X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Orovnichanec
    • Sep 2008

Where was Alexander the Great buried?

A question that has been asked so many times, and discussed so many times...

I've heard so many things, like supposedly the sarcophagus has been found of Alexander and the Crvenkovski has it as his own gift. I heard this, the past summer.

Rumor's have it that his grave is in Belasica. There is a rumor that during the times of Yugoslavia, there was 12 bodies found in the vicinity of where the supposed tomb is. These bodies were in "cosmic" alien like suits. The 5 people that uncovered the 12 bodies have all died of radiation. More to that is that the president at the time Tito, had the bodies "burned" and then buried under 2 meters of solid concerte. Some say that the 12 bodies that were found their were the keepers and protectors of Alexander's tomb.

What other rumors/situations have you heard? And whats your belief on where Alexander is buried? I myself honestly believe he is buried the Republic. Either in or around Belasica, or Ohrid.
    "Oh, Macedonians! It is time we realized that the greatest demon Macedonia must battle against is none other than Bulgaria" - Krste Petkov Misirkov
  • Soldier of Macedon
    • Sep 2008

Others have said in the valley of the kings in Egypt, didn't one of his generals like Ptolemy or Perdika intercept the caravan taking his body back to Babylon? What do the ancient sources say?
    In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• osiris
      • Sep 2008

i think you are alluding this story som. the sarcophogus was on its way to macedonia when it was highjacked by ptolemy and taken to alexandia where his mummified body rested for at least the duration of ptolemys reign.

Comment

• Rogi
        • Sep 2008

Last known was centuries after he died, when someone broke his nose by touching the dead body. I'm on the train so no books here with me to get the name and source.

The Crvenkovski story is something I heard from MANY people, some of whom also happen to be (scum of the earth) tomb raiders.

There's another story about the handful of Greeks who died trying to dig into the Republic of Macedonia near the border somewhere.

And there's the story that Stojakovo (near Gevgelija) is where the sarcophagus was buried (and the subsequent Crvenkovski story says that's where it was found). Stojakovo sits in the absolute geographical center of Macedonia.

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
          • Sep 2008

I am not 100%, but I recall reading a source that wrote even during the time of the Romans his coffin was available for view.

These stories about Crvenko and co. don't sound very reliable.
          In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• Venom
            • Sep 2008

Wasn't someone saying he was buried in Babylon just recently?
            S m r t - i l i - S l o b o d a

Comment

• TerraNova
              Banned
              • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Soldier of Macedon View Post
              I am not 100%, but I recall reading a source that wrote even during the time of the Romans his coffin was available for view.

These stories about Crvenko and co. don't sound very reliable.
              Let's have a ceasefire over Alexander's body..:P

Here are the sources which refer to Alexander's body and tomb.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"It was Ptolemy Philadelphus who [c. 280 BC] brought down from Memphis [to Alexandria] the corpse of Alexander." Pausanias, 2nd century AD

"Ptolemy Philopator built [in 215 BC] in the middle of the city of Alexandria a memorial building, which is now called the Sema, and he laid there all his forefathers together with his mother, and also Alexander the Macedonian."
              Zenobius, 2nd century AD

"About this time [30 BC] Octavian had the sarcophagus and body of Alexander the Great brought forth from its inner sanctum, and, after gazing on it, showed his respect by placing upon it a golden crown and strewing it with flowers; and being then asked whether he wished to see the tomb of the Ptolemies as well, he replied, 'My wish was to see a king, not corpses.'"
              Suetonius, 2nd century AD

"Octavian next viewed the body of Alexander, and even touched it in such a fashion that, so it is said, a piece of the nose was broken off. Yet he went not to see the corpses of the Ptolemies, despite the keen desire of the Alexandrians to show them to him, retorting, 'I wished to see a king not dead people.'"
              Dio Cassius, 3rd century AD

"[In Alexandria] Ptolemy prepared a sacred precinct worthy of the glory of Alexander in size and construction; entombing him in this and honouring him with sacrifices such as are paid to demigods and with magnificent games."
              Diodorus, eyewitness c. 50 BC

"The Soma also, as it is called, is a part of the royal district. This was the walled enclosure, which contained the burial-places of the kings and that of Alexander."
              Strabo, eyewitness c. 25 BC

"Caligula frequently [c. AD 40] wore the dress of a triumphing general, even before his campaign, and sometimes the breast-plate of Alexander the Great, which he had taken from his sarcophagus."
              Suetonius, 2nd century AD

[AD 200]: "Severus inquired into everything, including things that were very carefully hidden; for he was the kind of person to leave nothing, either human or divine, uninvestigated. Accordingly, he took away from practically all the sanctuaries all the books that he could find containing any secret lore, and he sealed up the tomb of Alexander; this was in order that no one in future should either view his body or read what was mentioned in the aforesaid books."
              Dio Cassius, 3rd century AD

"As soon as Caracalla entered the city [in AD 215] with his whole army he went up to the temple, where he made a large number of sacrifices and laid quantities of incense on the altars. Then he went to the tomb of Alexander where he took off and laid upon the grave the purple cloak he was wearing and the rings of precious stones and his belts and anything else of value he was carrying."
              Herodian, 3rd century AD

"After he had inspected the body of Alexander of Macedon, Caracalla ordered that he himself should be called 'Great' and 'Alexander', for he was led on by the lies of his flatterers to the point where, adopting the ferocious brow and neck tilted towards the left shoulder that he had noted in Alexander's countenance, he persuaded himself that his features were truly very similar."
              Anonymous, 4th century AD

