The Khalsa - Welcome to the Macedonian Truth!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Soldier of Macedon
    • Sep 2008

The Khalsa - Welcome to the Macedonian Truth!

Ladies and gentlemen, allow me to introduce our newest member at the MTO, who goes by the username, THE KHALSA. This individual and I have been close friends for a number of years, and I guess the discussions we have had about Macedonia, India, Sanskrit languages, Indo-Aryans, etc were enough for him to consider joining our forum and getting to know some more about the Macedonians, and helping us understand some more about the history and culture of India. We have had many interesting conversations, and have often been amazed at some of the words that we share as Macedonians and Indians, one of those words being 'Ogan' (Ognovi, Ognoi - plural) in Macedonian, and 'Agni' in Punjabi, Hindi, etc.

The MTO is becoming international, and how wonderful it is to see all of these different nations, from Macedonian, to Greek, Turk, Slovene, Indian, etc all coming together and engaging in discussions under the Macedonian umbrella, an MTO umbrella no less!

I will allow him to fill you in about what his username means, and about his own history as a proud Sikh from the Punjab region of India. The Sikhs of Punjab are in my view, the lions of India, and the Punjabi language and culture are known throughout India and the world. Plus, these guys are quite often much (much!) bigger in frame and stature than the other Indians, lol.

Brother, welcome mate, good to have you here.
    In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.
  • makedonche
    • Oct 2008

The Khalsa
    Indeed a very warm welcome to the MTO, I look forward to your posts and sharing of information!
    On Delchev's sarcophagus you can read the following inscription: "We swear the future generations to bury these sacred bones in the capital of Independent Macedonia. August 1923 Illinden"

Comment

• Mikail
      • Sep 2008

Thanks for that introduction SoM!

Welcome The Khalsa.

I look forward to reading about the similarities our two cultures appear to share.
      From the village of P’pezhani, Tashko Popov, Dimitar Popov-Skenderov and Todor Trpenov were beaten and sentenced to 12 years prison. Pavle Mevchev and Atanas Popov from Vrbeni and Boreshnica joined them in early 1927, they were soon after transferred to Kozhani and executed. As they were leaving Lerin they were heard to shout "With our death, Macedonia will not be lost. Our blood will run, but other Macedonians will rise from it"

Comment

• blackcactus
        • Sep 2008

Welcome Khalsa

A Sikh friend/colleague of mine many years ago introduced me to a Sikh temple here in Perth, I met with many of his friends and family, I must say it was a real pleasure to meet them, and found the whole experience fascinating

From then on, I have always had a special interest in the Sikh

Once again welcome

BC
        The one who tells the story rules the World - Hopi proverb

“Your highness, when I said that you are like a stream of bat's piss, I only meant that you shine out like a shaft of gold when all around is dark” - Monty Python

Comment

• Struja
          • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Soldier of Macedon View Post
          The Sikhs of Punjab are in my view, the lions of India, .
          Yes indeed, going by their rich history the Sikh of Punjab are great warriors.

Pazyrik horseman in 300BC

And Raja Lal Singh, taking on the British forces in 1846 AD.

Welcome aboard Mr KHALSA. Looking forward in reading you’re post.

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
            • Sep 2008

The Battle of Saragarhi, one of history's most famous last stands, was fought during the Tirah Campaign on 12 September 1897 between twenty-one Sikhs of the 4th Battalion (then 36th Sikhs) of the Sikh Regiment of British India, defending an army post, and 10,000 Afghan and Orakzai tribesmen. The battle occurred in the North-West Frontier Province, now a part of Pakistan, which then formed part of British India.

The contingent of the twenty-one Sikhs from the 36th Sikhs was led by Havildar Ishar Singh. They all chose to fight to the death. Sikh military personnel and Sikh civilians commemorate the battle every year on 12 September, as Saragarhi Day..........
            British parliament

When the gallantry of Saragarhi was recounted to the Parliament of the United Kingdom, the recitation drew a standing ovation from the members. The saga of Saragarhi was also brought to the notice of Queen Victoria.

