X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sarafot
    • Dec 2008

Originally posted by El Bre View Post
    Thanks for the answer. I was actually referring to whether or not Grujo is a first name where the name Grujov is derived, like Ristov or Donev
    If it is a name, i dont know ,we should see orthodox calendar for that,but probebly it is some kind of nick name,like my one is Sarafot,it is family nick name,but i have diferent surname,some people have surname becouse of thears nickname,for example in time when they start to writte surnames,many was written in form of they nick name,like Pavel atev - Gemiđijata,could be written somewhere like Pavel Gemiđijev,but Bulgarian one are steel diferent one,there is no Macedonian name like Stania (Staniev) or Hristo Botev.....mostly we have surnames based on old names,dont you think so?
    Ние македонците не сме ни срби, ни бугари, туку просто Македонци. Ние ги симпатизираме и едните и другите, кој ќе не ослободи, нему ќе му речеме благодарам, но србите и бугарите нека не забораваат дека Македонија е само за Македонците.
    - Борис Сарафов, 2 септември 1902

Comment

• Sarafot
      • Dec 2008

Borza saied Philip united Greeks,with killing tehm and destroieing their homes and towns to the ground.(E.Borza-Macedonia redux)
      Ние македонците не сме ни срби, ни бугари, туку просто Македонци. Ние ги симпатизираме и едните и другите, кој ќе не ослободи, нему ќе му речеме благодарам, но србите и бугарите нека не забораваат дека Македонија е само за Македонците.

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
        • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Sarafot
        there is no Macedonian name like Stania (Staniev) or Hristo Botev.....mostly we have surnames based on old names,dont you think so?
        I have a friend with the surname Stanisevski, not sure if it is the equivalent of Stanishev, what do you think?

Originally posted by El Bre
        Anyone know where the gruev in gruevski comes from?
        I remember reading that the word Grue or Gruo means a 'rock' of some sort in Macedonian. I will have to re-check on that one, although I know in my family we say Grutka for a type of 'mud rock'.
        In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• Sarafot
          • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Soldier of Macedon View Post
          I have a friend with the surname Stanisevski, not sure if it is the equivalent of Stanishev, what do you think?

I remember reading that the word Grue or Gruo means a 'rock' of some sort in Macedonian. I will have to re-check on that one, although I know in my family we say Grutka for a type of 'mud rock'.
          No, probebly no! Stania,Slavia,Ljubia....pure Serbian,my opinion,surname is Macedonised Serb or Shop origin, probebly.

Comment

• Sarafot
            • Dec 2008

For GRUTKA,i dont know english word,it is grutka like part of earth,part of something,cheese or ice,part of something hard,taff....do you understand me?

Comment

• osiris
              • Sep 2008

grudka is a lump of soil.

Comment

• Sarafot
                • Dec 2008

Originally posted by osiris View Post
                grudka is a lump of soil.
                You are wright

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                  • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Sarafot View Post
                  No, probebly no! Staniša,Slaviša,Ljubiša....pure Serbian,my opinion,surname is Macedonised Serb or Shop origin, probebly.
                  Not sure, but this friend is from Bitolsko, not the north. Interesting to note is that the Bulgarian PM Sergei Stanishev has a father with origins from Shutka, hence Macedonian. Further to that point, his mother is Russian, therefore, the current Bulgarian PM is not even a 'Bulgarian' by origin.

Regarding the name Gruev, I checked some dictionaries and the earlier mentioned word has the following explanations, GRUTKA; rough lump, clod, GRUTKA SNEG; snowball, GRUTCHEST; clodded, lumpy. There is also another word, GRUVA; to beat, to strike.

So there is:

GRUEV; surname
                  GRUVA; strike
                  GRUTKA; rough lump

Looking at them, I would probably have to lean more towards GRUVA at the moment. Or, it may be a loanword from a neighbouring linguistic group, or, it may just be dialectal around the Lerin area as I have known a few people from the past with this noun as the root of their surname, and all of them have been from that area. What do the rest of you think?
                  In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• Sarafot
                    • Dec 2008

Interesting to note is that the Bulgarian PM Sergei Stanishev has a father with origins from Shutka, hence Macedonian. Further to that point, his mother is Russian, therefore, the current Bulgarian PM is not even a 'Bulgarian' by origin.

