Macedonian Truth Forum   

Go Back   Macedonian Truth Forum > Macedonian Truth Forum > General Discussions

Old 02-11-2019, 06:10 AM   #1
YuriB

YuriB is on a distinguished road
Default How to improve the life of Macedonians in Aegean Macedonia?

As I still hold a Greek citizenship, I feel responsible of Macedonians living in Greece. Also known as Ntopioi (locals) Aegean Macedonians have been and still are mistreated by the Greek state and people.. Many of them (some in this forum) left (or were expelled by) Greece in a very bitter way..

The question is what could be realistically done to help them. I'd want them to be able to speak their language and practice their customs freely and in harmony with the rest!

I believe education through direct exposure to the Macedonian people and culture might be the best option. It's easy to demonize something distant and abstract. Maybe, if a Greek person had a Macedonian friend, they would be ashamed calling them you-know-what.

If a critical mass of Greeks were exposed to Macedonians, it could trigger a shift. Right now unfortunately, the vast majority of Greeks have a knee-jerk reaction on anything Macedonian. Even worse, they tend to think all of this is an insidious plot to seize land..

Personally, I prefer tolerant and multicultural societies and that was one of the reasons I emmigrated. I am afraid others like me are also leaving so; guess who is staying..

Anyways, what do you think? Does the name deal change anything since Greece finally accepted the existence of the Macedonian language? Any ideas from Aegean Macedonians following the forum?

Last edited by YuriB; 02-11-2019 at 06:38 AM. Reason: Thanks SoM for fixing the title!
YuriB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 07:18 AM   #2
Phoenix

Phoenix has much to be proud ofPhoenix has much to be proud ofPhoenix has much to be proud ofPhoenix has much to be proud ofPhoenix has much to be proud ofPhoenix has much to be proud ofPhoenix has much to be proud ofPhoenix has much to be proud ofPhoenix has much to be proud of

YuriB, did you know any Macedonian's when you lived in that racist shithole...?
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 07:31 AM   #3
YuriB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
YuriB, did you know any Macedonian's when you lived in that racist shithole...?
Yes, I had a Macedonian friend in the army---Greeks do mandatory national service. We both served in Evros close to the border with Turkey near Edirne (old Andrianople). He taught me a few words in makedonika and had told me his grandma only spoke Macedonian. I also made friends from the Muslim minority (one Pomak and one Turk) during my service. Apart from the endless hours of boredom, it was actually useful to be exposed to people I wouldn't otherwise run into coming from southern Greece.
Old 02-11-2019, 07:40 AM   #4
Phoenix

Phoenix has much to be proud ofPhoenix has much to be proud ofPhoenix has much to be proud ofPhoenix has much to be proud ofPhoenix has much to be proud ofPhoenix has much to be proud ofPhoenix has much to be proud ofPhoenix has much to be proud ofPhoenix has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuriB View Post
Yes, I had a Macedonian friend in the army---Greeks do mandatory national service. We both served in Evros close to the border with Turkey near Edirne (old Andrianople). He taught me a few words in makedonika and had told me his grandma only spoke Macedonian. I also made friends from the Muslim minority (one Pomak and one Turk) during my service. Apart from the endless hours of boredom, it was actually useful to be exposed to people I wouldn't otherwise run into coming from southern Greece.
I'm surprised that you have only ever met 1 Macedonian, I Pomak and 1 Turk in your life...that seems really odd, did you live on a deserted island all your life until national service...?
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 08:04 AM   #5
YuriB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
I'm surprised that you have only ever met 1 Macedonian, I Pomak and 1 Turk in your life...that seems really odd, did you live on a deserted island all your life until national service...?
Haha! Athens actually!

I saw more people from the Muslim minority when I visited Xanthi and Komotini. These places are kind of 50/50 I think. There are numerous mosques, some ladies wear headscarves, they sing the Muslim call for prayer, etc.

Regarding Macedonians, they lack the protection the Muslim minority receives so maybe no one else ever decided to open up to me. Also, keep in mind that my friend's Greek was perfect, I couldn't detect any accent or anything, which again makes it harder. So Macedonians are neither visibly nor audibly different.

