X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Liberator of Makedonija
    • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Chicho Makedonski View Post
    Shapkarev’s use of the term ‘Bulgarian’ in his textbooks was to promote slavic language/culture opposed to Greek. Shapkarev and other Macedonians of this time period supported actual Bulgarian schools and churches to open in Macedonia, in order to grow their relationship with the Bulgarians (a fellow slavic speaking people) who also opposed the Greek idea to make Macedonia a Greek land with a Greek speaking majority opposed to a slavic speaking majority. The difference being, the Bulgarians were building these churches and schools to spread Bulgarian propaganda to the Macedonians in order to make the Macedonians pro Bulgarians to believe they are ethnic Bulgarians so a greater Bulgaria will be more easily accomplished. While the Macedonians never wanted a greater Bulgaria, nor a free Macedonia with a main Bulgarian component but simply a free Macedonia with a main Macedonian component whereby the Macedonian language would become the offical language of the country once freed. So in reality the Bulgarians weren’t ‘allies’ but in fact a massive obstacle to Macedonian freedom.
    I think this is a bit of an oversimplification. Concepts such as nationhood and independence weren't the focus during this period in time, they developed later.

Originally posted by Chicho Makedonski View Post
    As for when you say the ‘Bulgarian label was attached to this movement and it’s desired church and language’, what exact ‘movement’ are you referring to ?
    The 'Anti-Phanariot' Movement is the term I usually use but I have seen Macedonian authors label it the „црква борба“ or 'church struggle' as well.
    I know of two tragic histories in the world- that of Ireland, and that of Macedonia. Both of them have been deprived and tormented.

Comment

Working...
    X