X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Amphipolis
    Banned
    • Aug 2014

I have to share my first impressions on My-Heritage-DNA. It seems that in less than 48 hours I have passed to "the thrill is gone" phase.

1. The company doesn't provide locations of ancestors.
    2. It gave around 750 profiles of distant cousins.
    3. The cousins are characterized as "3rd to 5th" or "3rd to distant"
    4. We have a common DNA that ranges from 0,5% to 0,1%.
    5. There's an effort to rank them, not just based on this percentage but also with more criteria like length of common DNA parts and adds "low confidence" or "medium confidence" for some of them.
    6. I already contacted the first 10 and had three feedbacks. It is interesting but you realize you shouldn't expect a meaningful information as our common ancestor is 4 to 6 generations ago (in the best case).
    7. The cousins are mostly diaspora people in developed countries (the top ones USA 256, Germany 60, Great Britain 25 etc). Only 9 in Greece. You can think of any country, it's there. Greek and Serbian names are the most common as far as I understand.
    8. My first two matches are two Serbs. Now there's a helpful tool here. While they don't give you the exact ethnic make-up of each cousin directly, you can filtre them by DNA ethnicity. Thus I could find the two Serbs have 0% Greek in them which means they are related to my 9% of Balkan DNA. I had a feedback from the first one we can't find a link.
    9. I also had interesting exchanges with two women (in USA and New Zealand). One is partly Greek, the other was adopted and found a Greek biological connection.
    10. I don’t see me paying more money for access to family trees or whatever they’re offering.

That's all for now.

Comment

• Carlin
      • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Amphipolis View Post
      I have to share my first impressions on My-Heritage-DNA. It seems that in less than 48 hours I have passed to "the thrill is gone" phase.

1. The company doesn't provide locations of ancestors.
      2. It gave around 750 profiles of distant cousins.
      3. The cousins are characterized as "3rd to 5th" or "3rd to distant"
      4. We have a common DNA that ranges from 0,5% to 0,1%.
      5. There's an effort to rank them, not just based on this percentage but also with more criteria like length of common DNA parts and adds "low confidence" or "medium confidence" for some of them.
      6. I already contacted the first 10 and had three feedbacks. It is interesting but you realize you shouldn't expect a meaningful information as our common ancestor is 4 to 6 generations ago (in the best case).
      7. The cousins are mostly diaspora people in developed countries (the top ones USA 256, Germany 60, Great Britain 25 etc). Only 9 in Greece. You can think of any country, it's there. Greek and Serbian names are the most common as far as I understand.
      8. My first two matches are two Serbs. Now there's a helpful tool here. While they don't give you the exact ethnic make-up of each cousin directly, you can filtre them by DNA ethnicity. Thus I could find the two Serbs have 0% Greek in them which means they are related to my 9% of Balkan DNA. I had a feedback from the first one we can't find a link.
      9. I also had interesting exchanges with two women (in USA and New Zealand). One is partly Greek, the other was adopted and found a Greek biological connection.
      10. I don’t see me paying more money for access to family trees or whatever they’re offering.

That's all for now.
      Maybe some of these services will improve in the future. Based on what you described about myheritage it seems to be similar to ancestrydna (I guess). Most of the people I contacted on ancestrydna didn't even bother to reply to me - they're also in "the thrill is gone" phase it seems.

I suspect if you took the ancestrydna test you'd get close to 90% for "Greece and the Balkans" > "Greece, Turkey & Albania" Region. So, I'm not sure if the following statement I make is right or not -- but it seems that the ancestrydna methods/science of how they calculate and break down the ethnicity estimate may be more accurate right now than myheritage. (That's just my opinion.)

Comment

• maco2envy
        • Jan 2015

Maybe some of these services will improve in the future. Based on what you described about myheritage it seems to be similar to ancestrydna (I guess). Most of the people I contacted on ancestrydna didn't even bother to reply to me - they're also in "the thrill is gone" phase it seems.
        Yep, especially now that we have discovered that 'DNA story' is bs.

To Amphipolis:

You should also try to determine what your Y-DNA haplogroup is. Carlin and me are J2a (more info: https://www.eupedia.com/europe/Haplo...J2_Y-DNA.shtml), all you need to do is download your raw data files on upload them to another website. One way of doing this is described in the link below:

Unfortunately you cannot accurately determine what your overall Y-DNA haplotype is (such as if you are J2a1-M319) since these require other DNA tests.

You can also try Gedmatch which has lots of functions, but the most interesting (and controversial) is the Oracle-4 admixture. This compares you with people from other ethnic groups and it tells you which groups of people you share a large admixture with. Unfortunately there are many models for this which give varying results and I think most are outdated.

Comment

• tchaiku
          • Nov 2016

The DNA cousin matcher accuracy decreases the more steps you take back.
          For your close familiar cousins (mother, brother etc) it is nearly 100% accurate.
          Last edited by tchaiku; 10-25-2018, 04:20 PM.

