• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mikail
    • Sep 2008

Get up earlier, Germans tell Greeks

Get up earlier, Germans tell Greeks

guardian.co.uk, Friday 5 March 2010 16.24 GMT

After yesterday's call by two German politicians that Greece sell off islands, historic buildings and artworks before receiving aid, the German tabloid Bild has written an open letter to the Greek prime minister George Papandreou:

Dear prime minister,

If you're reading this, you've entered a country different from yours. You're in Germany.

Here, people work until they are 67 and there is no 14th-month salary for civil servants. Here, nobody needs to pay a €1,000 bribe to get a hospital bed in time.

Our petrol stations have cash registers, taxi drivers give receipts and farmers don't swindle EU subsidies with millions of non-existent olive trees.

Germany also has high debts but we can settle them. That's because we get up early and work all day.

We want to be friends with the Greeks. That's why since joining the euro, Germany has given your country €50bn

First Greece was told to sell islands to pay off its debts, now the German tabloid Bild has reminded George Papandreou of the two countries' differences
    From the village of P’pezhani, Tashko Popov, Dimitar Popov-Skenderov and Todor Trpenov were beaten and sentenced to 12 years prison. Pavle Mevchev and Atanas Popov from Vrbeni and Boreshnica joined them in early 1927, they were soon after transferred to Kozhani and executed. As they were leaving Lerin they were heard to shout "With our death, Macedonia will not be lost. Our blood will run, but other Macedonians will rise from it"
  • Risto the Great
    • Sep 2008

Working hard will fix this mess, Greece.
    Hardly working is never going to help.
    Risto the Great
    MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
    "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• BigMak
      Banned
      • Jan 2009

This sums up greeks in a nutshell

Even diaspora greeks dont work hard,

You will never see a greek working on the tools they would prefer a clean fresh perfumed appearance

maybe a Cab driver or a checkout Chick/greek, or maybe a fish and chips style greek but more importantly a compo-cliaming greek

Its embedded in Modern Grik culture deception and greed its what makes a modern day grik a greek

Comment

• Spartan
        • Sep 2008

Thats a horrible assesment, and extremely stereotypical.
        I have read many things on this forum, but I must say this post really bothers me.
        You will never see Greeks working with tools??? Are you kidding me????
        And dont kid yourself, restauraunting is HARD work my friend.
        The Diaspora greeks are very hard working in general.
        Of course there are lazy ones too, but that would be the situation for any ethnicity.
        Dont know about Oz, but here in Canada and the States, the southern European immigrants are reknown for their work ethic.
        Im up at 6 30 am every morning.....
        Last edited by Spartan; 03-06-2010, 09:01 PM.

Comment

• Phoenix
          • Dec 2008

I think that there's a significant difference between the work ethics of those living in the Balkans and those in the diaspora...

Greece has been living beyond her means for many decades...the time has come to pay up. Perhaps greece will buy some more time but that will only delay the inevitable...the eventual collapse of the modern greek state.

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
            • Sep 2008

Most diaspora Greeks came to western countries during a time when work ethic was considered a value, clearly, work ethic is no longer a value in the place from where they originally came.

I found the German tabloid sober and accurate in its assessment, although I would suggest that Germans look prior to the days of the EU, from about the 19th century onwards, to see how much more they have given the people in the country which they basically created together with England, France and Russia.
            In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
              • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Phoenix View Post
              I think that there's a significant difference between the work ethics of those living in the Balkans and those in the diaspora...

Greece has been living beyond her means for many decades...the time has come to pay up. Perhaps greece will buy some more time but that will only delay the inevitable...the eventual collapse of the modern greek state.
              Once upon a time this seemed unlikely, but time has definetly caught up with them, and the many shams that hold that state together are starting to unfold before the eyes of the world, exposing the cheats, racists and liars among the population of Greece, who seem to be anywhere and everywhere.

The facade is over, and the beginning of the end has commenced - What end, remains to be seen.
              In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• Phoenix
                • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Soldier of Macedon View Post
                Once upon a time this seemed unlikely, but time has definetly caught up with them, and the many shams that hold that state together are starting to unfold before the eyes of the world, exposing the cheats, racists and liars among the population of Greece, who seem to be anywhere and everywhere.

The facade is over, and the beginning of the end has commenced - What end, remains to be seen.
                The historical driver of social reform has been the health of the economy, not booming economies but rather declining and collapsing economies.

Once greece hits rock bottom and the lustre of the polished turd is gone, a time of true reflection will begin...at this point most states undergo full scale civil war...

Comment

• Risto the Great
                  • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Spartan View Post
                  I have read many things on this forum, but I must say this post really bothers me.
                  Of course there are lazy ones too, but that would be the situation for any ethnicity.
                  Dont know about Oz, but here in Canada and the States, the southern European immigrants are reknown for their work ethic.
                  Agreed. I have always thought the offspring of the desperate people that migrated to faraway lands from the Balkans had a kind of genetic predisposition to work hard. By definition, the ones who left their homeland were already risking everything (or nothing I suppose). Either way, they tried their luck in another country which requires a certain kind of mental attitude. Most worked very hard in their new adopted countries. I see very little difference between any of the Balkan countries in this regard. Greeks included.
                  Risto the Great
                  MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
                  "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• makedonche
                    • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Spartan View Post
                    Fair comments Spartan, I tend to agree!
                    On Delchev's sarcophagus you can read the following inscription: "We swear the future generations to bury these sacred bones in the capital of Independent Macedonia. August 1923 Illinden"

Comment

• Spartan
                      • Sep 2008

I am glad you guys agree.
                      Risto, i believe you summed it up very well.

Comment

• osiris
                        • Sep 2008

greeks are as hard working as anyone abroad, but balkan people in general dont work as hard as the germans and greeks do exploit the subsidy system ask anyone who has a farm in greece.

i think also the fact that greece lied about its figures to join the eu is something that cannot be overlooked, by the nations in the eu who tend to fund the rest like germany.

i think 50 billion marks or pounds is not bad contribution to the greek nation by the germans.

Comment

• Mikail
                          • Sep 2008

You are right about that Osiris.

Time for Europe and Germany in particular, seeings that Greece is making so many claims against Germany, to delve into Greek archives of the past 20 years. Europe must establish an inquiry as to how Greece has put the whole European economy in this position.

Just how much of EU funds was used as payoffs as part of the rampt up propaganda campaign Greece has had against the Macedonian people and the Republic of Macedonia.

There are many witnesses to call and even more who would be willing to blame someone else for the dire financial position Greece faces.
                          From the village of P’pezhani, Tashko Popov, Dimitar Popov-Skenderov and Todor Trpenov were beaten and sentenced to 12 years prison. Pavle Mevchev and Atanas Popov from Vrbeni and Boreshnica joined them in early 1927, they were soon after transferred to Kozhani and executed. As they were leaving Lerin they were heard to shout "With our death, Macedonia will not be lost. Our blood will run, but other Macedonians will rise from it"

Comment

• Big Bad Sven
                            • Jan 2009

Originally posted by BigMak View Post
                            This sums up greeks in a nutshell

Even diaspora greeks dont work hard,

You will never see a greek working on the tools they would prefer a clean fresh perfumed appearance

maybe a Cab driver or a checkout Chick/greek, or maybe a fish and chips style greek but more importantly a compo-cliaming greek

Its embedded in Modern Grik culture deception and greed its what makes a modern day grik a greek
                            hahaha very true, i worked with a few grik people and they are perhaps some of the most lazy and useless people i have ever worked. They never liked to get their hands dirty or hated taking orders - hence why they have always worked as taxi drivers, fish and chips shops, coffee shops etc. All jobs where all you have to do is sit on your big fat hairy grik ass and talk crap all day.

When my father came to Australia it was the same story with the griks - all of the "yugoslavian" people along with the other eastern european people were all of the hard workers, doing all of the hard manual and labor work. Unfortunately most of the "yugoslav" people are just as lazy as the griks today, with exceptions of the slovens.

Comment

• BigMak
                              Banned
                              • Jan 2009

very diplomatic from our resident greek,

Although there is truth behind the lines, I have run commercial and residential construction project in Australia and have hired many people from all ethnic groups, and I will stick to my words. And remember this is my opinion

Present day greeks have no cultural, historic or artistic flair. and in adding its unquestionable modern day greek genealogy is not a continuation of the ancient past, but to be more precise its no more than a cheap emulation.

its like comparing a Louis Vuitton with a cheap Chinese rip off

When culturally you have been placed on a pedestal in turn this creates long term grandeur this is ingrained in most present day greeks, therefore this comes across not only in home life but also as work ethic.
                              Last edited by BigMak; 03-11-2010, 07:54 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X