X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George S.
    • Aug 2009

So whose skeleton was found??
    Also theres too much speculation about the finds.
    "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
    GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• Amphipolis
      Banned
      • Aug 2014

The speech was held at my University but I did not attend because I was working at the time; more news coming out.

There are three inscriptions, one saying "ΠΑΡΕΛΑΒΟΝ ΗΦΑΙΣΤΙΩΝΟΣ" or (according to other media) "ΠΑΡΕΛΑΒΟΝ ΗΦΑΙΣΤΙΩΝΟΣ ΗΡΩΟΝ" [(I) received Hephaestion's (Memorial)]. Also, ANT signatures which according to her suggest Antigonus Monophthalmous (Antigonus the One Eyed).

I've also read various versions in media, e.g. saying that one inscription says ΠΑΡΕΛΑΒΟΝ followed by Hephaestion's Monogram so I'm not sure which one is accurate and how undoubted this is.

Last edited by Amphipolis; 09-30-2015, 05:38 PM.

Comment

• Risto the Great
        • Sep 2008

I fear the woman in the middle ate the real evidence.
        Risto the Great
        MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
        "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• George S.
          • Aug 2009

The time its taking is just amazing.THe evidence may as well have been eaten.This doesnt happen elsewhere im sure
          Others would have reported sooner than later.Unless there is something to hide.
          Last edited by George S.; 09-30-2015, 07:50 PM.
          "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
          GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• Amphipolis
            Banned
            • Aug 2014

Strong objections already by other archaeologists. This is a picture of the inscriptions (whatever you can see). It seems they say "I received" followed by Hephaestion's Monogram. Sorry, I had no time for further study, the question is how strong her argument is.

Comment

• George S.
              • Aug 2009

What they got more time to just shuffle the material from one museum to another.Also they forbade people from takimg pictures at the digs.Why were certain places out of bounds and covered up so as not to see anything.?
              GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• Amphipolis
                Banned
                • Aug 2014

Originally posted by George S. View Post
                What they got more time to just shuffle the material from one museum to another.Also they forbade people from takimg pictures at the digs.Why were certain places out of bounds and covered up so as not to see anything.?
                The above inscriptions are NOT from the recent excavations. They were in the surrounding area, associated with the Lion of Amphipolis and other findings of 1910s.

This is one of the key debates. It seems that accepting (or not) the Lion of Amphipolis as part of the Tomb Memorial is critical on dating it, though I don't understand the technical details.

Comment

• Niko777
                  • Oct 2010

Originally posted by Amphipolis View Post
                  What kind of stupid institution is called "Aristotle University" and then has a picture of St. Dimitri as its logo

Comment

• Amphipolis
                    Banned
                    • Aug 2014

Originally posted by Niko777 View Post
                    What kind of stupid institution is called "Aristotle University" and then has a picture of St. Dimitri as its logo
                    Our University was founded in 1925 as University of Thessaloniki. It took the logo of St Demetrius in 1931, because Aristotle was already in the logo of the Law School.

It was named Aristotle University of Thessaloniki in 1954. The logo was based on a famous painting of St Demetrius. When this painting was later restored it was revealed this was actually a painting of St Nestor.

Comment

• George S.
                      • Aug 2009

The whole archaelogical world is in the same status that they arent sure of what they are finding.Naming and renaming people and countries is allways going on in our neighbours place.Universities are no exception.Just one question if next door is offended would the greeks recpricate like the warrior horse fiasco in rom??
                      GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• sydney
                        • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Amphipolis View Post
                        The first major results can be seen in posts #527-#528. More pathological details, DNA relations between the dead etc will be announced within 8-12 months since they got the bones.

I guess papers will keep on coming for years, yet it's certain we've lost (most of our) interest and I don't know what could make these researches spectacular again.

Meanwhile there have been some minor developments. Peristeri made comments that try to undermine the importance of the bones, only showing she's not very consistent. As for the new Minister he didn't say there's no more money and everything stops in Amphipolis, he said Amphipolis doesn't need more money than what is already scheduled.

The tabloid news a few posts above is mostly stupid (including irrelevant references to Alexander) but it's true there was a (protesting) geologist who was not in the excavation group (just passed for a while?) and made an unauthorized announcement (which is inappropriate and illegal), thus we don't know how reliable he is.
                        Any news yet?

Comment

• Amphipolis
                          Banned
                          • Aug 2014

Originally posted by sydney View Post
                          Any news yet?
                          About the bones, this is the latest I can find (from 3 months ago). It's google translation:

In itself the DNA can not give the identity of the deceased for who he is, if there are no comparable data "claims Christina Papageorgopoulou studied the osteological material from the tomb of Amphipolis. The Assistant Professor Department of History and Ethnology of Thrace University notes: "The world is imagined differently than it is in reality. The DNA depends on the research question. The value goes up when we have data to compare. Only then can we move on to theories and to answer questions. "

Parsimonious in its statements for the study of Amphipolis Tomb bone suggests that the study in collaboration with the History, Archaeology Professor of AUTH Sevi Triantafyllou, done with full attention and thorough research. When asked what are the cases of application of modern analytical methods skeletal material states: "The DNA analysis can not be applied in osteological material has been fired. In the case of Philip II is unlikely to find DNA molecules for analysis. "

According to Ms. Papageorgopoulou ancient DNA of the bones found in the tomb caste was not investigated, as in other cases, due to increased costs, but these analyzes could provide important information. "This funding is a very important problem, however, will have to fight like all other issues."

The University of Thrace in collaboration with foreign universities through special programs have already begun to study palaiogenetikou material 200 different samples. "These results eventually to be published '' says Ms. Papageorgopoulou which wishes to proceed with the creation ancient Greece DNA database.

Finally, Assistant Professor Department of History and Ethnology of Thrace University favors the application of modern methods in archeology. "We have very significant discoveries in recent years. The world is in need of information. The opening of archeology to the public think it is necessary. "

BONES IN THE GRAVE AMFIPOLIS

The skeletal remains of the funerary monument, the tomb caste amount to 550. Of these 157 are systematically recorded in a database and the performance was trying to separate people. Moreover, animal bones were identified, some of which seem to belong to equine long bones. The animal bones will be studied by a special Zooarchaeology. The minimum number of persons identified by the diagnostic skeletal remains equivalent to five people, four of which are assigned to burials and a combusted.

Interview with Christina Papageorgopoulou became a scientific conference organized by the Democritus University in collaboration with the Archaeological Museum of Thessaloniki on "Ancient DNA window into the past and the future"

Comment

• sydney
                            • Sep 2008

That's deflating. I appreciate there is an economic crisis of sorts in your country but money has never seemed to be an obstacle to prove the Greekness of Macedonia. I expect better.

Comment

• Amphipolis
                              Banned
                              • Aug 2014

So do I. This is an unexpectedly revealing interview of the same woman, the responsible professor Papageorgopoulou. In this she reminds that all the sceletons were disturbed, stirred, there were 5 bodies, 3 basic ones:

-one woman 60 years old
                              -one man 30-35
                              -one man 35-40
                              -also very small parts of a burnt person and a baby.

She says that genome is usually extracted from a certain bone (that is roughly behind the ear). This bone is found only for the woman, not for the two men. So,...

Η καθηγήτρια Φυσικής Ανθρωπολογιας Χριστίνα Παπαγεωργοπουλου μιλά για πρώτη φορά για τα οστά της Αμφιπολης ,.*ΑΠΑΓΟΡΕΎΕΤΑΙ η επαναχρησιμοποίηση ολόκληρου η ...

===
                              Last edited by Amphipolis; 02-21-2017, 08:34 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X