Comment

• tchaiku
            • Nov 2016

Originally posted by maco2envy View Post

You can also try Gedmatch which has lots of functions, but the most interesting (and controversial) is the Oracle-4 admixture. This compares you with people from other ethnic groups and it tells you which groups of people you share a large admixture with. Unfortunately there are many models for this which give varying results and I think most are outdated.
            I think it gives results about; with whom you are mostly alike genetically. For e example a Pole is more similar to a Ukrainian than an Italian.

Comment

• maco2envy
              • Jan 2015

Originally posted by tchaiku View Post
              I think it gives results about; with whom you are mostly alike genetically. For e example a Pole is more similar to a Ukrainian than an Italian.
              There are 10+ ways of estimating this on gedmatch, but I haven't had time to inspect which model is the best and has the most data. I used all models and a reoccuring result is that out of all the main Balkan people (disincluding Croats, Slovenes, Turks and southern Greeks) I seem to have the weakest connection to Serbs.

Comment

• Amphipolis
                Banned
                • Aug 2014

Originally posted by maco2envy View Post
                Yep, especially now that we have discovered that 'DNA story' is bs.

To Amphipolis:

You should also try to determine what your Y-DNA haplogroup is. Carlin and me are J2a (more info: https://www.eupedia.com/europe/Haplo...J2_Y-DNA.shtml), all you need to do is download your raw data files on upload them to another website. One way of doing this is described in the link below:

Unfortunately you cannot accurately determine what your overall Y-DNA haplotype is (such as if you are J2a1-M319) since these require other DNA tests.

My-heritage-DNA doesn't provide that Y-DNA, not that I cared. It is meaningless as it refers to the full paternal line. So if you already have an ethnicity estimation for your 128 ancestors 7 generations ago, why would you want an unclear information about one of them?

I already downloaded my raw data and intend to use it everywhere possible.

Comment

• maco2envy
                  • Jan 2015

You can generally get your haplogroup accurately (not sure about your test), but subclades are generally an issue. Y-DNA haplogroups can still provide interesting information, even if it's based on your paternal lineage. It's not too far fetched to assume that a fair component of your ancestry may belong to that group. Although, given the diversity of haplogroups in the Balkans that may not be the case. What's more informative is if you have Y-DNA which is different to the surrounding populations, which can indicate many things. For example, the E haplogroup which is found predominantly in Kosovo indicates a founder effect in that region i.e that land was abandoned at some stage and it was settled by a small number of people. Having details about the specific subclade will be even more informative.

It's also pretty fun to see where your paternal ancestor was probably 10,000 years +. Haplogroup J2a has Anatolian origins while I2a, the most common haplogroup in the Balkans has pre-indo-european origins.

Comment

• Amphipolis
                    Banned
                    • Aug 2014

Anyone who used GEDmatch? There are many interesting (?) things, but not the type I can understand. Where is the ethnicity estimator?

Comment

• maco2envy
                      • Jan 2015

Originally posted by Amphipolis View Post
                      Anyone who used GEDmatch? There are many interesting (?) things, but not the type I can understand. Where is the ethnicity estimator?
                      Blogging about genealogy, family history, family trees, and all other things ancestry!

Just a disclaimer, most (if not all) models here and corresponding datasets are outdated. AncestryDNA and myheritage would be far more accurate. The only thing which interesting (imo) is the Oracle predictor and even that is pretty crappy. You can tell since there is lots of variation in predictions between models.

Comment

• Amphipolis
                        Banned
                        • Aug 2014

I'm interested in what is presented in post#161, i.e. distances of your DNA from various ethnic groups (if this is what it is).

It's possible that when your upload your DNA data, some features are instantly available, others are available after a few days (when your data come under some process).

For instance I used a tool that finds if your parents are related (they were found to be not related, as expected) and another tool that guesses the color of your eyes (in my case it failed miserably).

Comment

• Daniel the Great
                          • Nov 2009

Looks like people are using this thread to share their own ancestry tests. Here is one of mine i got recently from FTDNA (family tree dna):

And where i fit in the greater scheme of things:

I can't remember what program i used to give me the results for the last photo.

Comment

• Daniel the Great
                            • Nov 2009

Originally posted by tchaiku View Post
                            Gedmatch results are more accurate. This Cypriot gets 54% ''Greek'' however look at his gedmatch results.

Gedmatch.com Eurogenes K13 Results:
                            # Population (source) Distance
                            1 Cyprian 5.9
                            2 Lebanese_Muslim 9.67
                            3 Sephardic_Jewish 10.2
                            4 Algerian_Jewish 10.35
                            5 South_Italian 10.71
                            6 Tunisian_Jewish 10.73
                            7 Italian_Jewish 11.3
                            8 Syrian 11.5
                            9 Ashkenazi 11.55
                            10 Libyan_Jewish 11.66
                            11 East_Sicilian 11.69
                            12 Central_Greek 12.18
                            13 Samaritan 13.19
                            14 Lebanese_Christian 13.75
                            15 Turkish 14.12
                            16 Lebanese_Druze 14.52
                            17 Jordanian 15.08
                            18 Assyrian 15.64
                            19 Palestinian 15.78
                            20 Italian_Abruzzo 16.04
                            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpCOIDYmUCw
                            Cypriots are definitely Hellenised Levantines.

