• Show
Clear All
  • Niko777
    • Oct 2010

Yasou Prijatele!

Έδεσσα: Πολιτιστικός Σύλλογος Αρκούδες Μέτσκες "30.12.2016"

• Karposh
    • Aug 2015

I've noticed that the poster of these videos, Giorgos Thanou, who is one of many out there in Aegean Macedonia doing the same, is walking a fine line and is not allowing comments on his videos. He hasn't disabled them altogether, as an option, but is very selective, with what he allows to go public. I can understand that though. The last thing he would want is for an innocent video of Macedonians enjoying themselves in their own back yard being the source of endless, ugly and nasty nationalist debates on YouTube.

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
      • Sep 2008

He's got some cool videos, so good to see Macedonians freely celebrating their culture in this part of Macedonia. There is yet hope, despite the lack of recognition or support from the Greek regime.
      In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• vicsinad
        • May 2011

Yes, he does have cool videos. It's great to see many Macedonians expressing themselves.

Comment

• Karposh
          • Aug 2015

18α Ποζαρίτικα 28/8/16 στο Λουτράκι Αριδαίας Πέλλαςμε Ήχο Αλμωπίας - Χρήστος ΤσιπάρηςΠολιτιστικός Σύλλογος Λουτρακίου "το Πόζαρ"Πρόεδρος: Γιώργος ΜπαϊράμηςΧο...

Not a hint of a Greek accent in his singing. Macedonian songs sound dreadful when sung with a Greek accent.

Comment

• Risto the Great
            • Sep 2008

I'd imagine an Australian accent would be even worse. I'd be happy to hear it, no matter what accent.
            Risto the Great
            MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
            "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• Karposh
              • Aug 2015

Originally posted by Risto the Great View Post
              I'd imagine an Australian accent would be even worse. I'd be happy to hear it, no matter what accent.
              Maybe you misunderstood. When they first plucked up the courage to sing in their own language at village gatherings, I think it was in the early 90's, the singing was done in a very thick Greek accent (check out some of the Youtube videos out there from the last decade or two). You have to admit Macedonian songs don't sound quite the same when sung in a Greek style. The uniqueness of a Macedonian harmony is in the traditional Macedonian way of singing them as demonstrated by the guy in the video. They've come a long way. That's all I was saying. Not knocking their efforts, no matter how they sing it - perish the thought.

Jees, it's a tough crowd these days.

Comment

• Risto the Great
                • Sep 2008

I wasn't having a go. Just saying that any expression of Macedonism is appreciated. No matter how bad.
                Risto the Great
                MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
                "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• Niko777
                  • Oct 2010

Originally posted by Karposh View Post
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZiNTjxPbCk

Not a hint of a Greek accent in his singing. Macedonian songs sound dreadful when sung with a Greek accent.
                  When you think about it, every part of Macedonia has it's own accent. Macedonians north of Bitola have a Serbian accent, in Pirin they have a Bulgarian accent, in Pustec they speak with an Albanian accent, and who knows... all of our ancestors probably spoke with a Turkish accent.

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                    • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Niko777 View Post
                    When you think about it, every part of Macedonia has it's own accent. Macedonians north of Bitola have a Serbian accent, in Pirin they have a Bulgarian accent, in Pustec they speak with an Albanian accent, and who knows... all of our ancestors probably spoke with a Turkish accent.
                    There is no doubt that Macedonian has been vulnerable because its traditional territory has been occupied by various foreigners, but the extent of external influence varies depending on the region. As far as accents go, particularly those on the periphery, there is also the dialect continuum of Slavic languages which needs to considered. Suggesting that people in Prilep, Krusevo and Demir Hisar (which are north of Bitola but nowhere near the Serbian border) speak with a Serbian accent is simply ridiculous. I have relatives in all of those places, so I am telling you from personal experience. I would like to see you add weight to your argument though, so can you tell me, in your opinion, what defines a "Serbian accent" or a "Bulgarian accent" and how do they differ from historically Macedonian accents?
                    In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                      • Sep 2008

How do you guys find this song?

Παραδοσιακό τραγούδι στο τοπικό γλωσσικό ιδίωμα από το Κρατερό (πρώην Ράκοβο) Φλώρινας όπου αναφέρεται στον ήρωα οπλαρχηγό γηγενή Μακεδονομάχο Παύλο Ρακοβίτ...

It is about Pavle Iliev from Rakovo, a Macedonian who ended up supporting the Patriarchists in Macedonia and eventually became a grkoman. The dialect of the person singing in the clip is very understandable to me, the only word that I wouldn't use in my dialect is the word 'trapeza' ('table' in Greek).

Comment

• DraganOfStip
                        • Aug 2011

Originally posted by Soldier of Macedon View Post
                        The dialect of the person singing in the clip is very understandable to me, the only word that I wouldn't use in my dialect is the word 'trapeza' ('table' in Greek).
                        In Macedonian, "trpeza" means "dining table", it's a word often used to describe a table of food at a slava or some other celebration event.
                        ”A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims... but accomplices”
                        ― George Orwell

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                          • Sep 2008

Originally posted by DraganOfStip View Post
                          In Macedonian, "trpeza" means "dining table", it's a word often used to describe a table of food at a slava or some other celebration event.
                          Is that in the literary language or just some dialects? I have never heard the word being used among my family, neither here in Australia nor in Macedonia. In fact (and I am not purporting to be that well travelled across Macedonia), I have never heard any Macedonian use this word before up until now.

Comment

• maco2envy
                            • Jan 2015

Is that in the literary language or just some dialects? I have never heard the word being used among my family, neither here in Australia nor in Macedonia. In fact (and I am not purporting to be that well travelled across Macedonia), I have never heard any Macedonian use this word before up until now.
                            My parents are from the Ohrid region, we use the word 'trpeza' in the same manner as Dragan specified.

Comment

• Karposh
                              • Aug 2015

Originally posted by Soldier of Macedon View Post
                              Although we very rarely use it these days, if ever, I remember the word "trpeza" was actually quite common when I was growing up. I looked it up in my Macedonian dictionary and it's definitely in there. It was often used in a "slava" sense, like Dragan said. You wouldn't use it to call someone to sit and their dinner at the dinner table. You'd just say "Staveno e za jadenje."

Comment

Working...
                              X