X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Louis
    Banned
    • Jun 2012

If any of the Australian branch is reading this, please provide more details and corrections to the following pages:

Melas Family (Genealogical tree)

It starts 4 generations before Paul Melas (I) and ends at Paul Melas (II) but doesn't mention his wife, children and grandchildren.

Dragoumis Family (Genealogical tree)

It starts 3 generations before Natalia Dragoumi and reaches Paul Melas (II), mentions a wife with a different name (than the one in previous posts) Zoe-Alice Vojvoda instead of Euthymia and mentions only one of their five children (Michael).
    Last edited by Louis; 08-19-2012, 11:57 AM.

Comment

• Macedonian_Nationalist
      • Jul 2012

Originally posted by lavce pelagonski View Post
      Dont know how relavent this is but I will post it anyway.

Pavlos Melas is Alive and Lives in Sydney!
      By Marianna Tsatsou on August 17, 2012 in News

The great grandson of famed Macedonian freedom fighter Pavlos Melas is reported to be living in Sydney where he runs his own drugstore.

In 1949, the grandson of Pavlos Melas, who was named after his grandfather, moved to “the Antipodes” along with his spouse Efthimia and their four children. Efthimia gave birth to one more daughter while in Australia. At first, they settled in North Bondi, where younger Melas worked as a typist. He passed away in 1982.

While Pavlos Melas was a pretty important Macedonian fighter, his descendants never sought publicity. The Greeks of Australia became aware that Melas’ descendants were living in the country during an event organized by the Australasian Hellenic Educational Progressive Association in NSW (AHEPA), to honor this significant figure.

“There are many relatives of the late Melas back in Greece as well as in Marseille, France, where he was born,” Louiza Mela, a relative of grandson Pavlos Melas told SBS radio.

(Source: ana-mpa)
      Code:
      http://au.greekreporter.com/2012/08/17/pavlos-melas-is-alive-and-lives-in-sydney
      Lol Macedonian.. 50 cent is also Macedonian because he visited Macedonia.

Comment

• George S.
        • Aug 2009

MN he also learn't to speak macedonian he said that in one of his letters then that's the other half of the 50% of being macedonian.
        "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
        GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• AJ 2000
          • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Soldier of Macedon View Post
          I don't think he was of Macedonian origin because he would not need to learn the simple words he did.

Probably an Albanian, Vlach or a bit of both.

Does Melas mean anything in Albanian or Latin?
          Very unlkely. Vlachs were considered outsiders by the Byzantine hierarchy, because their migration happened several centuries after the empire was established, and Albanian groups didn't become part of Byzantine officialdom.

"The Melas family came from Ioannina and is amongst the most important, and the oldest noble families of Epirus. According to some, the Melas family had Byzantine origins, since, as mentioned by the family’s basic biographer, Leon I. Melas, they came from the family of Stratigopoulos, who was a Byzantine official.

Members of the Melas family were scattered in many places of central Europe, already from the 15th century. We find them at the court of king Sigismund of Hungary-Bohemia in the 15th century, and more specifically with the name Melas Feld in Bohemia. Furthermore, the Melas presence is mentioned apart from Epirus also in Illyria, Dalmatia, Walachia. It is indicative that the Magyar Ioannis Freiderikos Melas was a member of the court of the Habsburg emperor Charles VI in 1712. One of his descendants was Michael Friedrich Benedict Melas, commander of the Austrian forces against Napoleon in the famous battle of Marengo which took place on 14th June 1800."
          Last edited by AJ 2000; 09-20-2012, 05:57 PM.

Comment

• TrueMacedonian
            • Jan 2009

Originally posted by AJ 2000 View Post
            Very unlkely. Vlachs were considered outsiders by the Byzantine hierarchy, because their migration happened several centuries after the empire was established, and Albanian groups didn't become part of Byzantine officialdom.

"The Melas family came from Ioannina and is amongst the most important, and the oldest noble families of Epirus. According to some, the Melas family had Byzantine origins, since, as mentioned by the family’s basic biographer, Leon I. Melas, they came from the family of Stratigopoulos, who was a Byzantine official.