Comment

• Amphipolis
                              Banned
                              • Aug 2014

OK I'm very impressed with GedMatch. This is just one of the metrics (similar to the above post). They compare your DNA with various groups from different researches or combinations of groups. What you see is some sort of distance. The smaller it is, the closest you are to the average of this group, or to the combination of groups.

Least-squares method.

Using 1 population approximation:
                              1 Greek_Thessaloniki_ @ 3.758285
                              2 Greek_Peloponnesos_ @ 3.877388
                              3 Central_Greek_ @ 4.275097
                              4 Greek_Thessaly_ @ 4.574009
                              5 Albanian_Tirana_ @ 4.638484
                              6 Greek_Northwest_ @ 5.112007
                              7 Greek_ @ 5.976684
                              8 Kosovar_ @ 6.662736
                              9 Greek_Macedonia_ @ 6.893533
                              10 Greek_Athens_ @ 7.136241
                              11 Crimean_Tatar_Mountain_ @ 8.007426
                              12 Ashkenazi_ @ 8.078619
                              13 Romanian_Jew_ @ 9.606819
                              14 Italian_South_ @ 9.651499
                              15 Ashkenazi_Jew_ @ 9.677640
                              16 Greek_Phokaia_ @ 9.794045
                              17 Gagauz_ @ 9.823118
                              18 Sicilian_Siracusa_ @ 10.558270
                              19 Sicilian_West_ @ 10.925133
                              20 Romanian_ @ 11.307634

Using 2 populations approximation:
                              1 50% Greek_Smyrna_ +50% Montenegrian_ @ 2.738594

Using 3 populations approximation:
                              1 50% Greek_Smyrna_ +25% Greek_Thessaloniki_ +25% Slovenian_ @ 2.492074

Using 4 populations approximation:
                              ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++
                              1 Azov_Greek_ + Croat_ + Greek_Smyrna_ + Italian_Tuscan_ @ 2.360464
                              2 Azov_Greek_ + Greek_ + Italian_Tuscan_ + Macedonian_ @ 2.361611
                              3 Azov_Greek_ + Italian_Abruzzo_ + Italian_South_ + Serb_BH_ @ 2.370629
                              4 Azov_Greek_ + Greek_Thessaloniki_ + Italian_Abruzzo_ + Macedonian_ @ 2.391222
                              5 Azov_Greek_ + Bosnian_ + Greek_Islands_ + Italian_Tuscan_ @ 2.392226
                              6 Greek_Northwest_ + Greek_Smyrna_ + Italian_South_ + Serb_BH_ @ 2.398255
                              7 Azov_Greek_ + Greek_Athens_ + Italian_Tuscan_ + Macedonian_ @ 2.401561
                              8 Azov_Greek_ + Bosnian_ + Greek_Smyrna_ + Italian_Tuscan_ @ 2.402553
                              9 Azov_Greek_ + Greek_Smyrna_ + Italian_Tuscan_ + Serb_BH_ @ 2.409938
                              10 Azov_Greek_ + Bulgarian_ + Greek_ + Italian_Tuscan_ @ 2.417565
                              11 Azov_Greek_ + Gagauz_ + Greek_Thessaloniki_ + Italian_Tuscan_ @ 2.417650
                              12 Azov_Greek_ + Bulgarian_ + Greek_Thessaloniki_ + Italian_Abruzzo_ @ 2.418687
                              13 Azov_Greek_ + Croat_ + Italian_Abruzzo_ + Italian_South_ @ 2.421379
                              14 Azov_Greek_ + Gagauz_ + Greek_Peloponnesos_ + Italian_Tuscan_ @ 2.425971
                              15 Azov_Greek_ + Croat_ + Greek_Islands_ + Italian_Tuscan_ @ 2.428290
                              16 Bulgarian_ + Greek_Smyrna_ + Greek_Thessaloniki_ + Greek_Thessaloniki_ @ 2.430055
                              17 Azov_Greek_ + Italian_South_ + Italian_South_ + South_German_ @ 2.436528
                              18 Azov_Greek_ + Greek_Athens_ + Italian_South_ + South_German_ @ 2.438098
                              19 Bosnian_ + Greek_Smyrna_ + Greek_Smyrna_ + Kosovar_ @ 2.439914
                              20 Azov_Greek_ + Greek_Northwest_ + Greek_Peloponnesos_ + Kosovar_ @ 2.440535

===
                              Last edited by Amphipolis; 11-07-2018, 09:33 AM.

Comment

• Daniel the Great
                                • Nov 2009

Which specific calculator is that Amphipolis?

Comment

Working...
                                X