You are confirming me,utka is near the border,so probebly his grand father was something like Serb....Not to long ago in all Volgarians had a surname of their grand father,so defenitly his father name vas STANIA,in Macedonian it would be rather STANKO and in Bulgarian STANOILO,but that is not mather for judgeing nationality,my name is ZORAN,many peoples say that is Serb name,but my opinion is diferent,probebly it is Slavohunic or Slavoturkic name,same like STOJAN GORAN MILAN,and then we go ADNAN, HASAN,names were partly turkised,you know lika ZORA and KHAN(ZORKAHN)....in Macedonian the mistake should be corected,becouse names in original might be STOJEN(dostojen) GOREN(??) MILEN (mil-drag)....OPNION?

Comment

• Risto the Great
                      • Sep 2008

Interesting point Sarafot, the "AN" ending may well be a Turkish remnant. ???
                      I knew a Bulgarina called "Stancho", so it looks like there are a few options here.
                      Risto the Great
                      MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
                      "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• Sarafot
                        • Dec 2008

Looking at them, I would probably have to lean more towards GRUVA at the moment. Or, it may be a loanword from a neighbouring linguistic group, or, it may just be dialectal around the Lerin area as I have known a few people from the past with this noun as the root of their surname, and all of them have been from that area. What do the rest of you think?[/QUOTE]

Hard to find conection,i ask my baba,she saied that is an old name ,which is not used any more,you know like GRUJO,GJORE...perhaps nick,or we should ask our tera nova if there is conection with greek language like most of our names?

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                          • Sep 2008

Just because his surname is Stanishev does not mean his ancestor was a Serb, it could be have been attained in a number of ways, culture influence, close contact living together, etc.
                          my name is ZORAN,many peoples say that is Serb name,but my opinion is diferent,probebly it is Slavohunic or Slavoturkic name,same like STOJAN GORAN MILAN,and then we go ADNAN, HASAN,names were partly turkised,you know lika ZORA and KHAN(ZORKAHN)....in Macedonian the mistake should be corected,becouse names in original might be STOJEN(dostojen) GOREN(??) MILEN (mil-drag)....OPNION?
                          I can see your view regarding MILEN rather than MILAN, etc, but the people from the Gora region in Skopje for example are called GORANI, not GORENI, the 'a' comes from the root word.

Zora(n), Zora = Dawn
                          Gora(n), Gora = Mountain
                          Stoja(n), Stoj(a) = Stay, Pose
                          Mila(n), Mila = Dear

These are all feminine root words in the Macedonian language that have not only turned into female (not sure about Gora) names, but interestingly into male names also. They surely are not Turkic.

Comment

• Sarafot
                            • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Soldier of Macedon View Post
                            Just because his surname is Stanishev does not mean his ancestor was a Serb, it could be have been attained in a number of ways, culture influence, close contact living together, etc.

I can see your view regarding MILEN rather than MILAN, etc, but the people from the Gora region in Skopje for example are called GORANI, not GORENI, the 'a' comes from the root word.

Zora(n), Zora = Dawn
                            Gora(n), Gora = Mountain
                            Stoja(n), Stoj(a) = Stay, Pose
                            Mila(n), Mila = Dear

These are all feminine root words in the Macedonian language that have not only turned into female (not sure about Gora) names, but interestingly into male names also. They surely are not Turkic.
                            You did not convince me.Opose of Goran is Gordana,it is not Gordan,how abou AN,HAN,you know like hotel,and why not ZOR-KHAN,you know like Zor,necesery(zor -na sila),Serbs dont use Zora niether do Macedonians,Croats use it,Macedonians are using SABAJLE or UTRO,Serbs also use NAJUTRO IZJUTRA SJUTRA...i dont opse your teory,i agree with it,but it is not for shure,in calendars there is no such name like ZORAN GORAN STOJAN MILAN,they commed after original but which i dont know,i know my granfather name was STAMEN,but when he past away in hos birth document it was writen ARISTAMEN,pure old macedonian name. Opinion?

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                              • Sep 2008

Another factor is that names such as BratAN have been found in Macedonia since the 13th-14th centuries at least, before the Turks.

Comment

• Sarafot
                                • Dec 2008

May be,where should we insert this....?
                                YouTube - Македонска Молитва

Comment

Working...
                                X