• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dave_petro
    • Jan 2020

Medieval Macedonia

Hi guys,

Not sure if it is the same for everyone else, but the Medieval era in Macedonian history seems a litle blurry to me. I was wondering if anyone has any insight as to where I could get some information that would shed some light on this topic?

I'm looking for information on Macedonia anywhere between 500ad to around 1500ad - that 1000 years is a little messy for me and I welcome any enterprise that will expand my knowledge in this area.

In particular, anything on Tsar Samuil (in depth) would be much apprecited as well. For example, sources, texts, journals, websites, etc.

Thanks guys!
    'Nothing is impossible to him who will try"
  • Liberator of Makedonija
    • Apr 2014

Would recommend scouring the forum for specific threads, such as the one on Car Samoil. Otherwise, Macedonia was under the Byzantines for almost the entirety of this period.

What specifically do you find 'blurry'?
    I know of two tragic histories in the world- that of Ireland, and that of Macedonia. Both of them have been deprived and tormented.

Comment

• dave_petro
      • Jan 2020

Ok, I’ll suss the forum out a bit more.

So, things like records, people, dates, times, etc. I feel as though it has not been covered as extensively as say Macedonia in Roman times or Macedonia in Ottoman times. I know that sounds vague but there are important dates and events in Roman times and Ottoman times that mark the Macedonian people, for example the Macedonian Wars against the Romans or the Karposh Uprising against the Ottomans. But in the Medieval era I feel as though we are absent...Not sure if this is making sense.

Are you able to forward me the link within the forum re Medieval Macedonia? If not, it's cool, I'll hunt around for it.

Thanks for replying.

Comment

• Apr 2014

Just search 'Tsar Samoil', I think there's a thread on him. You can also find a thread dedicated to Bogomilism.

As for other important events and figures during that area, I suggest you look into the following:

- The Byzantine Macedonian dynasty and the Macedonian Renaissance
        - Sts. Kiril & Metodij
        - St. Kilment of Ohrid and the Ohrid Literary School
        - The Bogomil movement in Macedonia
        - Car Samoil and the expansion of his independent kingdom
        - The uprisings and rebellions of Samoil's descendants
        - Prince Marko and the Kingdom of Prilep
        I know of two tragic histories in the world- that of Ireland, and that of Macedonia. Both of them have been deprived and tormented.

Comment

• Amphipolis
          Banned
          • Aug 2014

The most prolific threads:

Tsar Samoil
          Samuel tsar of Macedonia died Oct. 6, 1014, Prilep, Macedonia tsar of Western Bulgaria, or Macedonia, from 980; his realm was successor to the First Bulgarian empire. Ruling originally in Macedonia, Samuel then conquered independent Serbia and further extended his power into northern Bulgaria, Albania, and northern

Самоил седна на тронот на Плоштад Македонија На скопс&#10

The Slavs
          The first attestations of the word in the sense of “Slavic” can also be found in Greek, in the 6th century of ourera. According to Vasmer himself, for example, the attestation of sclavos in Agathias (6th century) already has the meaning of “slave” (Aebischer 1936, 485). How do scholars explain the

What is your opinion in this matter? I guess everyone has his own thoughts. Most here-as far as i know- deny that a Slavic migration ever happened. Some believe there was no movement at all, some that there were only minor scale invasions and the ancient Macedonians were actually Slavic speaking! The Academy of science of

I made a list of "Slavic" tribes that existed in the Balkans in the period from the 6th until 9th century AD. Some existed afterwards, some before, some also had namesakes in other parts of Europe. I am not sure if the list is complete. Slavic tribes. For these tribes we can say with some certainty were Slavic

Can you tell me what is your opinion for this article, and if you find anything wrong or unusual about it? http://www.hi-story.org.mk/4.htm by Stojko Stojkov, MA NATIONALISM AND THE MIDDLE AGES: The Myth of Creation of Slavic-Bulgarian Nation in 9th-10th Century The theme of this article is part of the broader

Cyril and Methodious
          After stumbling upon the Proto-Bulgarian script I noticed how similar some letters are to the Glagolitic alphabet: So I did a comparison (I also compared it to Hebrew): The only two letters I'm definitely sure Constantine created (or his students or brother) were the "I" and "S". These two when used

Macedonians in the East Roman Empire
          I will start with a post from another thread, to provide a background for this topic and the below events. http://www.macedoniantruth.org/forum/showthread.php?t=524 Prior to the events of Thomas the Slav, a battle took place between the empires of East Rome and Bulgaria that engaged the Macedonians in battle. The

=
          Last edited by Amphipolis; 03-13-2020, 07:26 AM.

