X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Vangelovski
    • Sep 2008

Australian Nanny State

I'm neither a smoker or a gambler, but I'm disgusted by the Labor/Green Government's gradual creation of a 'nanny state'. Its latest Bills include plain packaging for tobacco products and pre-commitment for pokie machines. Although I wouldn't personally take up smoking or gambling, I don't think we need retarded politicians telling us what we can and can't do.

I'm wondering how actual smokers and those that play pokies feel about these Bills...?
    If my people who are called by my name will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sins and restore their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14

The Revolution was in the minds and hearts of the people; a change in their religious sentiments, of their duties and obligations...This radical change in the principles, opinions, sentiments, and affections of the people was the real American Revolution. John Adams
  • Risto the Great
    • Sep 2008

Well, I think successive governments created the pokie problem. Something needs to be done about this problem.
    I don't smoke but I think the plain packaging of cigarettes is ridiculous.
    I rate the carbon tax as the ultimate slap in the face.
    Risto the Great
    MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
    "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• blackcactus
      • Sep 2008

When I hear someone use the emotive term 'nanny state', I instantly think it's because they don't give a shite about others

Rationally it's better to look at each piece of legislation on it's own, and debate the merits of each separately
      The one who tells the story rules the World - Hopi proverb

“Your highness, when I said that you are like a stream of bat's piss, I only meant that you shine out like a shaft of gold when all around is dark” - Monty Python

Comment

• Vangelovski
        • Sep 2008

Originally posted by blackcactus View Post
        When I hear someone use the emotive term 'nanny state', I instantly think it's because they don't give a shite about others

Rationally it's better to look at each piece of legislation on it's own, and debate the merits of each separately
        'Nanny state' isn't an emotive term. Its a political term that denotes paternalism - i.e., a handful of political elites that think they can determine how private citizens live their lives.

How does "caring about others" translate into telling them what to do or making choices for them?
        If my people who are called by my name will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sins and restore their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14

The Revolution was in the minds and hearts of the people; a change in their religious sentiments, of their duties and obligations...This radical change in the principles, opinions, sentiments, and affections of the people was the real American Revolution. John Adams

Comment

• Vangelovski
          • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Risto the Great View Post
          Well, I think successive governments created the pokie problem. Something needs to be done about this problem.
          I don't smoke but I think the plain packaging of cigarettes is ridiculous.
          I rate the carbon tax as the ultimate slap in the face.
          I understand that gambling is a problem, but ultimately, who has the right to tell you what to do with your money?

Comment

• Risto the Great
            • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Vangelovski View Post
            I understand that gambling is a problem, but ultimately, who has the right to tell you what to do with your money?
            I accept this. But the government is a major participant in this industry and will have to accept a portion of blame. Pubs were dying in South Australia prior to the introduction of pokies. Everything has changed since then and the community suffers as a consequence. There prevalence (certainly in South Australia) is quite unnatural.

If we compare the cigarettes with the pokies, I would say the nanny state issue might present itself when the pokie machines are not allowed to make noise, have no pictures on them (other than photos of destitute families begging on the streets) and have win ratios plastered all over them.

Either way, smoking is bad and gambling is bad. It comes down to personal choice, but there are social consequences that extend beyond the idiot exercising their right to kill themselves slowly.

Prostitution is still illegal here in SA. Some of the things I do in my business might technically fall into that category.
            Risto the Great
            MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
            "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• Vangelovski
              • Sep 2008

RtG,

Of course there are social consquences that extend beyond the idiot that gambles for example. But on what authority does the state have a right to intervene and where does it end? I think there are many more appropriate societal actors that should work towards education rather than direct state intervention in an area that they have no authority to deal with and which essentially is a violation of natural law.

There's much wider implications on state intervention, particularly in relation to the Macedonian cause.

Comment

• makedonche
                • Oct 2008

I see it as an infringement on my right to choose, much like ploiticians telling me I must go to a referrendum to determine whether they can change what I call myself, when I've already decided!
                On Delchev's sarcophagus you can read the following inscription: "We swear the future generations to bury these sacred bones in the capital of Independent Macedonia. August 1923 Illinden"

Comment

• Vangelovski
                  • Sep 2008

Originally posted by makedonche View Post
                  I see it as an infringement on my right to choose, much like ploiticians telling me I must go to a referrendum to determine whether they can change what I call myself, when I've already decided!
                  Basically the same thing!

