X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Liberator of Makedonija
    • Apr 2014

Macedônia, Brazil

Just discovered there is a municipality in São Paulo state, Brazil.

Starting this thread for any relevant information in regards to when, how and why the name 'Macedonia' was attatched to this area of the state.

Link to image of the municipal flag:
    I know of two tragic histories in the world- that of Ireland, and that of Macedonia. Both of them have been deprived and tormented.
    • Apr 2014

Portuguese wikipedia states the founding date to be 27 October 1946.
    I know of two tragic histories in the world- that of Ireland, and that of Macedonia. Both of them have been deprived and tormented.

Comment

• Skolovranec
      • Mar 2017

Brazil has the most macedonian diaspora in South America, could the founders have been macedonians?
      Anti-EU Pro-Guns National-Libertarian Trekkie Minarchist
      Anti-NATO Pro-United MK Agnostic Secularist Magick Occultist
      Anti-UN Pro-Military Meritocratic Integrationist Altruistic Socio-Darwinist
      Anti-Globalist Pro-Choice Intellectual Pirate Spiritual Vagabond

Comment

• Apr 2014

Originally posted by Skolovranec View Post
        Brazil has the most macedonian diaspora in South America, could the founders have been macedonians?
        Considering the founding date, it is possible but I thought Argentina had the larger population?

Comment

• Skolovranec
          • Mar 2017

Originally posted by Liberator of Makedonija View Post
          Considering the founding date, it is possible but I thought Argentina had the larger population?
          Maybe back in time, but I think at present Brazil has more. I could be wrong on this though, I haven't cross-checked. But it would follow some degree of logic since Brazil is the biggest country there too.

Comment

• Apr 2014

There is also a city in Ohio, USA named 'Macedonia':

Comment

• grtalx
              • Mar 2010

To all:

There is a population of Macedonians living in Latin America that is alleged to be 70,000 strong, primarily in Argentina, Brazil and Chile.

Most Macedonians living in other parts of the world have lost touch with Latin Macedonians. I am part of a group that is trying to connect with as many Latin Macedonians as possible. The group is known as The Macedonian Connection (MC) and we are creating a website of the same name. MC's purpose is to find and connect Macedonians with one another. Worldwide, we are small in numbers and finding where we live and work is a challenge. We're hoping MC will make it easier to connect with one another whether its in our home town or on the other side of the planet.

We would be grateful to hear from anyone who has connections to Latin Macedonians and/or their organizations, clubs, etc. Please contact me if you have any such connections or know of anyone who does.

Mnogo fala!
              Penko

Comment

• Starling
                • Sep 2017

I thought I saw some Macedonian-looking people wearing Kausias somewhere in South America in some news footage once or twice. What are things like for them over there? How many Macedonian Orthodox churches are in Brazil?

Comment

• grtalx
                  • Mar 2010

My understanding is that we, Macedonians living in the Diaspora, have pretty much lost touch with Latin Macedonians.

There isn't a single Church in all of South and Central America. The Canadian-American Diocese is trying to establish a Church, but am told the task is daunting.

The Republic just opened its first embassy in Latin America (Brazil).

Comment

• Skolovranec
                    • Mar 2017

I have heard that it would be easier to raise a church in Chile than Argentina or Brazil. Somebody local maybe explain why this might be the case? Is it grounded in local laws? Is Chilean law more loose/liberal in this way?

Comment

• Big Bad Sven
                      • Jan 2009

I unfortunately lost the message my friend in brazil sent me about this city. But basically it was named 'Macedonia' not becasue of macedonian immigrants but becasue of a famous protuguse/brazilian poet from the 17th or 18th century.

'Macedo' is a common surname in portuguse, the small 'city' in Sao Paulo called Macedonia means 'land of macedo' in portuguse.

If there where macedonian immigrants in brazil it would have happened in the late 1800s and early 1900s and the would have probably migrated to Parana (large slavic/eastern european population) or Rio Grande Do Sul (large european colonisation).

Comment

Working...
                      X