X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vicsinad
    • May 2011

Originally posted by vicsinad View Post
    From January and May of those same years (not included in the list below, but in the attached documents, are passengers listed as Bulgarian whose last place of residence was Macedonia):

MAY 1912:

Macedonian Passengers – Forward Berths Name Last Place of Residence/Destination Petre Keteff, 30 Ghiavat, Macedonia to New York City Vassil Nolo, 18 Grerbo, Macedonia to Portland, Oregon Costi Stefo, 33 Ehla, Macedonia to Columbus, Ohio Pavle Stefoff, 31 Pawa, Macedonia to Columbus, Ohio Gheorghi Sunovroff, 19 Ghiavat, Macedonia to Columbus, Ohio Jlia Tasseff, 31 Supeui, Macedonia to Columbus, Ohio

JANUARY 1912:

Macedonian Passengers Name Last Place of Residence/ Destination Riste Cotso, 40 Bouf, Macedonia to Detroit, Michigan Vassil Cotso, 13 Fota Trayan, 44 Bouf, Macedonia to St. Louis, Missouri

Macedonian Passengers - Forward Berths Name Last Place of Residence/ Destination Loukin Pachko, 24 Janiloa, Macedonia to Galesburg, Illinois

Macedonian Passengers - Forward Berths Name Last Place of Residence/ Destination Christos Doukas, 40 Salonique, Macedonia to Haverhill, Massachusetts Stergios Doukas, 11 Nicola Kostoff, 29 Cartscovani, Macedonia to Syracuse, New YorK

Comment

• vicsinad
      • May 2011

The following is a list of people, with the last names starting with M, arriving at Quebec Ports on passenger ships, who listed their country of birth as Macedonia between July 31 1903 and October 13 1910, and I also included those who listed their country of birth as Turkey but had Macedonian sounding names.

Dean Metse, from Macedonia, age 30, arrived on July 14, 1907 on the Dominion.

Atannes Meritrossian, age 40, from Turkey, arrived on May 15, 1909 on the Sardinian.

George Metseff, age 38, from Turkey, arrived on Jul 17, 1910 on the Mount Temple.

There are also those who listed Bulgaria as their country of origin who may be Macedonian: Michael Metroff, Nicola Mencoff, Detcho Menhoff, Nedsetscho Menoff, Drages Mentchoff, Christo Mentscheff, among others.

http://members.shaw.ca/nfhs_fodh/z182.pdf
      The following links contain list of people between 1903 and 1910 that came to Quebec ports and you can search by nationality:

There are scores of Macedonians here. Most of them can be found by searching "Macedonia." But also search Turkey and Bulgaria and you will find a lot of Macedonians.
      Last edited by vicsinad; 10-06-2014, 07:34 PM.

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
        • Sep 2008

Vic, that is some good information. You've done a great job rejuvenating this thread, which already had some very handy material regarding the history of Macedonian immigrants around the world.
        In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• vicsinad
          • May 2011

Thanks SoM. It's a very important thread for both showing how long our ancestors had their Macedonian identity and for documenting the history of our people.

The following is classified as "prose" in the Atlantic Monthly: A Magazine of Literature, Science, Art and Politics for Volume CXIX (January -- June 1917). I don't know how true, if at all, is the following story " THE SHOULDERS OF ATLAS by Corrinne and Radoslav Tsanoff. However, it surely must have been based off of their experiences with Macedonian immigrant life. Now, there are spots where they refer to us as Macedonians, Bulgars, Bulgaro-Macedonians. But I think we could find it useful as literature of the Macedonians in early North America. I only pulled out parts that mention Macedonia, but the story starts on page 85 and is a good read.

'They'll rise a rumpus this trip, Mister
          Jim,' Steve remarked. Steve Johnson,
          baptized Stefan Ivanoff in Macedonian
          Krivolak, drew fifteen dollars a
          week for being able to hear in English
          and talk in Bulgarian.
          Steve shook his head and started up
          the path to the cook-tent, where the
          gang of Bulgar-Macedonian laborers
          were lolling about, waiting for supper.
          'Well, and so we left Macedonia,' a
          dark, bushy-browed young fellow was
          holding forth to the rest, expertly spitting
          through his teeth as he spoke; 'we
          did leave the cursed old bleeding motherland,
          to come and drink American milk and honey, get rich and buy us
          patent-leather shoes and a derby hat
          out of the second envelope, eh, Zasho?'
          I
          spit upon the nine dollars, Zasho! So
          long as you are on the job, they keep
          tab on you every minute, for fear you
          won't earn five times your wages; and
          when you die they stick you into the
          ground without priest or pall, so you
          won't smell up the place. And another
          soft believer that's crossed the ocean
          to become God's cousin takes your
          pick and shovel, and it 's amen to you.
          I'd rather eat good garlic in Macedonia
          than rotten ham in Colorado.'
          The men hushed; a few crossed
          themselves piously as the rusty figure
          of Uncle Dimo drew near. His face was
          wrinkled with sorrow, but he held his
          shoulders erect. Uncle Dimo was a
          stubborn Macedonian Bulgar; he had
          never doffed his pepper-gray homespun
          breeches and rawhide sandals for the
          overalls and tan shoes of the new world.
          'You've left Macedonia too early,
          lad. She has n't taught you enough.
          It 's so with most of you young fellows
          these days. But my Dobry, he knew
          the workman's glory!'
          The young man was silent.
          'Perhaps I'd better tell you how it
          happened once in Macedonia,' Dimo
          decided. 'Then you will understand
          about my Dobry. And then I can ask
          you something you must find out from
          Mister Jim.'

