedonian kingdom to Rome.

What do you notice about these coins?

Comment

• makedonche
                  • Oct 2008

Bill77
                  Ne znam? Kazhi mi
                  On Delchev's sarcophagus you can read the following inscription: "We swear the future generations to bury these sacred bones in the capital of Independent Macedonia. August 1923 Illinden"

Comment

• Bill77
                    • Oct 2009

Originally posted by makedonche View Post
                    Bill77
                    Ne znam? Kazhi mi
                    Read the Name on these Coins. Am i seeing things, or does it say ALEXANDROV

Comment

• makedonche
                      • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Bill77 View Post
                      ....good find, better check with our resident linguist! Hey SoM sho mislish?
                      On Delchev's sarcophagus you can read the following inscription: "We swear the future generations to bury these sacred bones in the capital of Independent Macedonia. August 1923 Illinden"

Comment

• La Bira
                        Banned
                        • Nov 2011

Originally posted by Bill77 View Post
                        It says ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΥ (Alexandrou), as all coins usually do. It's the genitive case of Alexader, while the nominative case is ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ (Alexandros).

Comment

• Risto the Great
                          • Sep 2008

"ov" would not be suggesting a family name.
                          I would be more inclined to agree with the patiently silent La Bira in this instance.
                          La Bira, wanna have a go at the questions re the youtube link you posted.
                          Risto the Great
                          MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
                          "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                            • Sep 2008

Originally posted by La Bira View Post
                            It says ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΥ (Alexandrou), as all coins usually do. It's the genitive case of Alexader........
                            The Greek genitive -ou is equivalent to -ov in today's Macedonian for words such as Petrovden - (St) Peter's day, Aleksandrovo zname - Alexander's flag, etc.

Comment

Working...
                            X