Comment

• EgejskaMakedonia
                    • Jan 2010

RtG,

Of course there are social consquences that extend beyond the idiot that gambles for example. But on what authority does the state have a right to intervene and where does it end? I think there are many more appropriate societal actors that should work towards education rather than direct state intervention in an area that they have no authority to deal with and which essentially is a violation of natural law.

There's much wider implications on state intervention, particularly in relation to the Macedonian cause.
                    Although I generally agree with your contention, there are different ways one could view such an issue.
                    The comparison that immediately comes to mind is illegal drugs. There is no doubt that legislation on drugs is necessary. The detrimental effects of drugs on the individual and society deem it absolutely vital for restrictions to be put in place, regardless of where an individual may want to spend their money.
                    In some ways, gambling and smoking can have similar repercussions. In some circumstances, this can cause an internal decline of the individual, as well as influencing external factors such as family, friends, etc.

I don't think it's necessarily right for the government to determine where the public can spend their money, but I'm sure some potential 'addicts' would be thankful down the road. Easy access to such things will only feed their addiction.

But there is no doubt that Victoria, in particular, has become a 'nanny state.' Some laws are beyond ridiculous, which seek to threaten the democratic values of our nation, that being, to have the freedom to do what you want, when you want, and where you want. The Victorian Government is increasingly edging their way more and more into the 'private' lives of the people.
                    Last edited by EgejskaMakedonia; 08-01-2011, 01:26 AM.

Comment

• Vangelovski
                      • Sep 2008

Originally posted by EgejskaMakedonia View Post
                      Although I generally agree with your contention, there are different ways one could view such an issue.
                      The comparison that immediately comes to mind is illegal drugs. There is no doubt that legislation on drugs is necessary. The detrimental effects of drugs on the individual and society deem it absolutely vital for restrictions to be put in place, regardless of where an individual may want to spend their money.
                      In some ways, gambling and smoking can have similar repercussions. In some circumstances, this can cause an internal decline of the individual, as well as influencing external factors such as family, friends, etc.

I don't think it's necessarily right for the government to determine where the public can spend their money, but I'm sure some potential 'addicts' would be thankful down the road. Easy access to such things will only feed their addiction.

But there is no doubt that Victoria, in particular, has become a 'nanny state.' Some laws are beyond ridiculous, which seek to threaten the democratic values of our nation, that being, to have the freedom to do what you want, when you want, and where you want. The Victorian Government is increasingly edging their way more and more into the 'private' lives of the people.
                      I wouldn't have anything against a government attempting to educate people with the facts surrounding various issues (actual facts not emotionally driven propaganda), but to actually make laws that make the choice for individuals is a crime in itself.

Comment

• Vangelovski
                        • Sep 2008

The Preventative Health Taskforce released its report on 1 September 2009. With 122 recommendations, it provides a blueprint for the Nanny State in Australia.

New laws

1. Food and beverages classification
                        2. Junk food if self-regulation fails
                        3. Raise price of tobacco
                        4. Tobacco promotion ban
                        5. Tobacco out of sight in retail outlets
                        6. Plain packaging on cigarette packages
                        7. Ban smoking in public places "where children are likely to be exposed"
                        8. Ban smoking in cars
                        9. Second-hand smoke in workplaces, incl. outdoors
                        10. Second-hand smoke outside, "where people gather or move in close proximity"
                        11. Increase size of pack warnings
                        12. Tobacco brand names
                        13. further protections against sales to minors
                        14. Second-hand smoke outside, "where people gather or move in close proximity"
                        15. Ban vending machines sales, the internet, and at hospitality & other social venues
                        16. Nationally consistent liquor outlet opening times and density
                        17. Nationally consistent accreditation requirements for liquor licences
                        18. Nationally consistent late night outlet laws
                        19. Nationally consistent alcohol serving and training
                        20. Alcohol promotion regulation if voluntary regulation inadequate
                        21. Alcohol advertising during live sport broadcasts
                        22. Alcohol advertising during high adolescent/child viewing
                        23. Alcohol sponsorship of sport and cultural events
                        24. Alcohol promotion regulation
                        25. Alcohol availability restrictions, indigenous communities
                        26. Liquor licence hours restrictions in indigenous communities