"After a voyage lasting three days we arrived at Alexandria. I entered by the Sun Gate, as it is called, and was instantly struck by the splendid beauty of the city, which filled my eyes with delight. From the Sun Gate to the Moon Gate – these are the guardian divinities of the entrances – led a straight double row of columns, about the middle of which lies the open part of the town, and in it so many streets that walking in them you would fancy yourself abroad while still at home. Going a few stades further [1 stade = 165m], I came to the place called after Alexander, where I saw a second town; the splendour of this was cut into squares, for there was a row of columns intersected by another as long at right angles."
              Achilles Tatius, circa 3rd century AD

"Who could be the friend of such as these? When they behave like this for money's sake, would they keep their hands off temple offerings or tombs? If they were travelling with some companion who had a gold piece, would they not kill him and rob him of it, if they had the chance. And this evil, King, is universal, whether you mention Paltus or Alexandria where the corpse of Alexander is displayed, whether Balaneae or our own city of Antioch. They may differ in size, but the same ailment afflicts them all."
              Libanius, c. AD 390

"For, tell me, where is the tomb of Alexander? Show it me and tell me the day on which he died... his tomb even his own people know not."
              John Chrysostom, c. AD 400

-----------------------------------

I ve seen in a couple of Byzantine monasteries a certain fresco depicting a saint "Sisois" over the skeleton of Alexander.
              The inscription stated that this was in Babylon.
              But i think "Babylon" was called by Byzantine archaists Cairo in Egypt.
              Last edited by TerraNova; 01-15-2009, 07:53 AM.

Comment

• TerraNova
                Banned
                • Nov 2008

I found one of these fresco's -It's in one of Meteora monasteries.

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                  • Sep 2008

TerraNova, is that the Meteora in southern Macedonia?

Can you translate the writing in the fresco?

Comment

• TerraNova
                    Banned
                    • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Soldier of Macedon View Post
                    TerraNova, is that the Meteora in southern Macedonia?

Can you translate the writing in the fresco?
                    Meteora is in Thessaly-Trikala district.

I ll try to translate it...but you don't have to comment this... let's don't ruin the ceasefire...

"Sisoes, the great ascetic, before the tomb of Alexander, King of
                    the Greeks, who was once covered in glory. Astonished, he mourns
                    for the vicissitudes of time and the transience of glory, and
                    tearfully declaims thus:
                    The mere sight of you, tomb, dismays me
                    and causes my heart to shed tears,
                    as I contemplate the debt we, all men, owe.
                    How can I possibly stand it?
                    Oh, death! Who can evade you?"

Comment

• Venom
                      • Sep 2008

Of coruse he was the king of greeks -- I mean, after kicking your ass so badly he became your king

If any greek knew where the tomb of Alexander was it would have been whitewashed, replaced with greek writing and put on display for the world to see by now.
                      S m r t - i l i - S l o b o d a

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                        • Sep 2008

Originally posted by TerraNova View Post
                        Meteora is in Thessaly-Trikala district.

I ll try to translate it...but you don't have to comment this... let's don't ruin the ceasefire...

"Sisoes, the great ascetic, before the tomb of Alexander, King of
                        the Greeks, who was once covered in glory. Astonished, he mourns
                        for the vicissitudes of time and the transience of glory, and
                        tearfully declaims thus:
                        The mere sight of you, tomb, dismays me
                        and causes my heart to shed tears,
                        as I contemplate the debt we, all men, owe.
                        How can I possibly stand it?
                        Oh, death! Who can evade you?"
                        What year is the fresco from?

Comment

• Daskalot
                          • Sep 2008

Originally posted by TerraNova View Post
                          I found one of these fresco's -It's in one of Meteora monasteries.

Nice fresco, but you have to remember that the Greek government repainted every Fresco and Icon containing writing in the Old Church Slavonic form of Macedonian, so we can not know if this Fresco is original or not, do you have a high resolution version of the picture so we can take a closer look at it?

I do read "Thanatos" down to the left, it means "dead/death" but I cannot read out were it should state "Alexander".... can you TerraNova??
                          Macedonian Truth Organisation

Comment

• TerraNova
                            Banned
                            • Nov 2008

Judging by the style ,it must be 16th or early 17th century.
                            Last edited by TerraNova; 01-15-2009, 05:35 PM.

Comment

• TerraNova
                              Banned
                              • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Daskalot View Post
                              Nice fresco, but you have to remember that the Greek government repainted every Fresco and Icon containing writing in the Old Church Slavonic form of Macedonian, so we can not know if this Fresco is original or not, do you have a high resolution version of the picture so we can take a closer look at it?

I do read "Thanatos" down to the left, it means "dead/death" but I cannot read out were it should state "Alexander".... can you TerraNova??
                              Daskalot...this is Meteora in Thessaly....
                              I suppose this may happened in Florina region...not everywhere! (like Thessaly,South Macedonia and Crete!)
                              I ve also seen repainted from Greek to Slavonic frescoes and icons in Bitola region.

This i point u

Red=ΕΛΛΗΝων=of the GREEKS
                              White=ΑΛεΞΑΝΔΡΟΥ=ALEXANDER's

In fact didn't really bring it for that...! It was Som who asked abt the inscription.
                              I haven't noticed it till then-but it's a really extra ordinary Byzantine fresco.
                              Last edited by TerraNova; 01-15-2009, 05:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X