A Question For Our Modern Greek Friends???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sweet Sixteen
    Banned
    • Jan 2014

Originally posted by Napoleon View Post
    What is 'Hellenism'???

Although modern Greek literature full of references to 'Hellenism', especially with regard to Macedonia ("Alexander spread Hellenism", "Macedonia is a bastion of Hellenism" etc), I have still yet to read a basic definition as to exactly what 'Hellenism' means.

This question is even more perplexing when you consider that 'Hellenism' is a completely modern term which the ancients had absolutely no idea or concept of.

Therefore can one of our modern Greek friends on this forum please give us a definition of what 'Hellenism' means in order to clear up this issue.

Thanks in advance.
    Depending on the context, Hellenism in Greek language may mean "Greek people" or "Greek culture". This is also the meaning in the two examples you gave. Typical phrases in Greece are "Hellenism of diaspora" (i.e. Greek diaspora), "history of Hellenism" (i.e. history of Greek people) etc.

We also use the term Romiosyne as a synonym, which refers to the recent centuries (mostly after the fall of Constantinople) and is slightly more poetic.

Comment

• George S.
      • Aug 2009

The greeks forget that under the Macedonian people they were conquered.Why would alexander heavily fortify Greece with Macedonian garrisons before he fought the Persians.I beg to disagree that alexander the great spread Hellenism.To me Hellenism is simply another name for greeks.I have read a number of books they say Hellenism ended when alexander conquered the greeks.The greeks resented that & the so called Hellenism never rekindled again even after 1832 it wasn't real Hellenism .Remember there have been periods when greeks thought of themselves as romaoi romans.SO this Hellenism bit is popping up again & again its simply a blast from the past.The greeks a a recent latin term have not been called much of hellinism because as mentioned after alexander conquered Greece real Hellenism CEased to exist.People are simply believing in a pseudo Hellenism.
      Last edited by George S.; 02-21-2014, 02:34 PM.
      "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
      GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

Working...
      X