New Programs and Frameworks

27. National Framework for Active Living
                        28. National Food and Nutrition Framework
                        29. National program to support Health and Physical Education in National Curriculum
                        30. Expand after-school health programs
                        31. Healthy and Active Families initiative
                        32. National Healthy Community Leadership and Education Program
                        33. Social Marketing Strategy
                        34. Multi-component community-based obesity programs in low SES communities
                        35. Multi-component community-based obesity programs in indigenous communities
                        36. National workplace health leadership program, and best practice guidelines
                        37. National accord for workplace programs and risk assessment
                        38. National program to alert pregnant and pre-pregnant women of dangers of excessive weight
                        39. National strategy to combat illicit tobacco trade
                        40. Multi-component community-based tobacco control projects
                        41. Develop further Framework Convention on Tobacco Control
                        42. Alcohol Diversion Programs, indigenous communities
                        43. Network of Alcohol-related programs
                        44. National Strategic Framework for preventative health research

New bureaucracies

45. Prime Ministers Council for Active Living
                        46. Healthy Food Compact
                        47. Regulatory body for required disclosure to government, communication to consumers and emissions
                        48. National Tobacco Strategy Steering Committee
                        49. National Prevention Agency
                        50. Preventative health strategic research fund
                        51. National preventative health research register

Recommendations

52. Research Program to inform National active living framework on economic issues
                        53. Commission review of economic policies and tax systems towards encouraging healthier food consumption
                        54. Work with industry towards food labelling
                        55. Voluntary industry scorecard
                        56. Nationally agreed accreditation standards for food labelling
                        57. Research: program to strengthen evidence of effective workplace health promotion
                        58. Research: legislative changes to encourage workplace health programs
                        59. Research: feasibility of grants and tax incentives for employees to encourage achievement of benchmarks
                        60. Health and PE in National Curriculum
                        61. Establish system to monitor policy of minimum 2 hours physical activity per week from K-10.
                        62. Research: How teachers promote health
                        63. Community Intervention Trials
                        64. Local Government Partnerships to encourage local councils to adopt health guidelines
                        65. Research: into effectiveness of the self-regulation of junk food
                        66. Expand allied health workforce
                        67. Clinical guidelines for allied health workforce
                        68. Carry out National Risk Factor Survey in 2010
                        69. National Children's Nutrition and Physical Activity Survey in 2012
                        70. Research: national research agenda for obesity
                        71. Research: ongoing research into obesity into indigenous communities
                        72. International agreements to combat illicit tobacco trade
                        73. Social marketing campaigns against tobacco use
                        74. Research into warning label effectiveness
                        75. Tobacco retailers licensing regime
                        76. Research: possibility of legal action by government and others against tobacco companies
                        77. All health services smoke-free, incl. Grounds
                        78. Patients quizzed about smoking status routinely
                        79. More money for: extra Quitline resources
                        80. Nicotine replacement therapy more affordable
                        81. Social marketing campaigns for indigenous smokers
                        82. Training in smoking cessation advice for indigenous health workers
                        83. Tobacco Control Workers in indigenous communities
                        84. Promotion to health professionals for Quitline
                        85. Poster advertising in disadvantaged communities
                        86. Increase efforts for anti-smoking for people with mental illness
                        87. Prisons and state-funded human services agencies smoke-free
                        88. Target parents to convey message to children to not smoke
                        89. Make smoking classifiable in movies
                        90. Constant alerts to public about dangers, and about new research findings
                        91. Tobacco surveillance system to assess whether anti-smoking targets are being met
                        92. Increase resources to develop and implement best practice for laws and regulations related to alcohol
                        93. Develop business case for COAG nation partnership on policing and enforcement
                        94. More money for: Drink-driving monitoring
                        95. More money for: Licence enforcement
                        96. More money for: Annual review of licences
                        97. Demerit points for licences
                        98. More money for: monitoring liquor laws
                        99. Social marketing strategy
                        100. Campaign to "build a national consensus on healthy alcohol consumption"
                        101. Campaign for awareness of alcohol guidelines
                        102. Campaign to de-normalise intoxication
                        103. Campaign to raise awareness of consequences of alcohol
                        104. Research: effectiveness of voluntary approach to alcohol promotion regulation
                        105. Research: alcohol modelling
                        106. Advocate: alcohol floor price
                        107. More money for: alcohol campaigns
                        108. More money for: healthcare providers, indigenous communities
                        109. More money for: staff training, indigenous communities
                        110. More money for: treatment programs, indigenous communities
                        111. More money for: coordinated case management, indigenous communities
                        112. More money for: responsible serving of alcohol provision
                        113. Community groups of indigenous to promote alcohol responsibility
                        114. Research: alcohol consumption, indigenous communities
                        115. More money for: health care for alcohol problems
                        116. More money for: health care for alcohol problems, disadvantaged groups
                        117. Nationally consistent principles regarding alcohol to minors without parental consent
                        118. Promotion of early drinking age discussion
                        119. Community support for parents and alcohol
                        120. Research: Alcohol use in families and with children
                        121. Research: nationally consistent collection and management of alcohol wholesale sales data
                        122. Research: National indicators on alcohol consumption

