X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Soldier of Macedon
    • Sep 2008

Year of the Macedonian Language

The year 2008 was declared the ‘Year of the Macedonian language’ by the government in Skopje, a proclamation that has been echoed by the far-flung Macedonian diaspora in different ways. That said, it seemed quite appropriate to devote a short review to ‘the big red book,’ as it’s become known to foreign students of the language- Christina Kramer’s authoritative guide to this little-studied language.

This updated edition of the first comprehensive textbook for those wishing to learn Macedonian is a lucid, easy-to-use paperback book, dotted with photos of traditional life, frescoes and churches, and other enticing representative bits. The back of the book has a dual glossary of useful words and an answer key to some of the exercises presented in the book’s 16 chapters.

One of the challenges in writing any language textbook for beginners is to not get bogged down in inscrutable linguistic explanations which may mystify the layman. The author succeeds in this, though perhaps presupposes too little linguistic awareness on the part of the reader (as with the definition of the common noun, p. 14, which one would hope most people have already understood, having come this far in life). As grammatical structures become more complex throughout the book, of course, some of this background and explanation is good to have, though cumulatively it does add perhaps unnecessarily to the book’s formidable weight.

The first section of the textbook provides a lucid explanation of the Macedonian Cyrillic alphabet, helping students to sound out the letters, and write them in upper-case and cursive forms. Since the Cyrillic alphabet is the official one and widely used in Macedonia this is certainly important. Following this, subject pronouns and present-tense verbs are tackled, allowing the student to formulate simple sentences.

This little-at-a-time approach is of course utilized by many writers of language textbooks, structured with an eye to conversational practice and practical usage rather than a more linguistic design wherein the full forms of the various linguistic categories are laid out in order.

The only problem with this choice of structure is that if one has already some knowledge of the language, but with holes here and there, it becomes necessary to flip backwards and forwards in the book rather than soldier on from page 1 to the end. Thus while the book is geared towards beginners and intermediate students, it is most recommended for the former, for whom the layout is ideal and can be followed sequentially.

After orthography, pronouns and present-tense verbs, the book goes on to chart the perilous waters of nouns, in all their trans-gendered splendor. Affirmative and negative questions follow, and the chapter rounds out, as do the following ones, with a good list of relevant vocabulary words.

The textbook progresses thereafter to discuss steadily more complex grammatical forms in the following chapters, with each chapter focusing on a specific theme (for example, ‘food,’ ‘health,’ ‘geography of Macedonia’), which in turn beget their own relevant vocabulary words. The order of presentation is odd in some cases (it seems the months of the year could have been covered earlier than chapter 9, for example), though this is the nature of sequential structure.

All in all, Macedonian: A Course for Beginning and Intermediate Students is a highly useful guide to the easiest of the Slavic languages. Learning Macedonian provides a good access point for learning Bulgarian, Serbian/Croatian/Bosnian, Slovenian and Russian. The book is a must for anyone wishing to approach the language comprehensively. Mastering the content contained within will provide a more than adequate knowledge for everyday communications and basic life in Macedonia.

-------------------------------

Interesting to note is the view of the writer, who considers the Macedonian language as a good access point for learning other Slavic languages.
    In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.
  • Risto the Great
    • Sep 2008

It is a good book.
    And if we have had a year to celebrate our language, then it has been a failure because it is the first time I heard of it.
    Risto the Great
    MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
    "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• Rogi
      • Sep 2008

2008 might have been the year of the Macedonian Language, but it was also the year that the Macedonian media took the bastardisation of the Macedonian language (with Englishisms) to a whole new level.

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
        • Sep 2008

I agree with both of your sentiments. And I know that many don't agree with the standardised language due to the strong and emotional links with their own native dialects. I am also one who feels and acts the same, for example, as a rule I only say 'Sho praish' or 'Sho praite', I couldn't imagine saying 'Shto pravish' or 'Shto pravite' unless it was required for a certain occasion. It must be understood however, that much of the standardised language contains our words in thier formal status, there is nothing wrong with that. Even in the English language here in Australia the same habits can be found, for example, "you've got to be kidding me", would most often sound like "you've gotta be kiddin me".