Comment

• dave_petro
            • Jan 2020

Originally posted by Liberator of Makedonija View Post
            Just search 'Tsar Samoil', I think there's a thread on him. You can also find a thread dedicated to Bogomilism.

As for other important events and figures during that area, I suggest you look into the following:

- The Byzantine Macedonian dynasty and the Macedonian Renaissance
            - Sts. Kiril & Metodij
            - St. Kilment of Ohrid and the Ohrid Literary School
            - The Bogomil movement in Macedonia
            - Car Samoil and the expansion of his independent kingdom
            - The uprisings and rebellions of Samoil's descendants
            - Prince Marko and the Kingdom of Prilep

This great, thanks!

A couple questions though...

"- The Byzantine Macedonian dynasty and the Macedonian Renaissance"

I heard this had nothing to do with Macedonians as a people. The region of Macedonia had been entirely shifted during the East Roman Empire's reign and the reason that that dynasty donned the name "Macedonian Dynasty" was because its founder had been born in that region of Macedonia - not the geographical region of Macedonia as we know it today.

"- Prince Marko and the Kingdom of Prilep"

Forgive my ignorance, but wasn't this dude Serb? ie: 'The ruler of Serbs and Greeks'. If there is any information that suggests otherwise, I have not been exposed to it.

But this is dynamite, I genuinely am excited!

Comment

• dave_petro
              • Jan 2020

Originally posted by Amphipolis View Post
              The most prolific threads:

Tsar Samoil
              Samuel tsar of Macedonia died Oct. 6, 1014, Prilep, Macedonia tsar of Western Bulgaria, or Macedonia, from 980; his realm was successor to the First Bulgarian empire. Ruling originally in Macedonia, Samuel then conquered independent Serbia and further extended his power into northern Bulgaria, Albania, and northern

Самоил седна на тронот на Плоштад Македонија На скопс&#10

The Slavs
              The first attestations of the word in the sense of “Slavic” can also be found in Greek, in the 6th century of ourera. According to Vasmer himself, for example, the attestation of sclavos in Agathias (6th century) already has the meaning of “slave” (Aebischer 1936, 485). How do scholars explain the

What is your opinion in this matter? I guess everyone has his own thoughts. Most here-as far as i know- deny that a Slavic migration ever happened. Some believe there was no movement at all, some that there were only minor scale invasions and the ancient Macedonians were actually Slavic speaking! The Academy of science of

I made a list of "Slavic" tribes that existed in the Balkans in the period from the 6th until 9th century AD. Some existed afterwards, some before, some also had namesakes in other parts of Europe. I am not sure if the list is complete. Slavic tribes. For these tribes we can say with some certainty were Slavic

Can you tell me what is your opinion for this article, and if you find anything wrong or unusual about it? http://www.hi-story.org.mk/4.htm by Stojko Stojkov, MA NATIONALISM AND THE MIDDLE AGES: The Myth of Creation of Slavic-Bulgarian Nation in 9th-10th Century The theme of this article is part of the broader

Cyril and Methodious
              After stumbling upon the Proto-Bulgarian script I noticed how similar some letters are to the Glagolitic alphabet: So I did a comparison (I also compared it to Hebrew): The only two letters I'm definitely sure Constantine created (or his students or brother) were the "I" and "S". These two when used

Macedonians in the East Roman Empire
              I will start with a post from another thread, to provide a background for this topic and the below events. http://www.macedoniantruth.org/forum/showthread.php?t=524 Prior to the events of Thomas the Slav, a battle took place between the empires of East Rome and Bulgaria that engaged the Macedonians in battle. The

=

Champion. Saves me from running around the forum.