Comment

• Volk
                          • Sep 2008

The Preventative Health Taskforce released its report on 1 September 2009. With 122 recommendations, it provides a blueprint for the Nanny State in Australia.

New laws

1. Food and beverages classification
                          2. Junk food if self-regulation fails
                          3. Raise price of tobacco
                          4. Tobacco promotion ban
                          5. Tobacco out of sight in retail outlets
                          6. Plain packaging on cigarette packages
                          7. Ban smoking in public places "where children are likely to be exposed"
                          8. Ban smoking in cars
                          9. Second-hand smoke in workplaces, incl. outdoors
                          10. Second-hand smoke outside, "where people gather or move in close proximity"
                          11. Increase size of pack warnings
                          12. Tobacco brand names
                          13. further protections against sales to minors
                          14. Second-hand smoke outside, "where people gather or move in close proximity"
                          15. Ban vending machines sales, the internet, and at hospitality & other social venues
                          16. Nationally consistent liquor outlet opening times and density
                          17. Nationally consistent accreditation requirements for liquor licences
                          18. Nationally consistent late night outlet laws
                          19. Nationally consistent alcohol serving and training
                          20. Alcohol promotion regulation if voluntary regulation inadequate
                          21. Alcohol advertising during live sport broadcasts
                          22. Alcohol advertising during high adolescent/child viewing
                          23. Alcohol sponsorship of sport and cultural events
                          24. Alcohol promotion regulation
                          25. Alcohol availability restrictions, indigenous communities
                          26. Liquor licence hours restrictions in indigenous communities

New Programs and Frameworks

27. National Framework for Active Living
                          28. National Food and Nutrition Framework
                          29. National program to support Health and Physical Education in National Curriculum
                          30. Expand after-school health programs
                          31. Healthy and Active Families initiative
                          32. National Healthy Community Leadership and Education Program
                          33. Social Marketing Strategy
                          34. Multi-component community-based obesity programs in low SES communities
                          35. Multi-component community-based obesity programs in indigenous communities
                          36. National workplace health leadership program, and best practice guidelines
                          37. National accord for workplace programs and risk assessment
                          38. National program to alert pregnant and pre-pregnant women of dangers of excessive weight
                          39. National strategy to combat illicit tobacco trade
                          40. Multi-component community-based tobacco control projects
                          41. Develop further Framework Convention on Tobacco Control
                          42. Alcohol Diversion Programs, indigenous communities
                          43. Network of Alcohol-related programs
                          44. National Strategic Framework for preventative health research

New bureaucracies

45. Prime Ministers Council for Active Living
                          46. Healthy Food Compact
                          47. Regulatory body for required disclosure to government, communication to consumers and emissions
                          48. National Tobacco Strategy Steering Committee
                          49. National Prevention Agency
                          50. Preventative health strategic research fund
                          51. National preventative health research register

