• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • spitfire
    Banned
    • Aug 2014

Originally posted by George S. View Post
    yeah the albanians got in troyuble in the navy where they spoke albanian and were told only to speak greek.In any of the wars macedonians etc were used like cannon fodder in the frontline.They were told they are fighting for freedom what a lie.
    I'm not sure what you mean exactly, but wearing italian design clothes doesn't make you italian.
    As for the army, well it's been a long time since my service, but I think that the language you are suppossed to speak is greek. Along with many other things.
    I mean that when I was doing my service, even political newspaper were not allowed. Sport newspapers were allowed. I don't know what's changed since then.

Comment

• George S.
      • Aug 2009

The albanians were service men in the greek navy they happen to speak albanian.The authorities weren'too happy with that.
      "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
      GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• Philosopher
        • Sep 2008

Originally posted by spitfire View Post
        I'm not sure what you mean exactly, but wearing italian design clothes doesn't make you italian.
        As for the army, well it's been a long time since my service, but I think that the language you are suppossed to speak is greek. Along with many other things.
        I mean that when I was doing my service, even political newspaper were not allowed. Sport newspapers were allowed. I don't know what's changed since then.
        You mean to tell me you are not a teenager? You are not on drugs? You are not playing "Call of Duty"? No football with your mates?

How can this be?

Comment

• SoutherNeighbour
          • Aug 2014

Originally posted by Momce Makedonce View Post
          Is there a significant number that identify as Albanians? Based on your experiences.
          Unfortunately most of them have been assimilated by the Greek propaganda.I think only a handful of them are even aware that they have a direct link with Albania.Most of them even find it offensive to be linked to their Albanian brothers.

The vast majority of Arvanites in Greece self-identify as Greeks.Besides Arvanitika (their mother tongue) is dying very quickly in Greece.Out of the 1 million or so Arvanites in today's Greece I would say that less than a quarter can understand it but only a very small % can actually speak it at a satisfactory level.Mostly old people speak it I guess.The current projection is that by 2030 Arvanitika will be extinct in Greece.

On the other hand there are some sporadic reports of just a handful of Arvanites who self-identify as Albanians in Greece.Unfortunately this is becoming very rare to find.

Comment

• spitfire
            Banned
            • Aug 2014

Originally posted by Philosopher View Post
            You mean to tell me you are not a teenager? You are not on drugs? You are not playing "Call of Duty"? No football with your mates?

How can this be?
            Well I feel young.

Comment

• Philosopher
              • Sep 2008

Originally posted by SoutherNeighbour View Post
              Unfortunately most of them have been assimilated by the Greek propaganda.I think only a handful of them are even aware that they have a direct link with Albania.Most of them even find it offensive to be linked to their Albanian brothers.

The vast majority of Arvanites in Greece self-identify as Greeks.Besides Arvanitika (their mother tongue) is dying very quickly in Greece.Out of the 1 million or so Arvanites in today's Greece I would say that less than a quarter can understand it but only a very small % can actually speak it at a satisfactory level.Mostly old people speak it I guess.The current projection is that by 2030 Arvanitika will be extinct in Greece.

On the other hand there are some sporadic reports of just a handful of Arvanites who self-identify as Albanians in Greece.Unfortunately this is becoming very rare to find.
              Important observations. There are two things I would like to ask you. First, is it obvious, self-evident if you will, that the Arvanite population in Greece, though essentially Greek, is Albanian? Is there something in their physical appearance, dress, manners, customs, anything, that would allow an ethnic Greek to distinguish an ethnic Albanian?

Second, do ethnic Greeks intermix with the Arvanite population? Does the Arvanite population only intermix with itself? Would an ethnic Greek, if he or she were to ascertain the ethnic status of a Greek Albanian, would he or she not marry that person?

Comment

• SoutherNeighbour
                • Aug 2014

I think the assimilation of Arvanites is so successful in Greek society that the above questions do not apply really.

I mean that the Arvanites have blended in so good in the Greek society that they are indistinguishable from the rest.The rest of the Greeks additionally have accepted them like their own.

In fact in today's Greece people do not perceive Arvanites different than the rest of the Greeks.Most of the Greeks do not acknowledge any relationship between Arvanites and Albanians and consider them equally Greeks.

In fact today if you speak about someone who is Arvanitis in Greece most people will immediately associate them with ''stubbornness'' (there is a relevant Greek proverb on them) and not with any kind of a minority .They wont even blink an eye in the assumption that they might be related to Albanians.They know that Arvanites themselves really dislike being associated with Albania.
                Last edited by SoutherNeighbour; 09-08-2014, 12:28 PM.

Comment

• Bill77
                  • Oct 2009

Recently I've came to some realisation. The world we live in is a lie.

On the topic of this thread and more to the recent posts....I say this.

Arvanites thinking they are Greeks, is a lie. Greeks thinking they are Greeks is a lie. Also us Macedonians thinking we are Macedonians is a lie. Hatred we all have for each other stems from lies. Why must we all be segregated belong to a particular race, isn't just being part of a human race enough? What has gone so wrong with the human race?

What's wrong with our world? Well the world we live in has a mental illness. This illness is given to us not long after the day we are born and gets worse as we grow. Our parents, religious leaders, community leaders, Governments, Schools all play part in establishing this mental illness in us, but they are not the root of the cause, nor are they entirely to blame. How can they be when they are also part of this world and infected by this mental illness.

So who is to blame? I am.......until people understand and can put their hand up and admit "I am to blame" humanity will keep suffering and only get worse.

