• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Carlin
    • Dec 2011

Venezuela: nearly 2 million people have fled country since 2015, UN says

URL:

Nearly two million people have fled Venezuela’s economic and political crisis since 2015, according to the UN which called for a “non-political” response to an exodus that is straining regional resources.

“Some 5,000 people are now leaving Venezuela daily – the largest population movement in Latin America’s recent history,” UN refugee agency (UNHCR) chief Filippo Grandi told the organisation’s executive committee on Monday.

“A non-political and humanitarian approach is essential to help states receiving them in growing numbers,” he added.

UNHCR spokesman William Spindler told AFP that 1.9 million people had left the country since 2015, an increase on a previous count of 1.6 milion.

According to the UNHCR, 2.6 million Venezuelans are now living abroad.

Colombia, which has taken in more than a million Venezuelans, called last week for a regional response, saying the migrant crisis was costing it about 0.5% of GDP – around $1.5m.

Grandi applauded Latin American countries for keeping their borders open, but said the regional response needed more “coherence”. But the countries concerned also needed more support, he conceded.

Oil income-dependent Venezuela’s economic woes began in 2014 with the crash in the price of crude.

Venezuelan president Nicolás Maduro’s government has since been slapped with a range of sanctions over its crackdown on the opposition and civil society critics.
  • Carlin
    • Dec 2011

The US has warned Venezuela that any threats against American diplomats or opposition leader Juan Guaidó will be met with "a significant response".

URL:

Comment

• Gocka
      • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Carlin15 View Post
      The US has warned Venezuela that any threats against American diplomats or opposition leader Juan Guaidó will be met with "a significant response".

URL:

Shut the fuck up you monopoly man looking dolt. Take not of your own leaders's anti democratic tendencies first before criticizing others.

This is just bluster, trying to distract from the internal political mess in the USA and the fact that the walls are closing in on the Trump administration.

Comment

• Phoenix
        • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Gocka View Post
        Shut the fuck up you monopoly man looking dolt. Take not of your own leaders's anti democratic tendencies first before criticizing others.

This is just bluster, trying to distract from the internal political mess in the USA and the fact that the walls are closing in on the Trump administration.
        Sorry I don't agree...this is not bluster but the US spoiling for a fight.

The recent stop over (in Caracas) of (2) Russian strategic nuclear bombers (Tu 160's) in December 2018 has put the wind up the US...the US will now do everything in its power to force regime change...this orchestrated diplomatic move to isolate Maduro and install Guiado is just the first stage of the strategy...the threats from Bolton are merely the pretext for military intervention.

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
          • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Gocka View Post
          The walls have apparently been closing on Trump since day one and any day now it's all over, according to all of the left wing media in the U.S. Yet he's still there. That said, Bolton is a moron and I enjoyed watching Tucker Carlson challenge him some time ago.
          In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• Risto the Great
            • Sep 2008

I can't imagine Venezuela would be any worse with a regime change.
            Risto the Great
            MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
            "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• Carlin
              • Dec 2011

US hits 'corrupt' Venezuela oil firm PDVSA with sanctions

URL:
              The US places sanctions on PDVSA and urges the military to back a peaceful power transfer.

The US has imposed sanctions on Venezuela's state-owned oil firm PDVSA and urged the country's military to accept a peaceful transfer of power.

National Security Adviser John Bolton said President Nicolás Maduro and his allies could "no longer loot the assets of the Venezuelan people".

Efforts by the opposition to unseat Mr Maduro have increased in recent days.

The US and more than 20 countries have recognised opposition leader Juan Guaidó as interim president.

Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin said the proceeds of the purchase of Venezuelan oil would now be withheld from Mr Maduro's government, but the company could avoid sanctions by recognising Mr Guaidó.

Venezuela is heavily reliant on the US for its oil revenue - sending 41% of its oil exports there - while it remains in the top four crude oil suppliers to the US.

Mr Maduro later announced he had told PDVSA to launch "political and legal action, in US and international courts" to protect its US subsidiary Citgo.

In other developments:

- Mr Guaidó says he is ordering Venezuela's Congress to name new heads of the PDVSA and Citgo, as he aims to take control of the country's assets
              - The government has devalued its currency, the bolivar, by almost 35% to align it with the black market exchange rate

What is the US calling for?

Mr Bolton and Mr Mnuchin said the sanctions were intended to prevent Mr Maduro's government from taking funds from the state oil company.

"We have continued to expose the corruption of Maduro and his cronies and today's action ensures they can no longer loot the assets of the Venezuelan people," Mr Bolton said.

The US action blocks all PDVSA property and interests subject to US jurisdiction, and prohibits US citizens from engaging in transactions with them.

But Mr Mnuchin said US-based subsidiary Citgo could continue operations if its earnings were deposited in a blocked account in the US.

Mr Bolton also urged Venezuela's military to "accept the peaceful, democratic and constitutional transfer of power".

As Mr Bolton was announcing the sanctions at a Washington news conference, observers spotted a handwritten message on his notepad.

It read "5,000 troops to Colombia", though it is unclear what this means.

One observer suggested the apparent gaff may be an infringement of operational security.

Mr Bolton declined at the press conference to rule out military involvement in Venezuela.

A White House spokesperson later said when asked about the note: "As the President has said, all options are on the table."

However, one US official anonymously told AFP news agency "we are not seeing anything that would support" a possible troop deployment to Colombia.

Comment

• Gocka
                • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Phoenix View Post
                Sorry I don't agree...this is not bluster but the US spoiling for a fight.

