Sclavonic is spoken in Macedon, Greek is a dead tongue, 1630!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Soldier of Macedon
    • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Slovak
    Nouns pobednik, vojnik, zatvorenik, etc. derive from adjectives podedni (winning), vojni (military), zatvoreni (closed), etc. By adding the suffix -(i)k out of these adjecives we form nouns.
    This is true. I don't think there is a Slavic word relating to a 'victory' close to the Greek 'nika', I remember the word 'nikna' being discussed once, which means to 'arise' or 'sprout'.
    The suffix -ia is not of Slavic origin and appears in Slavic languages as foreign influence. Slovak for example doesn't use it. Serbian uses is only sometimes. A common Slavic suffix for country names is either -ska or sko like in Hrvatska, Polska, Česko, Slovensko, etc. There are also many other suffixes unique to various Slavic languages. Some more universal is -ica as in Lužica.
    I would say that the 'ija' suffix is more a common European feature than anything else. While the Slavic-speakers north of the Danube don't seem to use it, those south of the river do. I think we need to be more clinical when touching on such points, because something that may be common among the Slavic-speakers of one area may not be replicated elsewhere.

With regard to the etymology of Macedonia, I think it is an interesting subject which we should have a better look at some time in the near future, but currently I am undecided hence do not support any theories proposed. Slovak is correct with regard to the form of 'majka' deriving later (in written form anyway), but interestingly, the old Slavonic name for mother 'mati' has a striking similarity to an old name for Macedonia, which was 'emathia'. I am not claiming that these are linked, but it is certainly a curious similarity.

Slovak and Sarafot, both of you guys are creating some good discussions here, and both of you are ok so lets try and not show too much animosity towards each other, if one person is wrong then the other should explain why, if a person can see that what he has posted does not make sense in light of recent debates and discussions on the issue, then a second look must be taken at the sources produced. We are all here to broaden our knowledge, and even if I am proved wrong for anything then so be it, I will have learned something and altered my thinking for the better.

Originally posted by Sarafot
    you know Slovak,your knowlage make no sence, if normal (for you stupid), not so educated person, could not understand you!

You may convince somebody on your level,but can you convince ''stupid person'' becouse there are a lot of ''stupid'' like me?!
    Slovak, Sarafot makes a good point here. He has his own thoughts but is eager to learn, you have alot of knowledge that many around here cannot compare with, sometimes a little more diplomacy in the approach can help, people want to learn. I would hate to be a school student of yours if you were the teacher and I didn't do studies the night before!! Ајде дечки малце помирно
    In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
      • Sep 2008

The Sclavonic Tongue hath abolished her [Greek language] in Epire and Macedon, the Turk hath extuingished her in Syria, Palestine, Egypt, and fundry other parts.
      Please read this passage and tell me what the author is saying.
      What's the problem, something you don't understand? Slavonic was stronger than Greek in Macedonia and therefore displaced it. The native language of the people in Macedon displaced the decayed 'lingua franca' of the wider region, in the same manner as the native languages of places like France, Italy, Anatolia, Syria, Palestine and Egypt displaced the Greek tongue. Are you trying to imply that the Greek language was native to all of the above regions? Or is it about that time you disappear as per usual…………
      In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• Demos
        Banned
        • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Soldier of Macedon View Post
        What's the problem, something you don't understand? Slavonic was stronger than Greek in Macedonia and therefore displaced it. The native language of the people in Macedon displaced the decayed 'lingua franca' of the wider region, in the same manner as the native languages of places like France, Italy, Anatolia, Syria, Palestine and Egypt displaced the Greek tongue. Are you trying to imply that the Greek language was native to all of the above regions? Or is it about that time you disappear as per usual…………

SOM,

Are you implying that the Greek language was not native to any region at all? That it somehow just appeared out of thin air? I'm not claiming that ethnically all people who spoke Greek were Greek, but you appear to be taking to the other extreme, which is not correct either.

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
          • Sep 2008

The only place that the Greek language was 'native' in Macedonia was along the coastlines (like in Thrace, Anatolia, etc) as a result of colonists from the ancient period. However, it retained its commercial, educational and liturgical use in many parts (mainly towns) of Europe, Asia and Africa, until Slavonic, the native language of the region, naturally and inevitably overthrew it in the above spheres to varying degrees.

Comment

• momce
            Banned
            • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Soldier of Macedon View Post
            Svoliani, stop scrapping for something that ain't there. Slavonic was stronger than Greek in Macedonia and therefore displaced it. The native language of the people in Macedon displaced the decayed 'lingua franca' of the wider region. Go back to bed and stop the egress of filth emanating from your confused grkoman head.
            True, Greek was not a popular language in Macedonia. It was an academic-bourgeois language. What we see here is people confusing rent cultures with mass reality.

Comment

• momce
              Banned
              • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Demos View Post
              SOM,

Are you implying that the Greek language was not native to any region at all? That it somehow just appeared out of thin air? I'm not claiming that ethnically all people who spoke Greek were Greek, but you appear to be taking to the other extreme, which is not correct either.
              What before the Alexandrian koine was developed? Probably not. Its not surprising "greek" language was almost wiped out in these regions since it was not a native tongue. I doubt it had anything to do with migrations but more with political and cultural demise.
              Last edited by momce; 02-27-2013, 04:11 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X