Anything on Krali Marko?

Cheers!

Comment

• Amphipolis
                Banned
                • Aug 2014

Originally posted by dave_petro View Post
                Champion. Saves me from running around the forum.

Anything on Krali Marko?

Cheers!
                Marko of Prilep, King of the Christians
                Marko of Prilep, King of the Christians The two brothers Volkasin and Uglesa ruled jointly in western and eastern Macedonia respectively. Volkasin, the father of Marko, had risen up amongst the ranks of the Serbian imperial aristocracy, and eventually secured for himself the leading governing position in the region of

Prince Marko and the Thracian horseman
                This is from the Serbian Wikipedia (http://sr.wikipedia.org/sr-el/%D0%A2%D1%80%D0%B0%D1%87%D0%BA%D0%B8_%D0%BA%D0%BE%D1%9A%D0%B0%D0%BD%D0%B8%D0%BA): Mitoloki sloj legende o Kraljeviću Marku kao tračkom konjaniku Legenda o Marku poseduje u početku sve prepoznatljive odlike savremene viteke epike. Markov

Comment

• dave_petro
                  • Jan 2020

Originally posted by Amphipolis View Post
                  Marko of Prilep, King of the Christians
                  Marko of Prilep, King of the Christians The two brothers Volkasin and Uglesa ruled jointly in western and eastern Macedonia respectively. Volkasin, the father of Marko, had risen up amongst the ranks of the Serbian imperial aristocracy, and eventually secured for himself the leading governing position in the region of

Prince Marko and the Thracian horseman
                  http://www.macedoniantruth.org/forum...ead.php?t=1259

Excellent, thank you everyone for this!

Comment

• Apr 2014

This great, thanks!

A couple questions though...

"- The Byzantine Macedonian dynasty and the Macedonian Renaissance"

I heard this had nothing to do with Macedonians as a people. The region of Macedonia had been entirely shifted during the East Roman Empire's reign and the reason that that dynasty donned the name "Macedonian Dynasty" was because its founder had been born in that region of Macedonia - not the geographical region of Macedonia as we know it today.
                    You won't find much on the Macedonian people from this era as the only people that mattered to history were the aristocrats; the kings, lords and other rulers. The dynasty was established by Basil I, who was from the region of Adrianople, but the dynasty still carried the name 'Macedonian' - there is a theory Basil himself was of some mixed Macedonian/Armenian heritage.

"- Prince Marko and the Kingdom of Prilep"

Forgive my ignorance, but wasn't this dude Serb? ie: 'The ruler of Serbs and Greeks'. If there is any information that suggests otherwise, I have not been exposed to it.
                    Marko isn't my strongest area, I believe he did belong to one of the families that ruled the former Serbian Empire. I've never heard the moniker 'Ruler of Serbs and Greeks', where did you read this? I'd say Marko appears in Macedonian folklore more often than Samoil, just going off 19th century recorded literature that has been provided in this forum.

Comment

• dave_petro
                      • Jan 2020

Originally posted by Liberator of Makedonija View Post
                      You won't find much on the Macedonian people from this era as the only people that mattered to history were the aristocrats; the kings, lords and other rulers. The dynasty was established by Basil I, who was from the region of Adrianople, but the dynasty still carried the name 'Macedonian' - there is a theory Basil himself was of some mixed Macedonian/Armenian heritage.

Mmm I’ve heard this theory as well.

Marko isn't my strongest area, I believe he did belong to one of the families that ruled the former Serbian Empire. I've never heard the moniker 'Ruler of Serbs and Greeks', where did you read this? I'd say Marko appears in Macedonian folklore more often than Samoil, just going off 19th century recorded literature that has been provided in this forum.
                      My bad, that title was given to Stefan Dusan. Came across it here: The Late Medieval Balkans: A Critical Survey from the Late Twelfth Century to the Ottoman Conquest. Ann Arbor, Michigan: University of Michigan Press.

Got my wires crossed there.

Comment

Working...
                      X