The recent stop over (in Caracas) of (2) Russian strategic nuclear bombers (Tu 160's) in December 2018 has put the wind up the US...the US will now do everything in its power to force regime change...this orchestrated diplomatic move to isolate Maduro and install Guiado is just the first stage of the strategy...the threats from Bolton are merely the pretext for military intervention.
                Who knows, I don't think there will be direct intervention. Such an act would be a flagrant disregard for the anti interventionism platform Trump ran and won on.

It has to be noted that Venezuela's neighbors and the regional powers around them were the first to recognize Guiardo as the rightful leader, including most if not all the powers in Europe.

I think Maduro's days are numbered either way.

Originally posted by Soldier of Macedon View Post
                The walls have apparently been closing on Trump since day one and any day now it's all over, according to all of the left wing media in the U.S. Yet he's still there. That said, Bolton is a moron and I enjoyed watching Tucker Carlson challenge him some time ago.
                Bolton is a complete and utter moron. As for the liberal left, they have wet dreams about Trump's demise. A year ago there was nothing to get excited over, but in the last month or so there have been many big developments that are hard to ignore.

Whenever the FBI has your personal attorney of 15 years by the balls, odds are you in deep shit unless your past is squeaky clean. Nothing about Trump makes me think squeaky clean therefor its only a matter of time before he is charged with something or the other.

Glavata e secham, if Trump hasn't at some point committed some type of financial impropriety.

Comment

• Big Bad Sven
                  • Jan 2009

I was agains the USA when they invaded countries in the middle east and consider what they did in Libya as a huge mistake, and am glad that Syria won.

But i think the people in Venezuela have suffered enough under the blight of communism. I would support a 'regime' change pushed through by the USA. Even if it was the most capitalist, pro american and corporate puppet government.

Almost every venezualen hates their communist government and people are living in horrible conditions (as opposed to Libya under Ghaddaffi where the majority of people liked the leader and people lived in amazing conditions).

But i doubt there will be a full on invasion by the USA. The government and especially the people dont want to be invaded by thousands of 'brown' refugees from their neighbour, and i will be a bit cheeky and say Venezuela is not a obstacle or threat to Israel, so the goys wont start this war

Comment

• Gocka
                    • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Big Bad Sven View Post
                    I was agains the USA when they invaded countries in the middle east and consider what they did in Libya as a huge mistake, and am glad that Syria won.

But i think the people in Venezuela have suffered enough under the blight of communism. I would support a 'regime' change pushed through by the USA. Even if it was the most capitalist, pro american and corporate puppet government.

Almost every venezualen hates their communist government and people are living in horrible conditions (as opposed to Libya under Ghaddaffi where the majority of people liked the leader and people lived in amazing conditions).

But i doubt there will be a full on invasion by the USA. The government and especially the people dont want to be invaded by thousands of 'brown' refugees from their neighbour, and i will be a bit cheeky and say Venezuela is not a obstacle or threat to Israel, so the goys wont start this war
                    The country is in shambles, and Maduro is some version of a dictator, but I think the USA should mind its business and not meddle at all.

If the Venezuelan people are suffering and they think Maduro or their communist system is to blame, then they need to roll their sleeves up and take care of their own business.

What is with this shit all over the world where people raise their arms up and just whine about their leadership, and demand that someone come "help" them. People need top learn to help themselves. If we are really to have peace and democracy around the world, then the citizens of the world need to start cleaning up their own backyards.

Comment

• Vangelovski
                      • Sep 2008

America - evil bastards when they do something, evil bastards when they don't.

Other than protecting their direct interests, I'd argue that all countries should stay out of others' problems. Granted, sometimes its debatable what impacts on national interest. But intervention never ends well.

Venezuelan's danced with communism until the inevitable happened. It was largely their own choice to go down this path. I remember when millions would come out in defence of Chavez and communism against the evil capitalists forcing them into poverty. Now they scavenge the streets for food and riot against Chavez 2.0. I can offer them the secrets to western prosperity in just a few words: Christianity; capitalism; rule of law; democratic governance. Not many take notice these days. Seems they all want instant and effortless gratification.

I don't know how many times people have to try communism before they work out its a really, really bad idea. I would have thought even a cursory read of Marx and his successors would put one off, but it appears not.
                      If my people who are called by my name will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sins and restore their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14

The Revolution was in the minds and hearts of the people; a change in their religious sentiments, of their duties and obligations...This radical change in the principles, opinions, sentiments, and affections of the people was the real American Revolution. John Adams

Comment

• Risto the Great
                        • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Vangelovski View Post
                        I can offer them the secrets to western prosperity in just a few words: Christianity; capitalism; rule of law; democratic governance. Not many take notice these days. Seems they all want instant and effortless gratification.
                        The ones I know all send their kids to catholic schools. I don't think that is as much of a factor as the other points you mentioned.
                        Risto the Great

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                          • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Risto the Great View Post
                          The ones I know all send their kids to catholic schools. I don't think that is as much of a factor as the other points you mentioned.
                          If it relates to certain societal norms that stem from or are inspired by Christian values, then I think it is a factor that works in well with the rest mentioned.
                          In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• Risto the Great
                            • Sep 2008

The Polish are a fun lot. Since they banished their commies, they have noted more money has gone out of Poland than what has come into Poland in the name of Catholicism. Sounds like a great business model!
                            Risto the Great

Comment

• Risto the Great
                              • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Soldier of Macedon View Post
                              If it relates to certain societal norms that stem from or are inspired by Christian values, then I think it is a factor that works in well with the rest mentioned.
                              Which values?
                              Risto the Great

Comment

Working...
                              X