X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dejan
    • Sep 2008

...and around and around we go the athenian merry-go-round
    You want Macedonia? Come and take it from my blood!

A prosperous, independent and free Macedonia for Macedonians will be the ultimate revenge to our enemies.

Comment

• Risto the Great
      • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Makedonia View Post
      Instead of pointing out what I am showing, may I suggest you show me your side of the coin, Sir.
      What about the quote?
      Every academic on the planet describes Macedonia's HellenistIC period.
      Do you modern Greeks so strongly identify with the Ancient Hellenes that you feel you have a greater claim to them than the modern Macedonians? Is it Capo D'Istria's choice of language or something 180 years ago that gives you this strong sense of historic ownership. Or were you one of those 3 people protesting in Athens recently about worshiping Pagan gods?

C'mon, lets delve into this fascination you guys have with antiquity.
      Risto the Great
      MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
      "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• Pelister
        • Sep 2008

Agreed.

Refer to my signature for clarification.
        Duly noted, but presented out of context, and context is everything.

I could accept your claim that Solun was named after Heracles. I really wouldn't know.

What I do know is that Heracles was worshipped among various Barbarian tribes of the ancient world; including the present day Nordic countries.

Solun, if named after Heracles, may just as easily been named by any one of the 'Barbarian' peoples worshipping him.

Comment

• Rogi
          • Sep 2008

How is 'Solun' of Bulgarian origin?
          You do realise that, for example, the Croats also call it 'Solun' ?

A bit ignorant on your part and that of your country.

Here's a "did you know":

Did you know that, in the name negotiations, one of the points that Greece wants in there, is for Macedonia no longer to refer to the place-names in Aegean Macedonia as "Lerin, Solun, Voden", etc. The Greeks want Macedonia and the Macedonians to no longer refer to these places with those names, as according to them, it implies territorial aspirations.

This is despite other nations having the same names, i.e. Croatians call it Solun, etc... I suppose most of the Balkans have territorial aspirations against Greece?

Comment

• Pelister
            • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Rogi View Post
            How is 'Solun' of Bulgarian origin?
            You do realise that, for example, the Croats also call it 'Solun' ?

A bit ignorant on your part and that of your country.

Here's a "did you know":

Did you know that, in the name negotiations, one of the points that Greece wants in there, is for Macedonia no longer to refer to the place-names in Aegean Macedonia as "Lerin, Solun, Voden", etc. The Greeks want Macedonia and the Macedonians to no longer refer to these places with those names, as according to them, it implies territorial aspirations.

This is despite other nations having the same names, i.e. Croatians call it Solun, etc... I suppose most of the Balkans have territorial aspirations against Greece?
            It's astounding I know.

The best thing to do would be to end these negotiations. They were never fair, and Greece which has been offered a number of proposals has shown, it is not interested in preserving the Macedonians identity at all. It almost got the Macedonians to actually negate their own identity, history and culture, but we got through it.

The Greek State will never accept the Macedonian minority, or any ethnic minority for that matter.

Comment

• Rogi
              • Sep 2008

Bitola.

William of Tyre (1139 - 1186) mentioned the town for the first time under the name Butella.

the 12th century, the Arab traveller Idrisi wrote: "It takes two days to travel from Ahrida (Ohrid) to Butili (Bitola) to the east. Butili is a wonderful, nice town".

Comment

• Pelister
                • Sep 2008

The point you bring up Goce upsets me, but thats the reality of the situation.

Asking Macedonians to stop using their traditional names on their traditional lands, is diabolical.

Comment

• Makedonia
                  Banned
                  • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Risto the Great View Post
                  What about the quote?
                  Every academic on the planet describes Macedonia's HellenistIC period.
                  Do you modern Greeks so strongly identify with the Ancient Hellenes that you feel you have a greater claim to them than the modern Macedonians? Is it Capo D'Istria's choice of language or something 180 years ago that gives you this strong sense of historic ownership. Or were you one of those 3 people protesting in Athens recently about worshiping Pagan gods?

C'mon, lets delve into this fascination you guys have with antiquity.
                  Are you implying that Kapodistria chose the wrong language.

Should he have chosen a Slavic language to establish greater authenticity to the ancient Hellenistic states like Makedonia?

Comment

• Jankovska
                    • Sep 2008

Are you implying that Kapodistria chose the wrong language.