Members of the Melas family were scattered in many places of central Europe, already from the 15th century. We find them at the court of king Sigismund of Hungary-Bohemia in the 15th century, and more specifically with the name Melas Feld in Bohemia. Furthermore, the Melas presence is mentioned apart from Epirus also in Illyria, Dalmatia, Walachia. It is indicative that the Magyar Ioannis Freiderikos Melas was a member of the court of the Habsburg emperor Charles VI in 1712. One of his descendants was Michael Friedrich Benedict Melas, commander of the Austrian forces against Napoleon in the famous battle of Marengo which took place on 14th June 1800."
            Source please.

Here's something I found:
            Last edited by TrueMacedonian; 09-20-2012, 06:22 PM.
            Slayer Of The Modern "greek" Myth!!!

Comment

• Carlin
              • Dec 2011

The noble hero Melas is yet another naive myth and an ideological construct of nationalist "theology". The man never fought (the first shot that fell against him killed him).

Comment

• AJ 2000
                • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Carlin View Post
                The noble hero Melas is yet another naive myth and an ideological construct of nationalist "theology". The man never fought (the first shot that fell against him killed him).

http://www.freeinquiry.gr/pro.php?id=182
                My post wasn't about his fight in Macedonia, which I have no opinion about, but the origin of families of the byzantine bureaucracy.

Originally posted by TrueMacedonian View Post
                Source please.

Here's something I found:

A whole quote linking this apparent sentence together is impossible to access - and even it if is a complete sentence rather than a composite search result of separate paragraphs, it's likely not correct. If the Melas family were indeed descended from the Stratigopoulos family of Byzantine officials, its very unlikely they would have been Vlach.
                Last edited by AJ 2000; 09-21-2012, 03:13 AM.

Comment

• AJ 2000
                  • Sep 2012

Originally posted by TrueMacedonian View Post
                  The word Melas in Albanian and Latin (Melasa) both mean the same thing. Molasses or Treacle. Possible that the Melas family at one time were involved with molasses business ventures seeing as they were merchants. I could be wrong.
                  The word is of greek etymology. The first available mention of the word 'melas' in any european language is in greek.

Last edited by AJ 2000; 09-21-2012, 02:10 AM.

Comment

• Daskalot
                    • Sep 2008

Welcome to our forum AJ 2000, what brings you here and where do you hail from?
                    Macedonian Truth Organisation

Comment

• AJ 2000
                      • Sep 2012

Hello,
                      interest in linking families of the byzantine bureaucracy brings me here, and I'm from the UK.

Comment

• Daskalot
                        • Sep 2008

Hello,
                        interest in linking families of the byzantine bureaucracy brings me here, and I'm from the UK.
                        I see, linking them to who/what? Present day living Greeks maybe?
                        Do you have access to church records or similar in doing this linking?

Comment

• AJ 2000
                          • Sep 2012

I haven't had access to church records so far, but that's a worthwhile avenue.

"Linking them to present day greeks maybe "

That's not necessarily my area of interest, but potentially an interesting by-product I suppose.

There's a couple of things that interest me : first of all the origins of families who established themselves in the byzantine bureaucracy ; how they might have been linked ; and what became of them after the arrival of the turks. I appreciate that's not the topic of this forum, but as it came up for a search on this family , so - I'm here.
                          Last edited by AJ 2000; 09-21-2012, 05:03 AM.

Comment

• Daskalot
                            • Sep 2008

Interesting research, keep up posted with what you will find.
                            So as of now, what do you base your research on?

Comment

• AJ 2000
                              • Sep 2012

It seems to be an almost completely unresearched area. To begin with, I'm trying to identify the small number of families who claimed descent from a single byzantine official ; in fact it's a much more uncommon claim than you might think, so it's a useful starting point. In this case, the family name's etymology, and the fact that they already seem to have been well-established within the byzantine system as landowners by the fourteenth century or before, points to it possibly being true. I will let you know how my researches progress - if they progress In the meantime, sorry for taking your board off-topic.
                              Last edited by AJ 2000; 09-21-2012, 05:03 AM.

Comment

• TrueMacedonian
                                • Jan 2009

The word is of greek etymology. The first available mention of the word 'melas' in any european language is in greek.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melas_(mythology)
                                But there is another more common etymology of this word. Melas = Black.
                                Slayer Of The Modern "greek" Myth!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X