• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pelister
    • Sep 2008

Originally posted by TrueMacedonian View Post
    http://www.utexas.edu/cola/centers/l...ocsol-7-X.html

According to the Univeristy Of Texas' Todd B. Krause and Jonathan Slocum;

The Codex Assemanianus. This contains 158 folia collecting gospel passages read in the liturgy, followed by a calendar of Saints' days. The large proportion of Macedonian saints in the calendar leads one to assume a Macedonian provenance.
    This is a very very significant thing to say, because it shows that the Macedonians in terms of their culture, was incredibly rich; it created its own traditions so to speak "a Macedonian way of doing things" in art, in literature, in language and everything else (Greece was dead, and Europe was in the dark ages), but the Christian tradition among Macedonians was thriving. When I read stuff like this my thoughts turn immediately to references to the so called "Macedonian Christian Empire".

Comment

• TrueMacedonian
      • Jan 2009

Nexus what happened to the question you asked earlier? Have you removed it or was it removed for you?
      Slayer Of The Modern "greek" Myth!!!

Comment

• Nexus
        • Oct 2012

I saw the picture of Makedonin "Zhitie na St. Naum" and that answered my question (about the mention of Macedonia/Macedonians in OCS texts) , so i removed my previous post because i think that my question was unnecessary .
        Last edited by Nexus; 11-15-2012, 09:41 AM.

Comment

• Carlin
          • Dec 2011

Relexification in Creole and Non-Creole Languages, edited by Julia Horvath, Paul Wexler.

Pages 69-70:

- A similar case of lexical deficiency can be found in Old Church Slavic, the artificial liturgical unspoken language constructed in the 9th century with proto-Macedonian grammar and lexicon, and early enriched by Czech, Croatian, Slovene and Bulgarian lexical components. It was used in all Slavic Orthodox communities, where additional influences were acquired from the local Slavic languages, e.g. in Serbia, Russia, Ukraine. Old Church Slavic originally served as a calque medium for the translation of Greek Christian religious texts. Hence, much of its vocabulary (especially the complex morphemes) are loan translations of Greek patterns of discourse.

- In addition, the presence of synonyms from Slavic languages other than Macedonian or Bulgarian which do not ordinary appear in spoken Macedonian and Bulgarian are also a clue that Old Church Slavic is an artificially contrived, specifically relexification-based language (invented by Macedonians for use by the newly Christianizing Slavs in neighboring non-Macedonian territories), though not necessarily that all the earliest Old Church Slavic literary texts were Greek relexified to Macedonian. The unusual number of synonyms is also a sign of the artificiality of the language.

- Several decades ago awareness of creole languages forced linguists to reconsider the criteria for assigning languages to language families and the possibility that a language might be descended from more than one parent.

PS -

Page 10: "In chapter 4, it is suggested than Rumanian may not be a Romance language, i.e., a direct descendant of Vulgar Balkan Latin, but a Slavic, or possibly indigenous Balkan, language relexified to Romance vocabulary between the 7th and 12th centuries."
          Page 17: "Among both the Jews and Africans there were probably speakers of European languages prior to the migration abroad. In ancient Palestine, Greek was spoken widely by Jews, especially in urban centers.."
          Last edited by Carlin; 12-22-2012, 02:00 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X