Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Spartan
    • Sep 2008

I dont think the battle took place there, but I believe the fortified town of Mistras was the last stronghold of a Byzantine emporor.

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
      • Sep 2008

Historical significance there, no doubt. It has been a while since I read it, but I think there is a text in De Administrando Imperio by Constantine Porphyrogentius that makes reference to a group of people in the Peloponnese that were neighbours of the Slavic tribes and called themsleves (or were called) Greeks because they followed the old pagan religion. I will have to check the text again, I will get back to you.
      In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• Daskalot
        • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Soldier of Macedon View Post
        Historical significance there, no doubt. It has been a while since I read it, but I think there is a text in De Administrando Imperio by Constantine Porphyrogentius that makes reference to a group of people in the Peloponnese that were neighbours of the Slavic tribes and called themsleves (or were called) Greeks because they followed the old pagan religion. I will have to check the text again, I will get back to you.
        you are correct SoM, CP gives a reference to the Hellenes as Pagans in the AI.
        Macedonian Truth Organisation

Comment

• Spartan
          • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Soldier of Macedon View Post
          I believe you are correct SoM, as I also have read CPs writings.
          I have also read that from about 550ad to 750ad, there were considerable slav invasions/migrations into the Pelloponese. The south eastern area (Lakonia/sparti/gythion/Mani) were the least affected due to the easily defendable landscape, and the central,north and western pelloponese was the most affected(Arcadia,Elias,Messinia).
          The new slavic migrants in the Pelloponese lived free of Byzantine rule for approx 200 years, until the Church and the Byzantine empire together, either expelled them or brought them under the rule of the empire, thus "re-hellenizing" the Pelloponese in the process.
          As far as the Spartans go, from how I know the history,most of them fled to Mani(which was relatively unaffected) in the face of these invasions, and only returned after the church & empire restored order to the region.
          I can only guess that after 750ad, the slavs that remained in Lakonia and the pelloponese were assimilated overtime into the predominantely Greek culture of the region. However, I have travelled and seen the Pelloponese extensively, and their are many town names that are evidence of the "uncchecked" Slavic presence in the region.

Bottom line
          Racial purity is a laughable notion for any Balkan people to carry, I cant understand why we dwell on it so much.
          My 2 cents

Comment

• AMINTA
            • Jan 2009

Kemal Mustaffa Ataturk was born in Bitola, no wonder he was a Macedonian.... good post!
            I am not afraid of an army of lions led by a sheep; I am afraid of an army of sheep led by a lion.

Comment

• Bratot
              • Sep 2008

Kemal was born in Solun, but educated in Bitola
              The purpose of the media is not to make you to think that the name must be changed, but to get you into debate - what name would suit us! - Bratot

Comment

• Dimko-piperkata
                • Sep 2008

i can't escape the feeling that theres a video hidden about kemal speaking in macedonian and for the macedonians !
                1) Macedonians belong to the "older" Mediterranean substratum...
                2) Macedonians are not related with geographically close Greeks, who do not belong to the "older" Mediterranenan substratum...

Comment

• TerraNova
                  Banned
                  • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Dimko-piperkata View Post
                  i can't escape the feeling that theres a video hidden about kemal speaking in macedonian and for the macedonians !
                  Maybe it was last night's dream.

Comment

• TrueMacedonian
                    • Jan 2009

Apparently this could have been a recurring theme in Sultan history.

Slayer Of The Modern "greek" Myth!!!

Comment

• Maxim
                      • May 2009

he is not Macedonian this is too much its not like th whole world is Macedonian
                      http://i710.photobucket.com/albums/w...73-450x451.jpg

Comment

• TrueMacedonian
                        • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Maxim View Post
                        he is not Macedonian this is too much its not like th whole world is Macedonian
                        He was half Macedonian. Here's some "non-Macedonian" sources to prove it.

The land a dictator turned into a democracy
                        Monday, Oct. 12, 1953

The Father of All the Turks (who left no legitimate heirs) was born in 1881 in Salonika, then part of the Ottoman Empire, of a mild Albanian father and a forceful Macedonian mother.

He was of solid peasant stock of Albanian and Macedonian origins; he had pale blue eyes and light hair and coloring.

Just because he was the Father of the Turks does not mean he was ethnically Turkish. Another example of a "father figure" would be modern "greece's" own Rigas Velenstinlis who was a Vlach by ethnicity.

Comment

• Maxim
                          • May 2009

sorry dude i don't know anything about him i thought this is just another story like i saw on TV : a guy said that all American presidents have Macedonian потекло.
                          http://i710.photobucket.com/albums/w...73-450x451.jpg

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                            • Sep 2008

That guy was Aleksandar Donski and I too am sort of a sceptic about that actual piece of his (not taking away from the other dedicated research he has carried out and articles he has produced together with Stefov). However, I understand that a copy was sent to the Queen herself and he was commended on his research? Don't know exactly, but others have spoken about it here, it would be good to see the book and getter a better understanding.

As for Kemal, it may very well be true that his mother was Islamic but of Macedonian origin, many Turks had non-Turkish mothers. Just the look of Turkish people today is enough to prove that, an invading Ottoman Turk 600 years ago would probably have slaughtered a good chunk of the modern Turkish population for having the appearance of an infidel.
                            In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• Rogi
                              • Sep 2008

The research he did that shows a the Queen having a Macedonian connection, is separate from the research of the US Presidents (which I also am skeptic about).

The official response was in support of Donski's research, because it was true and their own archives showed it to be. It was nothing new for them though, they always knew it.

The connection with the Queen was the same way that most Royal families are connected; through marriage. I think the connection, if memory serves, was along the lines of Tsar Samuil's grandaughter marrying into a Royal family from what is now Montenegro, and their daughter married into either the English royal family or some others, etc where there's then a link to the English Royal Family.

I can't remember it exactly, but it went something like that.

Comment

• TrueMacedonian
                                • Jan 2009

Another source that Kemal Ataturk was Macedonian;

Comment

Working...
                                X