If you live in South Greece, it's not that hard to not run into any other ethnicities apart from Albanian immigrants. I'd say there are many!
YuriB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 08:29 AM   #6
Liberator of Makedonija

Liberator of Makedonija is on a distinguished road

Not much we can do when the state in question refuses to recognise anything other than a "small minority of proud Greeks of Islamic oreintation"
Old 02-11-2019, 12:01 PM   #7
nushevski77

nushevski77 is on a distinguished road

I don't think anything will be done, it would have to start with pressure from the eu and nato since the republic of Macedonia doesn't do anything (if someone knows why please tell me, because I don't know). But I think 5 things need to be done;

1. let them speak macedonian freely without fear of repercussions (job loss from employer/won't get re hired)
2. Allow them to attend the macedonian orthodox church in northern greece without fear of repercussions as well stop sending the priest of that church to jail
3. teach macedonian language and history in schools
4. allow them to listen to their own music and dances
5. definitely an apology from the greek state and a reconciliation

about culture and direct exposure, i'm sure in there own homes they are immersed in it; its just about the taboo of being Macedonian in public. As well there are many Macedonians who have assimilated into greek society and have forgotten there Macedonian roots and thoroughly suport the greek state supposedly this is how my grandparents village has become and only the old people still know the language. Because of that I think the population of ethnic Macedonians is a lot higher then the amount of Macedonians who still want to be macedonian.

Last edited by nushevski77; 02-11-2019 at 03:09 PM.
nushevski77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 09:29 PM   #8
Big Bad Sven

Big Bad Sven is on a distinguished road

the republic of macedonia has not done much to help aegean macedonias, in fact it almost done nothing until Gruevski came to power.
Gruevski talked big for a while about taking legal action to help the aegean macedonians against Greece - but it was all talk (remember most macedonians are all talk, espicially in Northern Macedonia)

Today thanks to the Prespa agreement its illegal for Northern Macedonians to bring up aegean macedonians. They have 'turned a bline' eye to these poor bastards in hopes of getting into the EU in 20 years.

If aegean macedonians want help it will not be from Northern Macedonia
Big Bad Sven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 01:11 AM   #9
YuriB

@Nushevski777
I like the 5 points you proposed. However, how can they and other similar ideas be implemented/enforced?

@Big Bad Sven and @Nushevski777
I don't agree that it is the responsibility of the Republic of Macedonia to protect/assist Greek citizens. I think Greece is responsible (and fully accountable) for that. Additionally, something like that would create a disproportionate backlash against the very people to be protected. It would be perceived as an intervention and hijacked by the usual racist sects..

I think we need to win over the ethnic Greek population somehow. A critical mass of Greeks need to understand that they are oppressing their fellow citizens. The key, I still believe, is empathy.
Old 02-12-2019, 04:32 AM   #10
Karposh

Karposh is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuriB View Post
@Nushevski777
I like the 5 points you proposed. However, how can they and other similar ideas be implemented/enforced?

@Big Bad Sven and @Nushevski777
I don't agree that it is the responsibility of the Republic of Macedonia to protect/assist Greek citizens. I think Greece is responsible (and fully accountable) for that. Additionally, something like that would create a disproportionate backlash against the very people to be protected. It would be perceived as an intervention and hijacked by the usual racist sects..

I think we need to win over the ethnic Greek population somehow. A critical mass of Greeks need to understand that they are oppressing their fellow citizens. The key, I still believe, is empathy.

Are you sure you're a Greek Yuri? Excuse my French but this feels like a complete mind fuck listening to you, a Greek, sticking up for Macedonians the way you have done. I know you're the exception and not the norm but, just out of curiosity, are there others like you or would you acknowledge that you're pretty much a lone Greek voice of reason in the stubborn wilderness that is Greek fascism. Either way, thank you for the support if you're intentions are genuine here and not simply trolling.
Karposh is offline   Reply With Quote