Macedonian Truth Forum   

Go Back   Macedonian Truth Forum > Macedonian Truth Forum > General Discussions

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2016, 07:57 PM   #11
King Niko
Junior Member
 
King Niko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Tampa
Posts: 81
King Niko is on a distinguished road
Default

Look in my opinion, Alexander the Great was Thracian and Macedonian in no way does he resemble Greeks of now or in that time period. Furthermore, Macedonia from one point in my life I heavily believed Macedon was Greek, and as of now, it is not Greek at all. In fact, I do not even see how Greeks can claim any other ethnicity let alone with a simple sweep of history, you can broadly see that they recognized anyone as Greek who were "Christians". Sooooo final point, it is a lot of contradictions, Alexander the Great is not Greek nor was Macedon.
King Niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 09:38 AM   #12
Philosopher
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,003
Philosopher is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amphipolis View Post
Greece denies YOUR view that you are a nation, called the Macedonian nation, related to Ancient Macedonia of Alexander the Great. This goes both before and after 1988. Nothing changed in our views in 1988.
Nationality is a bit of a complex issue, as nationality is a social construct. Self-determination allows for a nation to call itself whatever the collective nation desires; but I get your point.

Nationalities are largely based on lineage, a common descent of peoples.

There is no pure Greek or Macedonian nation or any nation on this earth. The Balkans are very mixed, and I have no doubt that the descendants of the ancient Greeks, Macedonians, Illyrians, and Thracians can be found throughout the world, most concentrated in the Balkans.

There is the issue of language and culture to consider. The error of the Greek government, and most supporters of the Greek position, is that they superimpose a "Hellenic" identity or nationality on the ancient Macedonians because a small fragment of the Macedonian royal house claimed Argive descent.

This is a fatal error.
Philosopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 06:25 PM   #13
Poligiros
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 121
Poligiros is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philosopher View Post
Nationality is a bit of a complex issue, as nationality is a social construct. Self-determination allows for a nation to call itself whatever the collective nation desires; but I get your point.

Nationalities are largely based on lineage, a common descent of peoples.

There is no pure Greek or Macedonian nation or any nation on this earth. The Balkans are very mixed, and I have no doubt that the descendants of the ancient Greeks, Macedonians, Illyrians, and Thracians can be found throughout the world, most concentrated in the Balkans.

There is the issue of language and culture to consider. The error of the Greek government, and most supporters of the Greek position, is that they superimpose a "Hellenic" identity or nationality on the ancient Macedonians because a small fragment of the Macedonian royal house claimed Argive descent.

This is a fatal error.
Agree with most of what you are saying. However, you have to realise its not the Hellenic government that superimposed a "Hellenic identity" on the ancient Macedonians. 99% of western classics departments at ivy league institutions are responsible for implementing that assumption, based on history, archaeology, historical narratives and inscriptions.

As for self-determination, there are nationalistic agendas behind that assumption, so its not so clear cut.
Poligiros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 01:08 AM   #14
Amphipolis
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 1,152
Amphipolis is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Niko View Post
Look in my opinion, Alexander the Great was Thracian and Macedonian in no way does he resemble Greeks of now or in that time period.
When you say Thracian, do you mean... Epirote by any chance? Also, what's with the resemblance?
Amphipolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 06:58 AM   #15
Soldier of Macedon
Administrator
 
Soldier of Macedon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Macedonian Outpost
Posts: 12,997
Soldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amphipolis
Toska’s descriptions are not better. They’re partly incomprehensible and later (probably) refer to what a Greek guy told him in an Australian bar.
It wasn't just some guy in a bar you condescending knucklehead, Toska's description applies to the overwhelming majority of Greeks in this country. All of us who have grown up here saw and heard it, despite what your supposed kinsmen from here say today.
Quote:
Greeks don’t call themselves Greek Macedonians, unless they live in Macedonia. In that case they call themselves Macedonians.
As a regional description. Nothing more. And even that is a relatively recent (and stupid) phenomenon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poligiros
99% of western classics departments at ivy league institutions are responsible for implementing that assumption, based on history, archaeology, historical narratives and inscriptions.
Who are the 1%?
Quote:
.....the Hellenic republic are claiming that Alexander is Greek in terms of being "King of Greece", unifying the Greek city/states and spreading Hellenistic culture to the east.
He was the king of Macedonia. What you refer to as "Greece" and "unifying" were a bunch of city-states that were defeated by the Macedonians and forced into a league which was controlled by Macedonia. As for spreading Hellenic culture, again, a by-product of the Macedonian campaign. Why are you here Poligiros? We are not going to change our perception of our own history, and we are not going to accept your perception about our own history. Everything you're saying has been said before by your fellow morons who were previously here. That being the case, what purpose do you serve here?
__________________
In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a full blooded Macedonian.
Soldier of Macedon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
1988, alexander the great, iron maiden


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump