Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The LION will ROAR
    • Jan 2009

The Arvanites of Central Greece, the Slavs and the modern Greeks!
    The Macedonians originates it, the Bulgarians imitate it and the Greeks exploit it!

Comment

• The LION will ROAR
      • Jan 2009

THE ARVANITES - 45% of 'Greece' was populated by Albanians
      The Macedonians originates it, the Bulgarians imitate it and the Greeks exploit it!

Comment

• The LION will ROAR
        • Jan 2009

The Arvanites considered themselves to be Skipetars(Albanians) in 1814!
        Please do notice that Arvanites considered themselves to be Albanians which is in their own native language; Skipetar/Shqipetar. To claim Arvanites as anything else than Orthodox Albanians is an outright lie because they used the same native name for themselves as any other Albanian and that is Skipetar/Shqipetar.

Comment

• Onur
          • Apr 2010

The word "Arvanites" comes from same root with the Turkish expression "Arnavut, Arnauts" which basically means Albanians, nothing else. So they shouldn't even need to consider themselves as Albanians cuz they are already Albanians

Comment

• The LION will ROAR
            • Jan 2009

The hostile attitude of the Modern Greek State towards Arvanitika

Greece is not the only country having a* negative attitude towards minority languages. All nation-states at the point of their formation, spread hostility, negativity and moral denigration in regard to the use of languages that were not proclaimed as national or official. This in Greece, followed a French model of national integration, was much more intense than in other states which were federalized. (1) As we have established in the past however, the role of the Greek government in the eradication and extermination of Arvanitika is not to be discounted.

Anastasios Koulouriotis the Arvanite "quasi-scholar" of 19th century tried to transmit the Arvanite language to a written form with its own alphabet. His father was John Koulouriotis who fought and died in 1827 at the siege of the Acropolis. On April 24, 1827, two days after the death of the chieftain Karaiskaki near Acropolis in Athens, most Kuluriote (Salaminian) fighters were killed in a battle with Kiutahi.

At an early age, Anastasios Koulouriotis emigrated to North America. After several years he returned to Athens where he opened his own printing shop. In May 29, 1879 he published a newspaper called "The Voice of Albania" which stopped being issued a year later, on August 23, 1880. At the small printing shop he also printed other books containing mainly political content. Among his publications an alphabet of the Albanian language is distinctive, it was published in Athens in 1882* and titled "Arberor Alphabet ...of the Spoken Albanian Dialect in Greece".*

Later Anastasios Koulouriotis went to Salamina with the thought that there he would find a place to operate, but a different surprise awaited him. (2) The mayor there talked to him in angry manner and hard tone and said,

"..we, try to make these people forget the language and you, are bringing us books too?!"

Tasos Neroutsos correspondence with the albanologist Gustav Meyer

Tasos Neroutsos, an Arvanite from his mother's side was from Athens. He studied German literature and medicine and moved to Egypt where he worked as a doctor. His first reaction was to write to Meyer about the dramatic decline of the Arvanitika language due to the Hellenization process taking place in the kingdom of Greece. This was in 1888. He gives two reasons for the Hellenization. The first is the political pressure that exists, since Arvanitika is not taught, citing "Albanian schools are not allowed."* The second reason is that with the policy of non-teaching there, and with the establishment of girl schools, which according to Neroutsos' opinion, was especially done in albanophone areas. In his opinion, the state wants to eradicate Arvanitika from Greece considering the use of such language associated with lower social classes, rural and marine, while the use of the the Greek language shows one who has adopted the Greek national ideology. He also gives some demographic data. In 1833 he estimates 260,000 Albanophones in Greece, and in 1879 he counts only 58,000.

As time went by, his correspondence and his attitudes toward language changed and he began to tell some interesting details, like the one about the Royal Family installed in Tatoi (3) which had relations to the Arvanite local villagers, that also learned Arvanitika.

From the year 1880

In January 12, 1889, in a letter to Meyer, he* recommends him to go on a journey and provides him with many details of the areas where he would meet Arvanites in Greece. The first information he gives him is to go to Kifissia where there were very good hotels and where he would find himself in the midst of an Arvanite population.

In the published records of the Ministry of Education from the 19th century on Andros, one finds specific references to the northern part where the particular responsibility of the Ministry of Education is to establish schools in Arvanite villages in order to reduce the use of the (Arvanite) language.* A manual of language for the 4th and 5th elementary grades during the interwar period, from the year 1925, has as a basic objective for the need to eliminate Arvanitika. Finally, there is a hypothetical village (representing all Arvanite villages), "Kakoriziko" (having bad karma), in which a teacher goes and finds everyone talking Arvanitika. When they cease to speak Arvanitika, the village becomes "Kaloriziko" (having a good karma)..

1. K.E.M.O., Linguistic Diversity in Greece, p. 316.

2. Saltaris, Nick J., Mitro Truki (Arvanite poet of the 19th century), "Gerou" Publications-Arvanite Library No. 3, Athens 1987, pp. 96-98.

3. Despite being renamed to Dekeleia, the Arvanite toponym Tatoj is widely used.

Comment

• The LION will ROAR
              • Jan 2009

The Arvanites and the Arvanitika Language

Comment

• The LION will ROAR
                • Jan 2009

Anti-Arvanitika campaigns

Educational policies played a chief role in the assimilation and the suppression of the practice of Arvanitika from native speakers. Official authorities also played a role through "subliminal hindrance" for the eradication of a language spoken for at least seven centuries. Below we are publishing some excerpts where direct and indirect pressures and "guidance" from authorities lead not only to the termination of Arvanitika language but also to the impediment of Arvanitika scholarship.*

"People told me that they were scared of reprisals on the part of authorities but also ashamed of still speaking "this bastardized language" I was once even reported to the police by the son of one of my informants but was set free after a few hours when the superior officers confirmed by telephone from Athens that my activities were entirely harmless and tolerated by official institutions." (This has occurred way too often with various foreign and local scholars, researchers and anthropologists.)

"A male informant from a village in Andros born in 1899 reported in an interview that his father had placed a big knife on a board above the entrance door, threatening his children that he would cut their tongue if he caught them speaking Arvanitika again.

Another speaker from a Corinthian village, likewise born around 1900, recalled having been beaten repeatedly for speaking Arvanitika with his sisters in the courtyard. Similar anecdotal evidence emerges from tape recorded biographies of very old speakers from Attica, taped in the late 1960's and early 1970's. Those who were not prevented from speaking Arvanitika by their parents were severely punished and ridiculed in school.

A conversation recorded in 1969 between a (not extremely well educated) monolingual Greek from Athens and an Arvanite peasant:

Monolingual Greek: "Shame on you for still speaking Arvanitika"

Peasant: "But we are Arvanites, aren't we? All of our ancestors have been Arvanites and have been speaking Arvanitika

Monolingual Greek: "But you live in Greece here, don't you? If you want to speak Arvanitika go to Tirana. In this country people speak Greek." *

Peasant: "But I'm Greek like you!"

Monolingual Greek: Then stop speaking that ugly jargon."

In 1969 there were definitely no Arvanites from Tirana. Twenty years later however,* the story changes as Arvanites could not relate economically and politically to the incoming Albanian refugees. The only cultural and linguistic commonalities that existed were invalidated by strong and convincing media images that depicted these refugees as barbarous and criminal. However, we are not talking about Arvanites as refugees, we are referring to Arvanites Greek citizens.

Regardless of their chronology, these examples can certainly be applied to other minority language speakers, but Arvanitika is a key example since it represents a significant portion of the modern Greek population.

To date there are no Arvanitika schools operating in Greece (October 2010).

Source: H.J.Sasse - Small languages and small language communities in Int'l J.Soc.Lang 1998.

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                  • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Risto the Great View Post
                  Kato Idroussa, and Ano Idroussa are Dolno & Gorno Kotori by the way.
                  Apparently 'Kotora' means 'battle' in Old Macedonian/Church Slavonic.

Originally posted by Epirot
                  The most credible of all promoted theories down to our days is Illyrian one. It has linguistical, geographical, historical, anthropological, ethnographical and genetical evidences.
                  There is no direct link to an Illyrian or another Paleo-Balkan heritage. You've shown nothing credible on any of the other threads Epirot, the only thing I would be prepared to accept at the moment are a few lexical correspondences.
                  Originally posted by "True Macedonian
                  The Folllowing is from 1901 from Madam Tsilka's unpublished memoirs about the story of her being kidnapped with Miss Stone by Macedonians;

Very soon a man emerged from a pile of branches and came near us. He looked nervous and confused and hesitated in his speech. "Please," I said, "Tell us, are you Christian bandits of Turks?"
                  "Oh," he said "We are a mixture of faiths and nationalities. Among us are Bulgarians and Albanians, Serbs and Macedonians. We even have a Jew with us. But we are no bandits. You shall know very soon why you were captured."

The man who spoke was Jane Sandanski. There's been newspaper articles of Boris Sarafov meeting with Albanian Revolutionaries in Albania when they began fighting the Turks in their own ground. But we must not forget that these Albanians were most likely christian as opposed to the muslims who did fight the Macedonians.
                  TM, do you have any more on this?
                  In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• Јован Кукузел
                    • Nov 2010

Potekloto na Majka Tereza.
                    Podolu spodeluvam eden tekst na albanski jazik objaven vo nekolku albanski vesnici od Aurel Plasari, direktor na Nacionalnata Bibloteka na Albanija, koj go podrzuva mislenjeto deka Majka Tereza, majka mu ja imashe katolicka albanka dodeka tatko mu vlav od familijata Bojaxhi.

Origjina e nene Terezes
                    Me poshte do te sjell nje artikull te Aurel Plasarit, drejtor i Bibliotekes Kombetare, i cili mbeshtet mendimin se Nene Tereza kishte te emen katolike shqiptare, kurse te atin shqiptar-vllah nga familja vllahe e Bojaxhinjve.
                    Me pas do sjell kundershtimet dhe reagimet e skandalizuara te disa gazetareve shqiptare.

Bojaxhitë e nënë Terezës

nga dr. Aurel PLASARI

“Travestí elitash” e quante para do kohe në shtyp një kolegu ynë fushatën kinse-nacionaliste për mbrojen me çdo kusht të “shqiptarësisë” së të misionares së madhe të krishterë Nënë Tereza. Përfytyroni tani se ç’mund të ndodhë kur ta dojë rasti që në këtë spektakël e sipër të kesh për duarsh një punim ende të papërfunduar për familjet e mëdha voskopojare dhe “voskopjarët e mëdhenj”: Kavaliotët, Sinat, Shagunat, Dumbat, Gondut, Bellot, Qopekat, Ballaurët/Vallaurët, Fundot etj.; ndër to edhe familja Bojaxhi.
                    Bojaxhitë qenë dhe janë një familje në zë aromane (angl. Aromanians), e përhapur në disa vise të Ballkanit, si dhe përtej tij, në degë të ndryshme. Përfaqësuesi më në zë i Bojaxhive mbahet historikisht Mihail G. Bojaxhi (Boiagi), me të cilin llogaritet të fillojë historia moderne e aromanëve. Së toku me tjetrin filolog aroman Gjorgje Kosta Roza, me të cilin vepruan në dy dhjetëvjeçarët e parë të shek. XIX, ai u bë bashkëthemelues i teorisë së “latinitetit” të aromanëve në Ballkan. Që të dy punuan në qytetet e Perandorisë së Habsburgëve, por qenë me prejardhje voskopojare. Sa i përket vendlindjes së Mihail G. Bojaxhiut, opinionet ndahen dysh: Max Peyfuss-i mendon që ai të ishte lindur në Budë më 1780 (Die Druckerei von Moschopolis, 26), ndërsa Candroveanu e shënon Bojaxhiun të lindur në Voskopojë më 1770 (Antologie de proza aromana, 195).
                    Duke vijuar traditën e shkollës filologjike të Voskopojës, përuruar në gjysmën e dytë të shek. XVIII, Mihail G. Bojaxhiu botoi të parën gramatikë të aromanishtes (Gramatica romana sau macedo-romana, 1818) të shoqëruar edhe me përkthimet greqishte dhe rumanishte. Ai hartoi edhe një gramatikë të bullgarishtes dhe një të serbishtes, si dhe një libër mësimi të greqishtes, duke dhënë pjesën e vet të ndihmës në standardizimin e këtyre gjuhëve. Bindja e tij prej poligloti në pluralitetin gjuhësor e shtynte të nënvizonte: “Çdo gjuhë është një hipostazë e shpirtit njerëzor; sa më shumë gjuhë të nxëjë një njeri, aq më shumë gjëra ai di. Njeriu nuk mund t’i fitojë të gjitha dijet vetëm nga një gjuhë e vetme, edhe sikur ajo gjuhë të jetë më e përkryera në botë. Të këmbëngulësh mbi një gjuhë të vetme është njëherësh kotësi dhe marrëzi nga pikëpamja praktike” (Gramatica, X).
                    Degë të ndryshme të familjes Bojaxhi u përhapën jo vetëm në qytetet e mëdha habsburgjike (Vjenë, Budë, Pest etj.), por edhe në qytete të Ballkanit, kështu edhe në Shkup. Në periudhën e Perandorisë osmane Shkupi paraqitej si qytet etnikisht i përzier: bashkëjetonin aty shqiptarë, aromanë (vllehë), maqedonë dhe një bashkësi e vogël familjesh hebreje. Këtë situatë përzierjeje e pati ndeshur qysh në shek. XIII rabini udhëtar nga Spanja Benjamin i Tudelës; po këtë regjistronte në shek. XIX Ami Bué-ja; dhe po kjo situatë, me ndryshimet e kuptueshme në të mirë të bashkësive maqedone e shqiptare, rezulton aty edhe sot e gjithë ditën. Në Shkup aromanët jetonin në një lagje veçan, sikurse ishte traditë për qytetet orientale, që quhej “Lagjja e vllehëve”: “Vlaškoj mahala”. Në këtë lagje jetonte edhe familja Bojaxhi në të cilën u lind më 27 gusht 1910 Gonxhe Bojaxhiu, e ardhshmja Nënë Terezë. Në ditën e sotme lagjja në fjalë është shpërbërë në një masë të madhe: aty tek ishte shtëpia e Bojaxhive është tani një autorrugë pranë një qendre tregtare ngjitur me “Sheshin Maqedonia”. Nuk ka ndonjë dëshmi që të dëftojë se ku Gonxhe Bojaxhiu është pagëzuar, por është e besueshme që ajo të jetë pagëzuar në kishën e lagjes ku u lind: në “kishën e vllehëve”. Për mësimet fillore ka ndjekur një shkollë jokatolike: këtë e tregon edhe vetë në kujtimet e saj. Po t’i lexohen me vëmendje kujtimet dhe t’i ndiqen prononcimet, le të vihet re: ishte shqipja apo maqedonishtja ndër gjuhët që ajo njihte? Apo ishte “the aromanian”? Aromanishtja/vllahishtja nuk është ndonjë gjuhë qarkullimi të gjerë, gjuhë kulture moderne, nga ato që mësohen nëpër kolegjet e Anglisë apo universitetet e SHBA-së. Të diturit e aromanishtes/ vllahishtes nga një njeri i rritur shpjegohet vetëm nëpërmjet një fakti: dhe dihet se cili është ai fakt.
                    Në moshën dhjetëvjeçare Gonxhes i vdiq i ati, Nikollë Bojaxhiu dhe, me vdekjen e tij, është e kuptueshme të vinte duke u zbehur edhe identiteti i të parëve nga linja e gjakut. Nën përkujdesjen e s’ëmës Drane, që ishte katolike nga rrethinat e Gjakovës, Gonxhja nisi të shpihej rregullisht tanimë në kishën katolike të qytetit, të këndonte në kor, derisa rreth të dymbëdhjetave, sikurse ka treguar vetë, t’i lindte dëshira për t’u bërë “motër e shenjtë”.
                    Pinjoj të familjes së Bojaxhive të Maqedonisë ndeshen aty-këtu, nëpër regjistrat e shpëtuar rastësisht të shkollave aromane, qysh me themelimin e tyre në gjysmën e dytë të shek. XIX aty. Në shkollën aromane të Gopeshit, për shembull, themeluar më 1867, ndër regjistrimet e vitit shkollor 1889-90 del Jani Bojaxhi, ndërsa në shkollën aromane të Krushovës, themeluar më 1868, ndër regjistrimet e vitit 1889-90 dalin Ana N. Bojaxhi, Taku Bojaxhi etj. Bojaxhi të tjerë të mbetur në Maqedoni dhe të lidhur mbas kishës ortodokse (pravosllave), me dhjetra emra në kulturë, politikë, shkencë, sport (Aleksandër Bojaxhi, Jani Bojaxhi, Dhimitri Bojaxhi) etj., mbahen tanimë të “maqedonizuar”, ndryshe prej fatit të Gonxhes që u zhvendos në mjedisin shqiptar katolik të s’ëmës, në Shqipëri.
                    Pavarësisht ndonjë mëtimi joserioz të FYROM-it zyrtar, Kryetari i Unionit për Kulturën të Aromanëve në Maqedoni Dimo Dimcev e ka përshkruar me korrektësi prejardhjen e familjes së Gonxhe Bojaxhiut në një intervistë për NIN-in. Si kujton se dikur “Jerusalemi” i aromanëve pati qenë Voskopoja dhe se, me prishjen e saj, shumë familje voskopojare u hapërdanë në qytete në ndryshme të Ballkanit, si dhe të Perandorisë austro-hungare, ai përshkruan edhe kalimin e pjesëve të ndryshme të familjes Bojaxhi në Shkup, Prizren etj. Ai ka vërejtur se i ati i Gonxhes, Nikolla, ishte përfaqësues i vllehëve (vlasi) në kuvendin e qytetit të Shkupit; për këtë ekziston edhe dokumenti përkatës bërë i njohur prej Stojan Tren?evskit (“Mutter Teresa, Gondje Boiagi, ist von ihrem Vater Nikola Boiagi her wlachischer Abstammung; wir berufen uns auf das von dem Autor Stojan Trencevski entdeckte Dokument, das belegt, dass Nikola Boiagi in den Fuhrungsorganen der wlachischen Gemeinschaft in Skopje tatig gewesen war”). Nga një anë tjetër, as akademiku maqedon Tome Serafimovski nuk e ka pasur të vështirë ta pranojë këtë prejardhje: “Askush në Maqedoni nuk ka mëtuar ndonjëherë që Nënë Tereza të ketë qenë maqedone, kurse në Shkup dihet që ati i saj Nikolla Bojaxhi ka qenë jo shqiptar, por vllah” (“Niko nikada u Makedoniji nije tvrdio da je Majka Tereza bila Makedonka, ali u Skoplju se zna da joj otac Nikola Bojadzi bio ne Albanac, vec Cincar”).
                    Që të gjitha këto orvatje për të depërtuar në prejardhjen e një figure si Nënë Tereza, këto tërheqje litari me jo “është jona”, jo “nuk është juaja”, mund të jenë në thelb absurde: me këtë jam një mendjeje edhe unë. E Krishtera e Madhe e Kalkutës është një figurë tanimë e shenjtë që i përkiste/ i përket humanizmit të krishterë mbarëkombëtar, madje jokombëtar ose mbikombëtar. E para që do të neveritej prej tërheqjesh të tilla litari do të ishte ajo vetë, e cila refuzoi me ngul të merrej ndonjëherë me përkatësinë e saj etnike apo me prejardhjen e saj. Por atëherë përse këta burra shteti ose minishteti, presidentë, kryebashkiakas etj., marrin përsipër të caktojnë a të mbrojnë prejardhjen e njërit apo të tjetrit pa pasur haber as nga gjenealogjia, as nga filologjia, as nga historia? Madje, më së shumti, pa e ditur as ku bien me shtëpi këto dije? Dhe çfarë argumentesh shtien në punë në këtë spektakël kinse-nacionalist që kolegu ynë me të drejtë e quante “travestí elitash”?
                    Ja ndonjë prej argumenteve, qëmtuar nëpër mediat shqiptare prej niveleve të bulevardit deri tek ato të profesionistëve të ATSh-së, madje nga ato që u shërbehen të huajve në anglishte të Tiranës: “Her real name is Agnes Bojaxhi. “Bojaxhi” in the Albanian language means “painter”!” Ose: “Mother Teresa was Albanian - her real name was Agnes Gonxhe Bojaxhiu. In the Albanian language Gonxhe means “bud” and Bojaxhi means “painter”!” Me një fjalë: një logjikë infantile, simbas të cilës Blend Gonxhja (më doli pikërisht ky përpara për shoqërim idesh) do të qitej anglez, sepse: “His real name is Blend Gonxhe and the English Blend means “përzierje”!” As u shkon mendja këtyre farë filologëve gjenelogjistë të shpjegojnë se fjalë si bojë (në shqip ngjyrë) dhe bojaxhi janë huazime nga turqishtja dhe si të tilla kanë hyrë në më shumë se një gjuhë të Ballkanit. Sepse: si vallë i thonë bojaxhiut në aromanishte? Në aromanishte bojaxhiut i thonë bojaxhi. (Të ma falë lexuesi, por m’u desh të merrem këtu me një këso shpjegimi ordiner.)
                    Përtej spektaklit të “travestisë së elitave” kthjellimi i këtij të sjelluri ka rëndësi në kulturën shqiptare edhe për diç tjetër: sepse me emërtime si “aroman”, apo më keq “vllah”, “kucovllah”, deri edhe “çoban” është abuzuar tradicionalisht (ndonjëherë vijon të abuzohet) për të detraktuar personazhe në zë të kulturës shqiptare kur kanë qenë “të padëshirueshëm” për dikë apo për diçka. Ky abuzim ka qenë (në mos vijon të jetë) një mjet rëndomqar në luftën e ideve: atëherë kur njëra prej palëve “ndërluftuese” nuk ka kundër tjetrës kurrfarë argumenti të fushës së mendimit. Mandej? Mandej, si të jenë marrë në vitet ‘20-30 tridhjetë me qitjen e Konicës “kucovllah të konvertuar”, si ta kenë zbuluar Fan. S. Nolin “aroman” dhe “joshqiptar” (mjerisht edhe ky vetë e kishte bërë dikur të atillë Konicën), si ta kenë përgojuar Lasgushin për “vllah Pogradeci” etj., një ditë prej ditësh i shpallin ata “shqiptarë të mëdhenj”. Po si kështu, me këta shqiptaromëdhenj? Atëherë, nëse të qëllon që në këtë spektakël e sipër të kesh për duarsh punimin për familjet e mëdha voskopojare dhe “voskopjarët e mëdhenj”, nga njëri prej gjenalogjistëve bashkëkohorë nuk mund të mos nënvizosh këtë vërejtje: “Në ekogjenetikën e kohës së sotme bihet një mendjeje nga të gjithë shkencëtarët se problemi më therës për botën e gjallë është ai i erozionit të gjeneve, që në gjenetikën humane përkon me erozionin e gjeneve njerëzore. Erozioni gjenetik i njeriut në skakierën sociale kryhet edhe nga persekutimi i njeriut prej njeriut”. Vërejtje që të bën të mendosh në thellësi: “nga persekutimi i njeriut prej njeriut”, çfarë të kujton mënyrën se si u sollën për një kohë të gjatë në Shqipëri me mëmën e Gonxhe Bojaxhiut, me të motrën dhe me vetë Gonxhen tanimë Nënë Terezë.

Bota Shqiptare nr. 93, 2-16 tetor 2003
                    Botuar njëkohësisht edhe në të përditshmen shqiptare "Shekulli"

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                      • Sep 2008

Kukuzel, do you mind translating the above in english?
                      In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• Frank
                        Banned
                        • Mar 2010

There is no direct link to an Illyrian or another Paleo-Balkan heritage. You've shown nothing credible on any of the other threads Epirot
                        I would put that In emphasis we have been through this discussion before and nothing posted has really been convincing.

Again Albanians regarding themselves as such, which is a Historical fact proves nothing beyond the desire to prove a lineage to the past and the to expand territorially, Albanians time in the Sun was very recently the Kosovo exercise then before that the Formation of the Prizren League with a very notable Nazi collaborator and Support, Tetovo still remains the heart of it

Comment

• Epirot
                          • Mar 2010

Ethnic Albanians in Greece

I've the honor to present a well-documented study where the Albanians of Greece are studied thoroughly. The summary has been written by experts of Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Turkey (published in Ankara, on 1999).

You may think that this material is biased since it's written by Turkish officials, however, the details given here are treated neutrally and are supported even by western sources who confirm the same.

Nice reading!

IF OUR CHRONICLES DO NOT LIE, WE CALL OURSELVES AS EPIROTES!

Comment

• George S.
                            • Aug 2009

Epirot thanks for supplying this stuff it's important to show what the greeks are upto & still doing it.It's bad enough being forced into assimmilation but not to recognize your human rights is nothing short of atrocius.Is there anywhere apart from greece that has to be the worst case scenario of what it's doing & denying people's human rights.
                            "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
                            GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• Onur
                              • Apr 2010

Everything is long lost for the christian Albanians in Greece. Their leaders already willingly assimilated in to the modern Greek identity and the Greek authorities assimilated the rest of them. They are also getting indoctrinated by despising anything about Albania and Albanians for about a century. I am sure that if someone reminds deputy PM Pangalos that his grandparents didn't even know Greek and he was speaking Albanian only, probably he curses on him. Just like some formerly Turkish christians, e.g. Kara-zafer(is), these Albanians are the champions of hellenes now!!

But Cham Albanian issue is different. They have been banished from their ancestral lands without a reason and all of a sudden. I know that few 100 of them seek asylum in Turkey too, shortly after WW-2. I wonder if Albanian state does something about that issue? Is there any 3rd party country other than Turkey who speaks about this?

Btw, one of oldest settlement records of Ottoman empire is "Sancak-i Arnavut". It`s dated from 1420s. I read it b4 and it contains all the information about how many feudal landowners in there, how many villages, towns, population and the map of the Sanjak (province) of Albania. The map includes all the current Albania and Chameria, northwest of Greece. Found it on web;

I think rather than dealing with their ancestral lands in Greece, Albanians are looking for a wrong direction for expanding, the Macedonia. Because even in early 15th century Ottoman records, current northwestern Greece was the sanjak of Albania. While it`s obvious that these places was inhabited by Albanians for centuries `till the WW-2, they seems totally forgot it and eyed for western Macedonia instead.

As you know, current northern Greece was Macedonia, northwest was called as Albania, northeast was Thrace, central Greece was Morea. So, there was no Greece at all during whole Ottoman reign. And while Istanbul patriarchy had full authority over the Balkan christians, they never ever complained about non-existence of the name Greece in current Greece . It sounds strange isn't it?

Comment

• Epirot
                                • Mar 2010

Originally posted by Onur View Post
                                Their leaders already willingly assimilated in to the modern Greek identity and the Greek authorities assimilated the rest of them
                                Hi Onur...nice to hear from you again. In regard with your statement, I'd say that the state of things after the establishing of 'Greek' Kingdom was pretty complicated than it appears in first sight. The fact that a sizable number of them preserve their Albanian features even under the condition of a strict regime of a deliberately assimilation by the Greek authorities, indicate that they receive Hellenism only superficially. Greek politics never achieved to erase their Albanian identity. It's another thing that Greece did with a lot of success: they indoctrinated Arvanites to felt nothing for the Albanians. Since that time, Arvanites looked with a lot of disdain upon Albanians: they viewed us as 'Turko-Albanians'.

I wonder if Albanian state does something about that issue? Is there any 3rd party country other than Turkey who speaks about this?
                                Unfortunately not. The Albanian state never dare to rise its voice in protecting Cham issue. After the collapse of Communist regime in Albania and constant weakening of the state, Greece could extend in a great proportion its services and by doing so, to put under its control some important political figures. Then, Greece ruin the independence of Albanian Orthodox Church. This enable her to greacize a lot of Orthodox Albanians and Vlachs. Whether we like it or not, Turkey and some Aegean Macedonian organizations advocated Cham issue more than Albanian state itself. But this has also its negative side: this gives to Greece sufficient room to damage the Cham issue because it treat as a problem fabricated by Turkey and Macedonia. I hope you get my point!

Because even in early 15th century Ottoman records, current northwestern Greece was the sanjak of Albania.
                                You're right. The sandjak of Albania, according to Ottoman records, encompassed most of modern Albania as far as Ambracia with an evident Albanian majority. This is also accepted by Turkish historians.

It would be a mistake to minimize the Albanian problem only in Chameria. It's evidently larger than that. What about thousands of Christian Albanian natives scattered all over Greece (Attica, Eubea, Thrace, etc)? If this problem would be solved correctly, then it must include all Albanians. We should not fall on Greek intrigues to abandon thousands of Christian Albanians...
                                Last edited by Epirot; 07-10-2011, 03:13 PM.
                                IF OUR CHRONICLES DO NOT LIE, WE CALL OURSELVES AS EPIROTES!

Comment

Working...
                                X