"Humanity is going to require a substantially
                  New way of thinking if it is to survive."

Albert Einstein

"The world is his,
                  Who can see through its pretension.....
                  See it to be a lie, and you have already dealt it it's mortal blow."

Ralph Waldorf Emerson.
                  http://www.macedoniantruth.org/forum/showthread.php?p=120873#post120873

Comment

• SoutherNeighbour
                    • Aug 2014

Exactly Bill.This stupid segregation between people is just beyond me...I do not recognise any borders,nationalities etc that divide the human experience.I do not recognise any religion or made up concept that segregates us.

We are all different and we are all unique...I will never ever stop dreaming about a universally united humanity that is strengthen and not weakened by its diversity.
                    Last edited by SoutherNeighbour; 09-09-2014, 04:09 AM.

Comment

• Risto the Great
                      • Sep 2008

Originally posted by SoutherNeighbour View Post
                      Exactly Bill.This stupid segregation between people is just beyond me...I do not recognise any borders,nationalities etc that divide the human experience.I do not recognise any religion or made up concept that segregates us.

We are all different and we are all unique...I will never ever stop dreaming about a universally united humanity that is strengthen and not weakened by its diversity.
                      Good on you mate.
                      Seriously.
                      I enjoy travelling because it forces me to challenge my beliefs. I am constantly amazed with the people I meet in the places I go. It humbles me and we all need that.

My most recent humbling experience was in Thailand last month where we constantly get harassed by tailors who want to sell us some shirts, suits etc. They are all Indian looking typically. My sons were with me and I told them I would speak Macedonian to the tailors, and the first one who could respond to me in Macedonian would get my custom. My sons thought is was a great laugh. Well, they know all kinds of languages, but Macedonian escaped their repertoire. So I had no tailor. It was not very nice behaviour on my part.

I wanted some shirts for myself and my sons, so I selected a tailor and went into his rooms. We chatted and I asked his life story. He was a Pakistani who happened to be Christian. This is not so good in a Talibanising nation such as Pakistan. He was highly educated and spoke a number of languages and had lived in Thailand for 10 years. He had tried to immigrate into Australia so many times to no avail.

He literally grabbed my sons and told them how lucky they were and they should seize upon all the opportunities they can find. Meanwhile his kids are being educated in Thailand and being ostracised for being different.

We all took something from our chat and he overcharged me by about $20 but I let it slide. Which is something I normally never let happen lol

Point being, everyone has a story to tell.

Other point being, so many hateful Greeks that can't see the human in front of the Macedonian ..... should be hung, drawn and quartered.
                      Risto the Great
                      MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
                      "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• George S.
                        • Aug 2009

yeah i see the [point ridto run it up the flagpole and see if anyone will salute.Thailand means in macedonian i'm told long land.I read it somewhere.It just proves a point that people had once a common language.I think it has been lost in time.As far as the tailors there is a saying they are a dime a dozen.Whether you get what you pay is another story.
                        If they knew sanscrit.Sans skrtajne.THey would understand brat sestra.edno dve ,tri cetiri,pet in macedonian.
                        "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
                        GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• tchaiku
                          • Nov 2016

Originally posted by Soldier of Macedon View Post
                          A collection of excerpts gathered from this forum, largely brought to our attention by Daskalot and TrueMacedonian, who have buried many a myth of the modern Greek on countless occasions.

Origins of the inhabitants of Modern Greece:

Albanian origins of the liberators and leaders of Modern Greece:

Title page. Page 30. Source: History of the Greek Revolution By George Finlay, Published by W. Blackwood and sons, 1861, page 30. The first President of Greece was an Albanian who could not speak a word of modern Greek. Why is that so? Why is not George Konduriottes mentioned over at Wikipedia as a President of Greece?

On March 13th 1821, twelve days before the official beginning of the War of Independence, the first revolutionary flag was actually raised on the island of Spetses by Laskarina Bouboulina. Twice widowed with 7 children but extremely rich she owned several ships. On April 3rd Spetses revolted, followed by the islands of Hydra

....in front of the Bavarian Queen of modern "greece" no less who did not enjoy it at all lol :D My goodness I can't believe I keep finding this type of crap about your forefathers.

Reflections on the East Roman Empire:

Philhellenism; its aim and impact:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20090620/ennew_afp/entertainmentgreecearchaeologymuseumdiplomacy_20090620194049 Greece demands marbles return as new Acropolis opens by Helene Colliopoulou Helene Colliopoulou Sat Jun 20, 3:39 pm ET ATHENS (AFP) Greek President Carolos Papoulias on Saturday ramped up pressure on Britain to

The foundations of Neo-Hellenic Culture:

:eek: My goodness the Parthenon was used as a mosque, the Germans basically gave you "classical culture" (not to mention the term 'Hellenism' :rolleyes:) and churches were destroyed en mass to make way for this new culture. Now do you see why we think you people are brainwashed imposter hellenes?

Yeah modern "greeks" related to ancient Hellenes :rolleyes: sure they were.

I always thought that there were ethnic "greeks" that built their own cities let alone there most famous classical city :rolleyes:

Need I say more.
                          Bookmarked.

Comment

• Carlin
                            • Dec 2011

Comment

• Stevce
                              • Jan 2016

After the creation of Greece in 1830, it later annexed the Ionian Islands (1864), Thessaly (1881), Macedonia, Crete, southern Epirus and the Eastern Aegean Islands (1913), Western Thrace (1920) and the Dodecanese (1947), making them Greek territory.

Comment

Working...
                              X