Should he have chosen a Slavic language to establish greater authenticity to the ancient Hellenistic states like Makedonia?
                    Macedonia was never a hellenistic state, If you like to have a conversation stop provoking and actually behave like a decent human being, if that is possible.
                    Macedonia was diiferent from all the Hellenistic states you had, Macedonia fought wars with Sparta and Athens and Macedonia ruled them. History proves that. Even the so called Greeks hated the Macedonian and saw them as something lower, barbarians.
                    Battle of Chaeronea 338 BC, Philip King of Macedon fought the Athenians and took the biggest victory.

Battle of Chaeronea (338 BCE): decisive battle in which king Philip II of Macedonia overcame Athens and Thebes, which meant, essentially the end of Greek independence.
                    The war between the Greek city states and Macedonia became inevitable when, in 340, king Philip of Macedonia was besieging Perinthus -on the west bank of the Sea of Marmara - and the Macedonians captured a food convoy headed for Athens. Immediately, Athens declared war and started a blockade of the Macedonian ports. Philip, who had already discovered that Perinthus received supplies from the Persian Empire, and found himself fighting against Persian armies in Europe, broke off the siege, and decided to invade Greece. He spent some time in Macedonia, and then, unexpectedly, moved to the south, at lightning speed. The Greek allies found it impossible to block the road at Thermopylae, and met the Macedonians at Chaeronea (satellite photo), along the road from Thermopylae to Thebes. It was August 338.

According to Polyaenus, the Macedonians used a stratagem:

After drawing up his formation against the Athenians at Chaeronea, Philip yielded and gave way. An Athenian general, Stratocles, shouted "We must not stop pressing them until we shut the enemy in Macedonia," and he did not give up the pursuit. Philip, saying "The Athenians do not understand how to win," retreated gradually, keeping his phalanx drawn together and protected by shields. A little later, gaining some high ground, encouraging his troops, and turning around, he attacked the Athenians vigorously and, fighting brilliantly, he conquered.
                    Last edited by Jankovska; 09-05-2008, 06:24 AM.

Comment

• Makedonia
                      Banned
                      • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Jankovska View Post
                      Macedonia was never a hellenistic state, If you like to have a conversation stop provoking and actually behave like a decent human being, if that is possible.
                      Macedonia was diiferent from all the Hellenistic states you had, Macedonia fought wars with Sparta and Athens and Macedonia ruled them. History proves that. Even the so called Greeks hated the Macedonian and saw them as something lower, barbarians.
                      Battle of Chaeronea 338 BC, Philip King of Macedon fought the Athenians and took the biggest victory.
                      Jankovska, I have quoted part of your post as the rest was copy/paste and therefore not your own thoughts.

You paint a very simple picture here and I will keep it as such.

How was it that Makedonia was any different from any other Hellenic state at the time?

The bickering and warring amonst these states was very common and were classed as domestic disputes.

The warring stopped between these states during the Olympics, remember.

This is what the history books tell us.

Comment

• Daniel
                        • Sep 2008

How was it that Makedonia was any different from any other Hellenic state at the time?

The bickering and warring amonst these states was very common and were classed as domestic disputes.
                        There was bickering amongst them, yes, but when one took land from another, they did not enslave their population, or raise their city to the ground (Thebes). The characteristics that the Macedonian's had whilst the rulers of the city-states was not that of a friend, but of an old foe.

Comment

• Daskalot
                          • Sep 2008

One simple and VERY CRUCIAL point is that the land of Makedon was ruled by a Monarch which was not the case in the city states.

The democrats in the city states saw it as a barbarous way of ruling the masses.

Very important indeed.
                          Macedonian Truth Organisation

Comment

• Jankovska
                            • Sep 2008

Jankovska, I have quoted part of your post as the rest was copy/paste and therefore not your own thoughts.

You paint a very simple picture here and I will keep it as such.

The warring stopped between these states during the Olympics, remember.

This is what the history books tell us.
                            Why don't you provide me with prove that it was the same, Hellenic for that matter. I thought the Hellenic people saw them as different, to me that is prove enough, uneducated barbarians.
                            Now why don't you prove that Macedonia was Hellenic state and if you do than explain to me what happened at 338BC and why?

Comment

• Pelister
                              • Sep 2008

I wouldn't waste my time with this degenerate Jankovska.

What happened in 338 BC?

Comment

Working...
                              X