Perhaps we should perform a little experiment here and see what other Macedonians think should be suggested for inclusion (or exclusion) in respect to the Macedonian language. Below is an article from the Macedonian paper 'Vreme', regarding events in the greater Balkan region, where a death occured in Belgrade after an altercation had taken place. What can be highlighted as not enough familiar to the ears of the Macedonians from outside of the republic? How would you say it? Even the Macedonians from within the republic that have an input, what would be preferred? Should words like 'sho', 'praish' and 'prasham' be the standard rather than 'shto', 'pravish' and 'prashuvam'?

Двајца мртви во масовна тепачка за девојка

Две лица починаа, а трето добило сериозни повредени и се наоѓа во животна опасност, при масовна тепачка што се случи во вторникот во раните утрински часови во еден ресторан во Белград, пренесуваат српските медиуми. Тепачката почнала околу четири часот во ресторанот „Жолта греда“ во белградската населба Врачар и траела околу половина час, се до доаѓањето на припадниците на полицијата и на екипите на Брза помош. Еден од учесниците во тепачката починал на самото место на инцидентот, додека вториот им подлегнал на добиените повреди во Ургентниот центар во Белград. Според претставник на белградскиот Ургентен центар, третата жртва има сериозни повреди на црниот дроб и лекарите се борат за неговиот живот. Во врска со целиот случај, српската полиција приведе неколку лица, кои се товарат за учество во тепачката. Според очевидци, групата млади луѓе кои во ресторанот дошле со нивните девојки биле провоцирани од друга група млади кои ги познавале нивните девојки. Еден од сведоците на инцидентот изјавил за полицијата дека повод за тепачката било дофрлување на една од девојките која била во друштво на напаѓачите. Двете групи почнале да се тепаат надвор од ресторанот, а освен тупаници во пресметката се користени и ножеви. Според српските медиуми, по инцидентот се уапсени осум лица, а истрагата за инцидентот се уште трае.

---------------------------

Dvaytsa mrtvi vo masovna tepachka za devoyka

Dve litsa pochinaa, a treto dobilo seriozni povredeni i se naogya vo zhivotna opasnost, pri masovna tepachka shto se sluchi vo vtornikot vo ranite utrinski chasovi vo eden restoran vo Belgrad, prenesuvaat srpskite mediumi. Tepachkata pochnala okolu chetiri chasot vo restoranot „Zholta greda“ vo belgradskata naselba Vrachar i traela okolu polovina chas, se do doagyanyeto na pripadnitsite na politsiyata i na ekipite na Brza pomosh. Eden od uchesnitsite vo tepachkata pochinal na samoto mesto na intsidentot, dodeka vtoriot im podlegnal na dobienite povredi vo Urgentniot tsentar vo Belgrad. Spored pretstavnik na belgradskiot Urgenten tsentar, tretata zhrtva ima seriozni povredi na tsrniot drob i lekarite se borat za negoviot zhivot. Vo vrska so tseliot sluchay, srpskata politsiya privede nekolku litsa, koi se tovarat za uchestvo vo tepachkata. Spored ochevidtsi, grupata mladi lugye koi vo restoranot doshle so nivnite devoyki bile provotsirani od druga grupa mladi koi gi poznavale nivnite devoyki. Eden od svedotsite na intsidentot izyavil za politsiyata deka povod za tepachkata bilo dofrluvanye na edna od devoykite koya bila vo drushtvo na napagyachite. Dvete grupi pochnale da se tepaat nadvor od restoranot, a osven tupanitsi vo presmetkata se koristeni i nozhevi. Spored srpskite mediumi, po intsidentot se uapseni osum litsa, a istragata za intsidentot se ushte trae.

-----------------------------------

I am encouraging the Macedonians from outside of the Republic of Macedonia in particular to participate in this experiment, it would assist in clarifying what exactly it is that can bridge our historical dialects closer together.
        In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• Risto the Great
          • Sep 2008

SoM, I look forward to working through your exercise.
          But as Rogi put it, the curse of the Angloisms is my largest concern.
          I think I even looked up "vikend" once.
          Risto the Great
          MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
          "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

Working...
          X