X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Niko777
    • Oct 2010

A Glimpse of the Greek Electoral Census of 1914

These are pages from the Greek Municipal Database of Florina (Lerin) of the 1914 census for the village of Bouf (Akritas). When the original records were computerized in the last decade, a couple of good whistle-blowers leaked some of the village censuses to the public, some were given to the local village authorities, the rest remains secret. It is amazing at what kind of records are in the Greek archives.

During the 1914 census the greater part of the population were registered by authorities with new Greek names. All of the first names were Hellenized. However, it is interesting that some last names were registered in their original form. The census below reveals some of the personal names of the villagers from Bouf, 1914. Some examples are Tsefetkofski (Cvetkovski), Terptski (Trpcski), Aggelefski (Angelevski), Vasilofski (Vasilovski), Gkiourofski (Gjurovski), etc.

LASTNAME - NAME - FATHER'S NAME - YEAR OF BIRTH - OCCUPATION - PLACE

Last edited by Niko777; 04-04-2012, 06:26 PM.
  • Niko777
    • Oct 2010

If you study the columns of the first names, it is very interesting to see how the Greeks Hellenized the Macedonian names. For example, looking at the first 2 pages, there are names like Stogiannis (Stoyan), Stoitso (Stojce), Naoum (Naum), Spasis (Spase), Traitse (Trajce), Petkos (Petko), Giagkoulas (Jankulo), etc
    Last edited by Niko777; 04-04-2012, 06:55 PM.

Comment

• George S.
      • Aug 2009

that's a good find niko it could be used for reference purposes.
      "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
      GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• Risto the Great
        • Sep 2008

Excellent find Niko.
        Pretty hard to change the "fski" names.
        But I am sure they would have found it very easy to "Greekify" many less complicated Macedonian names.

Notwithstanding this ... the village is called BOUF ... written by Greeks for Greek consumption. Ha ha ... how embarrassing for them.
        Risto the Great
        MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
        "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• George S.
          • Aug 2009

Unlike the statements our so called greek friends are trying to make that all these names were carefully thought about.I tried to explain how some were made on the run.They even left macedonian names & some they didn't even think why they were called whatever for thousands of years.Also peole's names might have been an oversight or just simply left out with their own macedonian ones.But we know it was to cover up & make it look like everything was greek when it wasn't.There was so much daily greek propaganda trying to assimilate the macedonians.
          Where they missed out is ver embarrasing for them even to the point high people up the political tree people recognised the macedonians & they recorded it in their diaries.A clear distinction of endopi (indigenous) people to the local non macedonian people.
          Last edited by George S.; 04-05-2012, 05:34 AM. Reason: ed
          "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
          GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• Daskalot
            • Sep 2008

Absolutely great information Niko! Thank you for posting it here, it is of tremendous value! Thank you so much!
            Golem Makedonski junak si!
            Macedonian Truth Organisation

Comment

• Pavle Pijanica
              • Jan 2012

Originally posted by Daskalot View Post
              Absolutely great information Niko! Thank you for posting it here, it is of tremendous value! Thank you so much!
              Golem Makedonski junak si!
              Guys,

Are you able to find censuses of other villages around Lerin for that period ?

Let me know...

Comment

• Bill77
                • Oct 2009

Originally posted by Niko777 View Post
                These are pages from the Greek Municipal Database of Florina (Lerin) of the 1914 census for the village of Bouf (Akritas). When the original records were computerized in the last decade, a couple of good whistle-blowers leaked some of the village censuses to the public, some were given to the local village authorities, the rest remains secret. It is amazing at what kind of records are in the Greek archives.

During the 1914 census the greater part of the population were registered by authorities with new Greek names. All of the first names were Hellenized. However, it is interesting that some last names were registered in their original form. The census below reveals some of the personal names of the villagers from Bouf, 1914. Some examples are Tsefetkofski (Cvetkovski), Terptski (Trpcski), Aggelefski (Angelevski), Vasilofski (Vasilovski), Gkiourofski (Gjurovski), etc.

LASTNAME - NAME - FATHER'S NAME - YEAR OF BIRTH - OCCUPATION - PLACE

Niko.... ive been looking for this post for years now and finally found it. Sadly the images of this census no longer appear on your post. Just wondering if somehow you can retrieve them again, you will make me one happy man
                http://www.macedoniantruth.org/forum/showthread.php?p=120873#post120873

Comment

• Amphipolis
                  Banned
                  • Aug 2014

Originally posted by Bill77 View Post
                  Niko.... ive been looking for this post for years now and finally found it. Sadly the images of this census no longer appear on your post. Just wondering if somehow you can retrieve them again, you will make me one happy man
                  It's probably this:

Comment

• Bill77
                    • Oct 2009

Originally posted by Amphipolis View Post
                    It's probably this:
                    http://novazora.gr/arhivi/5393
                    Thanks Amphipolis.
                    Unfortunately, That link doesn't have the full list of Bouf (particularly the surnames beginning with "V") that Niko once posted. It mentioned 6 paternal generations of mine.

Comment

• Odi Zvezdo
                      • Apr 2016

It cant be real...its a fake..Tito created the "SKI" names in 1945 when the Macedonian nation was formed and the Macedonian people fell from the sky.... Prosti Luje at its finest!!!

Comment

• Niko777
                        • Oct 2010

For my friend Bill77. Happy Easter!

Comment

• Bill77
                          • Oct 2009

Originally posted by Niko777 View Post
                          For my friend Bill77. Happy Easter!
                          Dear Niko
                          You have just given me an amazing gift. Now part of my ancestors are no longer dead and will rise, even if it's just by name, we will get to know them, mention their names, therefore, they will live again in our memories. How symbolic on this day of Easter.

Today our large family are gathering together to celebrate Easter, together with my father who has been doing it tough with his health these last few years. What a gift this would be to pass on to him especially, and in front of the whole family, his paternal lineage pre his grandfather Filko (Filip).

Niko, da si zdrav i ziv isto i za familiata da ti se zdravi i zivi za ova podklona. Happy easter my good friend.

Comment

• Bill77
                            • Oct 2009

Amphipolis (or anyone else thats able to)
                            would you be kind enough to translate just the section who has the surname "Vasilovski" ? im assuming the letter "B" is "V" for Vasilovski.

i would really appreciate it.

just start it with the corresponding number on the list so i know which line im looking at, followed by,

SURNAME NAME FATHERS NAME YEAR OCCUPATION PLACE

Comment

• Niko777
                              • Oct 2010

There are many with the name Vasilovski

#51 to 65
                              AND
                              #70 to 77
                              AND
                              #79 to 80

Bill do you have a specific first name I can look for?

Comment

Working...
                              X