"The British, as well as the Indians, are proud of the 36th Sikh Regiments. It is no exaggeration to record that the armies which possess the valiant Sikhs cannot face defeat in war" - Parliament of the United Kingdom
            "You are never disappointed when you are with the Sikhs. Those 21 soldiers all fought to the death. That bravery should be within all of us. Those soldiers were lauded in Britain and their pride went throughout the Indian Army. Inside every Sikh should be this pride and courage. The important thing is that you must not get too big-headed it is important to be humble in victory and to pay respect to the other side." - Field Marshal William Joseph Slim, 1st Viscount Slim
            This is an epic battle, hopeless yet hopeful at once, this an epic battle, and engraved in legend, similar to the battle at Krushevo during the Ilinden Uprising in Macedonia.
            In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• Makedonetz
              • Apr 2010

Welcome to the forum!
              Makedoncite se borat
              za svoite pravdini!

"The one who works for joining of Macedonia to Bulgaria,Greece or Serbia can consider himself as a good Bulgarian, Greek or Serb, but not a good Macedonian"
              - Goce Delchev

Comment

• THE KHALSA
                • May 2010

Sho Praish All!

Thanks SoM and all my other Macedonian Brachkos for a warm-2 welcome. It feels great to be a part of this informational and cultural association and hopefully i can contribute to this prestigious forum by sharing some useful information, through my posts. I got into the Macedonian culture when i met SoM for the first time , as he elaborated me on the life of "Alexander the Great". As i started digging deep into the achchievements of this great warrior, i found some atnoshing facts which amazed me to a extent that i had to read a couple of books to elucidate myself; e.g. major battles against the likes of Darius, Voyage to India and many-2 more.

Macedonians in my view, are an old and proud nation like my people are, and they need no introduction, Macedonians are Macedonians!

I have now attached some useful paragraphs to elucidate everyone on the meaning and origin of the KHALSA. Hopefully, this will answer all the FAQ. If not, please give me a opportunity to provide some further information.

Thanks once again for giving me a great reception and for having me on MTO.
                Regards:
                The KHALSA

History:
                The Khalsa (Meaning: Pure) is an organization of especially devout Sikhs created by the Tenth Guru, Gobind Singh, as a means to help unite the Sikhs and encourage devotion to Sikh ideals. The group is quasi-military in nature and its members are regarded as something akin to a Sikh army.

Gobind Singh invited Sikhs from all over India to attend a special festival at Anandpur Sahib, but not informing them of what his real intentions were. While there, he asked for volunteers to step forward and die for their faith. Eventually, a few stepped forward - they were taken into a tent and, by all appearances, beheaded by Gobind Singh. This horrified those in attendance and some even left in disgust, but after the fifth Gobind emerged with the volunteers, still alive, but dressed as soldiers

Gobind Singh announced that he had been testing the Sikhs and becuase those five were willing to die for their faith, they would constitute the leadership of the Sikh community. He called them his Panj Piare ("Five Beloved Ones") and they were the first initiates into the Khalsa.

Today when someone is initiated into the Khalsa, men are encouraged to adopt the surname Singh (Lion) and women are encouraged to adopt the surname Kaur (Princess). This change in name represents the fact that they are essentially born into a new life, abandoning their old caste, and are part of new family.

Initiation involves taking a vessel of fresh water mixed with sugar and transforming it into nectar by reciting hymns of the Gurus over it and stirring it with a double-edged sword. This becomes known as amrit nectar and the process is sometimes referred to as a baptism in analogy to the Christian rite.

