Isocrates - Letter to Phillip II of Macedon (4th Century BC)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Akzion
    Banned
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Soldier of Macedon View Post
    Even after his death this so-called Persian agent was praised by the Hellenes, who wrote at the base of his statue that: Had you for Hellas been strong, as wise you were, The Macedonian had not conquered her.
    This is from Plutarch's Demosthenes (30,5), so here's an accurate translation:
    Είπερ ίσην ρώμην, γνώμη Δημόσθενες, είχες, ουποτ` αν Ελλήνων ήρξεν Άρης Μακεδών
    If you had (physical) strength, Demosthenes, equal to your knowledge (understanding, intellect), never would have Hellenes be led by a Macedonian Ares (Mars).

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
      • Sep 2008

Here is another.
      http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/...osthenes*.html

"If thy strength had only been equal to thy purposes, Demosthenes,
      Never would the Greeks have been ruled by a Macedonian Ares."
      Amusing how you try to soften and twist it by using 'led' instead of 'ruled' or 'conquered', spin it however you want, it still spells the same - the Macedonian domination and conquest of Greece. Have you addressed your concerns with Loeb Classical Library yet?
      In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• George S.
        • Aug 2009

Now the modern greeks are only too happy to appropriate anything macedonian.It's clear from what i have read that demosthenes hated the macedonian domination so much that he flew into a rage that was very often.He was hoping that alexander would be killed in the battle of chaeronea & when he found out he wasn't he flew in a fit of rage.
        "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
        GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

Working...
        X