• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tomche Makedonche
    • Oct 2011

Originally posted by Risto the Great View Post
    haha, cheers for that.
    The timing is shocking. But the clarity of the sounds pleased me.

That distorted guitar was fun. A little 1960's combo valve amp (EL84, 12AX7, 6X4 valve rectified) I bought from Cash Converters for $10 because it didn't work. I replaced a resistor and it never fails to freak me. The fuzz sound is literally the amp vibrating.
    Hahaha nice one, its definitely got a killer tone man, don't know why you faded out so quickly when it kicked in though

What kind of acoustic am I hearing?

Les Paul Standard through a fulltone tube screamer pedal type circuit into amp. Recorded with a Beyer M160 ribbon microphone into Telefunken V72 mic preamp through Apogee Duet into Macbook Pro. Added a little delay in my DAW (Reaper). .... way too much gear, I can't help myself!

We all need a passion! I have too many unfortunately.
    Telefunken V72 mic preamp?, talk about vintage gear, was this a recent acquirement?

It's amazing how much digital recording has progressed, you could literally carry around a portable studio in a back pack these days.
    “There’s a time when the operation of the machine becomes so odious, makes you so sick at heart, that you can’t take part, you can’t even passively take part, and you’ve got to put your bodies upon the gears and upon the wheels, upon the levers, upon all the apparatus and you’ve got to make it stop, and you’ve got to indicate to the people who run it, to the people who own it, that unless you’re free, the machine will be prevented from working at all” - Mario Savio

Comment

• Risto the Great
      • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Tomche Makedonche View Post
      Hahaha nice one, its definitely got a killer tone man, don't know why you faded out so quickly when it kicked in though

What kind of acoustic am I hearing?
      That was never meant to be a song. Just amusement. The acoustic on the Lazy song was a Martin 000 15M and the other song was a Martin DC28E. I think the microphones used made the most difference to the recorded sound.

Telefunken V72 mic preamp?, talk about vintage gear, was this a recent acquirement?

It's amazing how much digital recording has progressed, you could literally carry around a portable studio in a back pack these days.
      I have a few V72. In the German gear, I also have V77 and V78 mic preamps. Also the transistor V376, V676a, V672 + compressors + EQ's. The German broadcast gear is so amazing. I've had them for years. I smelled money in them and accumulated more than I care to admit way back before the Euro was even introduced. They have sky rocketed in value. My microphones go right back to the 1930's. Some brilliant and unique stuff. Now I am looking at the old British and American ribbon mics. Hobbies can be fun and rewarding!

Re portable recording rigs, I also have an Apogee ONE which allows you to record to an iPhone or iPad. Straight to Garageband and you are honestly making real music on a bloody phone! Amazing.
      Risto the Great
      MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
      "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• Tomche Makedonche
        • Oct 2011

I'm just saying that I found myself disappointed that it suddenly finished when it did

Acoustic in down around sounds the better of the two in my opinion, so whatever you did there, keep on it

As for that gear... Wow...my only question would be does most of it still work? I've heard of people having to re gut the old Telefunkin preamps
        Last edited by Tomche Makedonche; 11-03-2015, 06:58 AM.
        “There’s a time when the operation of the machine becomes so odious, makes you so sick at heart, that you can’t take part, you can’t even passively take part, and you’ve got to put your bodies upon the gears and upon the wheels, upon the levers, upon all the apparatus and you’ve got to make it stop, and you’ve got to indicate to the people who run it, to the people who own it, that unless you’re free, the machine will be prevented from working at all” - Mario Savio

Comment

• Tomche Makedonche
          • Oct 2011

Came across this the other day so thought I'd share

Germany's answer to digital amp modelling:

Comment

• Risto the Great
            • Sep 2008

As for that gear... Wow...my only question would be does most of it still work? I've heard of people having to re gut the old Telefunkin preamps
            Organisations like Telefunken, Siemens, TAB and Neumann were government subsidised to manufacture quite simply the best broadcasting equipment the world had ever seen at the time. It was a statement to the world of German engineering prowess.