Recommendations

52. Research Program to inform National active living framework on economic issues
                          53. Commission review of economic policies and tax systems towards encouraging healthier food consumption
                          54. Work with industry towards food labelling
                          55. Voluntary industry scorecard
                          56. Nationally agreed accreditation standards for food labelling
                          57. Research: program to strengthen evidence of effective workplace health promotion
                          58. Research: legislative changes to encourage workplace health programs
                          59. Research: feasibility of grants and tax incentives for employees to encourage achievement of benchmarks
                          60. Health and PE in National Curriculum
                          61. Establish system to monitor policy of minimum 2 hours physical activity per week from K-10.
                          62. Research: How teachers promote health
                          63. Community Intervention Trials
                          64. Local Government Partnerships to encourage local councils to adopt health guidelines
                          65. Research: into effectiveness of the self-regulation of junk food
                          66. Expand allied health workforce
                          67. Clinical guidelines for allied health workforce
                          68. Carry out National Risk Factor Survey in 2010
                          69. National Children's Nutrition and Physical Activity Survey in 2012
                          70. Research: national research agenda for obesity
                          71. Research: ongoing research into obesity into indigenous communities
                          72. International agreements to combat illicit tobacco trade
                          73. Social marketing campaigns against tobacco use
                          74. Research into warning label effectiveness
                          75. Tobacco retailers licensing regime
                          76. Research: possibility of legal action by government and others against tobacco companies
                          77. All health services smoke-free, incl. Grounds
                          78. Patients quizzed about smoking status routinely
                          79. More money for: extra Quitline resources
                          80. Nicotine replacement therapy more affordable
                          81. Social marketing campaigns for indigenous smokers
                          82. Training in smoking cessation advice for indigenous health workers
                          83. Tobacco Control Workers in indigenous communities
                          84. Promotion to health professionals for Quitline
                          85. Poster advertising in disadvantaged communities
                          86. Increase efforts for anti-smoking for people with mental illness
                          87. Prisons and state-funded human services agencies smoke-free
                          88. Target parents to convey message to children to not smoke
                          89. Make smoking classifiable in movies
                          90. Constant alerts to public about dangers, and about new research findings
                          91. Tobacco surveillance system to assess whether anti-smoking targets are being met
                          92. Increase resources to develop and implement best practice for laws and regulations related to alcohol
                          93. Develop business case for COAG nation partnership on policing and enforcement
                          94. More money for: Drink-driving monitoring
                          95. More money for: Licence enforcement
                          96. More money for: Annual review of licences
                          97. Demerit points for licences
                          98. More money for: monitoring liquor laws
                          99. Social marketing strategy
                          100. Campaign to "build a national consensus on healthy alcohol consumption"
                          101. Campaign for awareness of alcohol guidelines
                          102. Campaign to de-normalise intoxication
                          103. Campaign to raise awareness of consequences of alcohol
                          104. Research: effectiveness of voluntary approach to alcohol promotion regulation
                          105. Research: alcohol modelling
                          106. Advocate: alcohol floor price
                          107. More money for: alcohol campaigns
                          108. More money for: healthcare providers, indigenous communities
                          109. More money for: staff training, indigenous communities
                          110. More money for: treatment programs, indigenous communities
                          111. More money for: coordinated case management, indigenous communities
                          112. More money for: responsible serving of alcohol provision
                          113. Community groups of indigenous to promote alcohol responsibility
                          114. Research: alcohol consumption, indigenous communities
                          115. More money for: health care for alcohol problems
                          116. More money for: health care for alcohol problems, disadvantaged groups
                          117. Nationally consistent principles regarding alcohol to minors without parental consent
                          118. Promotion of early drinking age discussion
                          119. Community support for parents and alcohol
                          120. Research: Alcohol use in families and with children
                          121. Research: nationally consistent collection and management of alcohol wholesale sales data
                          122. Research: National indicators on alcohol consumption

http://preventativehealth.org.au/int...h-strategy-1lp
                          Exactly which points dont you agree with?
                          Makedonija vo Srce

Comment

• Vangelovski
                            • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Volk View Post
                            Exactly which points dont you agree with?
                            Nearly all of them. Now go and do whatever it is someone is telling you to do.

Comment

• Volk
                              • Sep 2008

Nearly all of them. Now go and do whatever it is someone is telling you to do.
                              There are plenty of examples of whats wrong with society, including programs for mass control.

What you have outlined is a social strategy to reduce smoking and alcohol abuse....

Great work hero..
                              Makedonija vo Srce

Comment

Working...
                              X