Edinstveni Makedonski Zborovi - Unique Macedonian Words (postable)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • United MKD
    • Jul 2011

Cool thread, always interesting discussions when it comes to our words.

For watermelon I say 'karpus' which is Turk I'm sure, while the Macedonian reference is 'lubenica'. Another one is for a hand cloth I would say 'krpa' while for a towel I would say 'riza' or 'peshkir'. I'm not too sure about the word peshkir or where it derives from. I know many who say krpa for a towel and cloth as one.

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
      • Sep 2008

We say 'krpa' in my family for any sort of towel, and that is the only word I know to have been used by other Macedonians I have met, irrespective of where they hail from. The word 'peshkir' appears to be a Turkish loanword (maybe Persian originally?), and Albanians also use it. I have never heard of this word till now.
      In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• United MKD
        • Jul 2011

The word riza is from the Struga dialect from what I know many people in the area say it while peshkir I assume is a village word that has just stuck. I like to differentiate between a hand cloth and a towel anyway.

Comment

• George S.
          • Aug 2009

from the bitolsko area we say krpa,in ohridsko it's riza,lubenica in biyolsko,karpush ohridsko.
          pepon bitolsko,ohrid dince for rockmellon.When i heard the word for krpa was also riza i freaked out because i never expected more variations on words.There is ptcelli,shoes,ossi,
          bees,konduri,mistry bitolsko vledgki ohridsko.
          peskir i thought you are walking peski but obviously its another word for krpa.
          Last edited by George S.; 10-29-2011, 11:40 PM. Reason: ed
          "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
          GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
            • Sep 2008

In the Bitola dialect the pronounciation for 'watermelon' is generally lubeintsa, whereas lubenitsa is literary Macedonian.
            In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• ProMKD
              • Oct 2011

Originally posted by Soldier of Macedon View Post
              We say 'krpa' in my family for any sort of towel, and that is the only word I know to have been used by other Macedonians I have met, irrespective of where they hail from. The word 'peshkir' appears to be a Turkish loanword (maybe Persian originally?), and Albanians also use it. I have never heard of this word till now.
              SoM, almost 90% of the people in Skopje call a bath or beach towel "Peshkir" nowadays. I know that Bitola and other cities call them krpa often. In modern Skopje, krpa usually means kitchen towel, rag, or smaller than a bathing towel. Very interesting!
              www.everythingmacedonia.com
              Support tourism to Macedonia!

Comment

• Dejan
                • Sep 2008

I know the croats also use the word peshkir for towel, and only use krpa for hand towel
                You want Macedonia? Come and take it from my blood!

A prosperous, independent and free Macedonia for Macedonians will be the ultimate revenge to our enemies.

Comment

• Risto the Great
                  • Sep 2008

In the Bitola dialect the pronounciation for 'watermelon' is generally lubeintsa, whereas lubenitsa is literary Macedonian.
                  It is indeed literary Macedonian but it also is Lerinsko as well.
                  On the other hand Bitoltsi are actually Greeks and always get their words wrong.
                  Risto the Great
                  MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
                  "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                    • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Risto the Great View Post
                    It is indeed literary Macedonian but it also is Lerinsko as well.
                    Lerinsko is Bitolsko with an accent

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                      • Sep 2008

Originally posted by ProMKD View Post
                      SoM, almost 90% of the people in Skopje call a bath or beach towel "Peshkir" nowadays. I know that Bitola and other cities call them krpa often. In modern Skopje, krpa usually means kitchen towel, rag, or smaller than a bathing towel. Very interesting!
                      Thanks for the information ProMKD. The only time I differentiate is by adding the diminutive suffix 'che' to the word 'krpa', so 'krpche' for a smaller towel.

Comment

• makedonche
                        • Oct 2008

Lerinsko is Bitolsko with an accent
                        SoM
                        No...no,,,no,,,, we originated in Lerinsko and migrated to Bitolsko, that's why they have forgotten some of the words...strayed too far from home!
                        On Delchev's sarcophagus you can read the following inscription: "We swear the future generations to bury these sacred bones in the capital of Independent Macedonia. August 1923 Illinden"

Comment

• George S.
                          • Aug 2009

Does anyone know the word for bostan where did that originate?.which is the farming of watermelons,rockmelons.It sounds kind of turkish.
                          Last edited by George S.; 10-31-2011, 01:53 AM. Reason: ed
                          "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
                          GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• makedonche
                            • Oct 2008

Originally posted by George S. View Post
                            Does anyone know the word for bostan where did that originate?.which is the farming of watermelons,rockmelons.It sounds kind of turkish.
                            George
                            I'm pretty sure that's a Kotorski/Lerinsko word mate, Iv'e been using it all my life and so have my ancestors!
                            On Delchev's sarcophagus you can read the following inscription: "We swear the future generations to bury these sacred bones in the capital of Independent Macedonia. August 1923 Illinden"

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                              • Sep 2008

Originally posted by makedonche View Post
                              SoM
                              No...no,,,no,,,, we originated in Lerinsko and migrated to Bitolsko, that's why they have forgotten some of the words...strayed too far from home!
                              Lol, nah mate, the language was simply beautified in Bitola

Comment

• makedonche
                                • Oct 2008

Lol, nah mate, the language was simply beautified in Bitola
                                ..hahahah!!!...you can tell we're Maco's, genuine originals to the core!

Comment

Working...
                                X