People pay a fortune for an old Neve mic preamp module, but the Telefunken modules are substantially cheaper and no lesser in any way. It all comes down to which engineer is using what. Russell Elevado is a brilliant audio engineer that uses the Telefunken gear a lot. Listen to D'Angelo: Voodoo and Black Messiah for some of the most amazing fat sounds of the 21st century.

Most vintage gear could do with the odd capacitor replacement here and there. As long as the transformers are fine, these things will run forever (assuming valves are available). Nothing else sounds quite like the vintage gear. But there is also some amazing modern gear. Some you can make DIY. I've made a few preamps and compressors. Good therapy!
            Risto the Great

Comment

• Risto the Great
              • Sep 2008

Came across this the other day so thought I'd share

Germany's answer to digital amp modelling:

http://youtu.be/9PW4VJsdBTk
              What a monster!

I had a H&K amp way back in the 90's. It was awesome! I was the first to figure out that putting an EQ through the effects loop turned it into a monster. After I did that, Adelaide sold out of those amps. Honest. The guy from Superjesus bought one immediately after he heard my amp. H&K were one of the first companies to offer midi switching on their amps. I had to fax them to buy a midi module that could be retro-fitted to one of their preamps back in the day.

I still think they are great and have some of their gear.

But those Kempers are kind of freaking me out lately.

Having said that, I really enjoy the Vox sound now and have some excellent examples.
              Risto the Great

Comment

• Risto the Great
                • Sep 2008

10 year old girl just pwned most guitarists around the world:
                cp:085237378174https://www.facebook.com/AyuGusfanzID/Terima kasih Ayu gusfanz buat: Allah SWT dan Rasullullah ,buat Ayah & Bunda,Pak de Arix,om Jhon progresi...
                Risto the Great

Comment

• Tomche Makedonche
                  • Oct 2011

10 year old girl just pwned most guitarists around the world:
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3No...ature=youtu.be
                  Well, that's that I suppose, might as well just burn all my gear and be done with it. Seriously, sweep arpeggios, and not just that, sweep tapping arpeggios at 10?, WTF???? How????

Comment

• Tomche Makedonche
                    • Oct 2011

By the way, I noticed my local Guitar store had the blue version of that Steve Vai signature Ibanez she is rocking:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

so tempting...

Comment

• Risto the Great
                      • Sep 2008

By the way, I noticed my local Guitar store had the blue version of that Steve Vai signature Ibanez she is rocking:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

so tempting...
                      They are seriously good guitars. That fella sounds great ... totally Vai
                      If you want any Ibanez guitar, I have a client you really might need to talk to before making any decision.
                      Risto the Great

Comment

• Risto the Great
                        • Sep 2008

Well, that's that I suppose, might as well just burn all my gear and be done with it. Seriously, sweep arpeggios, and not just that, sweep tapping arpeggios at 10?, WTF???? How????
                        Yeah, I have no words of comfort.
                        Risto the Great

Comment

• George S.
                          • Aug 2009

How long does it take to learn to play a guitar these days.???
                          "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
                          GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• TheNikoWhiteIch
                            • Oct 2014

It really depends on how you go about it. For starters, make sure you practice every day and for a few hours. Depending on the kind of music you wanna play, you'll look up different artists and try to learn what their style of playing is like. From there, you can find out what kind of techniques you need to learn (sliding, hammer-ons, pull-offs, tapping, sweep picking, etc.). Also be sure to have at least some background in music and you understand how the notes and scales are oriented on the guitar and how that varies depending on your tuning. All that's left is to find some friends you can jam with and have a good time with it. And lastly:

Comment

• Risto the Great
                              • Sep 2008

Originally posted by George S. View Post
                              How long does it take to learn to play a guitar these days.???
                              Looking at that little girl, I would say 3 minutes.
                              As Niko said above, dedicating time and thought will yield results. A beginner could learn simple a song in a weekend off Youtube. It's a good time to start learning.
                              Risto the Great

Comment

• TheNikoWhiteIch
                                • Oct 2014

If you don't mind the language barrier, there's this great channel on YouTube that gives very detailed lessons on how to play specific songs. I recommend them! They've helped me a lot!

Comment

Working...
                                X