Beliefs:
                Members of the Khalsa follow a strict code of conduct based upon the beliefs common to Sikhs generally. In essence, they don't have separate beliefs, but are expected to follow the Sikh beliefs more strictly. They do not: smoke, drink alochol, or use mind-altering drugs. They are supposed to meditate and prayer every morning and every evening. They are also expected to take up arms and fight in the defense of oppressed people - even if they aren't Sikhs. Because of this combination of ideals of militancy and moral perfection, members of the Khalsa are sometimes referred to as Sant Sipahi, which means "Saint Soldiers".

The beliefs of the Khalsa are represented by the "Five Ks":

kesh: uncut hair;
                kanga: a wooden comb;
                kaccha: short baggy undergarment;
                kara: a steel bracelet;
                kirpan: a short sword

Maintenance of uncut hair symbolizes a person's acceptance of the natural form which God has given humanity. The wooden comb represents not just the duty to keep oneself clean and tidy (especially with long hair), but also the principle of disciplined living generally. Baggy undergarments represent the requirement of sexual chastity. The steel bracelet, used to protect the wrist in battle, also represents God's power and protection. Finally, the sword symbolizes the need for the Khalsa to always be ready to defend the oppressed (although the sword itself is not to be used in acts of violence).

The turban, which many people think of as being characteristic of Sikhs generally, is not required either for Sikhs or for the Khalsa. However, it is traditional for members of the Khalsa to wear a turban - it both covers their uncut hair and it causes them to stand out in crowds.

It should be noted that someone wearing the symbols of the Khalsa, including the bracelet and the turban, is not necessarily a members. Many Sikhs who have not gone through the Khalsa initiation ceremony also wear these as symbols of their faith.
                Last edited by THE KHALSA; 05-04-2010, 06:12 AM.
                The Khalsa is the reflection of my form, the Khalsa is my body and soul, the Khalsa is my very life.......Our enemies are vanquished by the steadfastness of Khalsa, unlike countless others, we are adorned by the Khalsa.

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                  • Sep 2008

Welcome again Khalsa, glad to see you on board bro, feel free to join in any of the discussions that may interest you.

Comment

• Risto the Great
                    • Sep 2008

Welcome TK.
                    Loved reading the history of the Khalsa.
                    Risto the Great
                    MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
                    "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• Mikail
                      • Sep 2008

That's very interesting Khalsa. Thank you for that explanation. You have given me an understanding and now, an appreciation of your customs and beliefs.

I look forward to hearing what you have learned about Alexander the great. It is important we to see how he is seen from a Sikh's perspective, as Alexanders empire stretched out to your lands.

We learn history in the western world from a British perspective. The Brits rely heavily on Roman sources to gain that perspective. These are biased accounts when it comes to Macedonian history.
                      From the village of P’pezhani, Tashko Popov, Dimitar Popov-Skenderov and Todor Trpenov were beaten and sentenced to 12 years prison. Pavle Mevchev and Atanas Popov from Vrbeni and Boreshnica joined them in early 1927, they were soon after transferred to Kozhani and executed. As they were leaving Lerin they were heard to shout "With our death, Macedonia will not be lost. Our blood will run, but other Macedonians will rise from it"

Comment

• Bill77
                        • Oct 2009

Welcome Khalsa. Its good to have a neutral on board.

What a great first post. I am definetly looking forward to all your future contributions.
                        http://www.macedoniantruth.org/forum/showthread.php?p=120873#post120873

Comment

• Prolet
                          • Sep 2009

Welcome Aboard The Khalsa

Spolaj Ti for your contribution
                          МАКЕДОНЕЦ си кога кавал ќе ти ја распара душата,зурла ќе ти го раскине срцето,кога секое влакно од кожата ќе ти се наежи кога ќе видиш шеснаесеткрако сонце,кога до коска ќе те заболи кога ќе слушнеш ПЈРМ,кога немаш ни за леб,а полн си во душата затоа што ја сакаш МАКЕДОНИЈА. МАКЕДОНИЈА во срце те носиме.

Comment

• Jankovska
                            • Sep 2008

Welcome, hope you enjoy your stay here

Comment

Working...
                            X