Comment

• vicsinad
            • May 2011

A brief history of a Toronto Restaurant:
            In 1928, prior to the Great Depression, Toronto was recognized as one of the foremost cultural centers in the world.
            The restored ELGIN/WINTERGARDEN and CANON theatres are two of the remaining vaudeville houses from that era
            and with MASSEY HALL they represent the original downtown Theatre District. Robert Angeioff, a Macedonian
            entrepreneur, who had built many restaurants in Toronto, converted the house, naming it the BUSY BEE DINER. The
            "B" as it was familiarly known, consisted of an open kitchen and counter, typical of the Diners of that era and earned
            a reputation for hearty, traditional meals, served to the "regulars". In 1930, Luke and Vangel Eftimoff purchased the
            "Busy Bee" from Angeloff, which they in turn sold to George Nicolau, a cook with a vision.

Comment

• vicsinad
              • May 2011

From the Buffalo Courier Express in 1958:

Group to Observe
              Orthodox Christmas

The Macedonian - American
              Society. PRESPA, will observe
              the Orthodox Christmas with a
              dance at Croatian Church Hall,
              108 Ridge Rd., at 7:30 tomorrow
              evening. A Macedonian dance
              croup will perform and Santa
              will distribute presents to the
              children.
              John Andreef is chairman of
              the affair and Mrs. Michael
              Eftimoff, co-chairman.

Comment

• vicsinad
                • May 2011

As a personal note, in addition to my great-grandfather on my maternal side, who is listed in the document at the beginning of this thread, I recently discovered that my great-great-grandfather on my father's side lived and worked in the coal mines of Zeigler, Illinois. I knew he came to the US, but I just found some more documents on exactly where he lived and worked. He came to the US in 1913 and stayed for 25 years. He listed Macedonia as his country of origin. His brother's son, who came to visit him in 1925, listed himself as a Serb, as it was now a period of Serb occupation of Macedonia.

It's interesting to note that my great-great-grandfather and all of his descendants said/say they are Macedonian, while the descendants of his brother say they are Serbian. I think the fact that he had come to America right before Macedonia's division and before Serbian propaganda exploded with Serbian occupation in 1913 was a significant factor in how my lineage clung to a Macedonian identity while his brother and family developed a Serbian identity.

Comment

• vicsinad
                  • May 2011

From a 1914 publication on Macedonian immigrants working in the Colorado Coal mines:
                  "Conditions in the Coal Mines of Colorado" Volume 3.

Comment

• vicsinad
                    • May 2011

Pg. 192 of "Executive Documents of the State of Minnesota" from 1914. Noting 40 Macedonians working at a railroad camp.

Comment

• vicsinad
                      • May 2011

From 1911: Auto industry in Detroit hired Macedonians, Greeks, Turks and Slavs to bust up union strikes:

Comment

• vicsinad
                        • May 2011

From Annual Report ... - Volume 29 - Page 75
                        Woman's Home Missionary Society (Cincinnati, Ohio) - 1910

Comment

• Philosopher
                          • Sep 2008

From Annual Report ... - Volume 29 - Page 75
                          Woman's Home Missionary Society (Cincinnati, Ohio) - 1910

What a friend we have in Jesus, all our sins and griefs to bear...

Nice collections of findings Vic.

Comment

• vicsinad
                            • May 2011

Originally posted by Philosopher View Post
                            What a friend we have in Jesus, all our sins and griefs to bear...

Nice collections of findings Vic.
                            Thanks, there's much more out there...I'll get around to putting as many up as I can.

Comment

• vicsinad
                              • May 2011

Evan Taneff, from Resen, Macedonia:

Comment

• vicsinad
                                • May 2011

Panele Eltimoft, from Podmochani (same village as my great-grandfather in post 1):

Comment

Working...
                                X