"Latinos" growing in numbers in California (and USA)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pelagon
    • Apr 2010

How do we compare growing numbers of Ghegs in Macedonia to that of "Latinos' in California and USA? Are "Latinos" getting (or aspiring for) the same privileges ("rights") that the Ghegs/Shiptars already have (or even had before 2001) or are aiming to get in the future?

California Eases Tone as Latinos Make Gains
    Monica Almeida/The New York Times

Students after school in Glen Avon, east of Los Angeles. Latinos now make up more than two-thirds of many cities in that region.
    By JENNIFER MEDINA
    Published: February 16, 2013
    http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/17/us...ake-gains.html
    An excerpt from the NYT article that highlights the main points of interest:
    "..,The state’s changing attitudes are driven, in large part, by demographics. In 1990, Latinos made up 30 percent of the state’s population; they will make up 40 percent — more than any other ethnic group — by the end of this year, and 48 percent by 2050, according to projections made by the state this month. This year, for the first time, Latinos were the largest ethnic group applying to the University of California system.

Towns that just a decade ago were largely white now have Latino majorities. Latinos make up an important power base not only in urban centers like Los Angeles, but also in places that were once hostile to outsiders. There are dozens of city councils with a majority of Latino members, a Mexican-American is the mayor of Los Angeles and another is the leader of the State Assembly. Nearly all of the 15 California Republicans in Congress represent districts where at least a quarter of the residents are Latino.

“The political calculus has changed dramatically,” said Manuel Pastor, a demographer and professor of American studies at the University of Southern California. “Immigrants are an accepted part of public life here. And California is America fast-forward. What happened to our demographics between 1980 and 2000 is almost exactly what will happen to the rest of the country over the next 30 years.”
    Last edited by Pelagon; 03-17-2013, 06:11 PM.
  • Gocka
    • Dec 2012

I have always used the example of latinos in America to show how unbalanced and unfair the imposed FA is. The latinos on a national level are a similar percetage to that of albanians in RM, a little less but in certain states they are a sizable minority in many municapalities they make up almost 100%. The USA does not afford even a fraction of the rights the FA does. If the latinos did push for anything similar to our FA I think the reaction from the white population would be quite harsh and swift. It would never happen basically. So I guess its do as I say not as I do.

Comment

• George S.
      • Aug 2009

it would never happen in the us.In macedonia you havr got different scenarios.If any ppulation tried to do what the albanians are doing in macedonia.They will be put away.
      "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
      GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• Vangelovski
        • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Gocka View Post
        I have always used the example of latinos in America to show how unbalanced and unfair the imposed FA is. The latinos on a national level are a similar percetage to that of albanians in RM, a little less but in certain states they are a sizable minority in many municapalities they make up almost 100%. The USA does not afford even a fraction of the rights the FA does. If the latinos did push for anything similar to our FA I think the reaction from the white population would be quite harsh and swift. It would never happen basically. So I guess its do as I say not as I do.
        Are you trying to say the US has the better system in place or Macedonia does?
        If my people who are called by my name will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sins and restore their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14

The Revolution was in the minds and hearts of the people; a change in their religious sentiments, of their duties and obligations...This radical change in the principles, opinions, sentiments, and affections of the people was the real American Revolution. John Adams

Comment

• Risto the Great
          • Sep 2008

He made it very clear when he said the FA is unbalanced and unfair.
          I use the same argument myself. Particularly because the USA pretty much brokered this treason.
          Risto the Great
          MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
          "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• Vangelovski
            • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Risto the Great View Post
            He made it very clear when he said the FA is unbalanced and unfair.
            I use the same argument myself. Particularly because the USA pretty much brokered this treason.
            He also said the US doesn't afford them a fraction of the rights that the FA does implying that the FA actually deals with "rights". The US respects the 'Latinos' inalienable rights, as it does all its citizens. The difference is that the FA has nothing to do with rights, its about special priveleges and that is something the US does not provide.

Seeing as he's made negative comments in relation to both I don't think is not unreasonable to ask which he thinks is a better system.
            If my people who are called by my name will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sins and restore their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14

The Revolution was in the minds and hearts of the people; a change in their religious sentiments, of their duties and obligations...This radical change in the principles, opinions, sentiments, and affections of the people was the real American Revolution. John Adams

Comment

• Vangelovski
              • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Pelagon View Post
              How do we compare growing numbers of Ghegs in Macedonia to that of "Latinos' in California and USA? Are "Latinos" getting (or aspiring for) the same rights that the Ghegs/Shiptars already have (or even had before 2001) or are aiming to get in the future?

An excerpt from the NYT article that highlights the main points of interest:
              I don't think Latino's, or any other group, will be seeking any special privileges (as opposed to actual rights) in the US any time soon. While there are degrees of violations in all countries, their inalienable and civil rights are respected. Further, many of them having come from the chaos that is Mexico and Latin America more broadly, I think they appreciate what they actually have in the US and aren't keen on reinventing their 'home' countries there. Also, I think the US (and other places like Canada and Australia) have their models of integration running like a well oiled machine.

Comment

• Pelagon
                • Apr 2010

Originally posted by Vangelovski View Post
                He also said the US doesn't afford them a fraction of the rights that the FA does implying that the FA actually deals with "rights". The US respects the 'Latinos' inalienable rights, as it does all its citizens. The difference is that the FA has nothing to do with rights, its about special priveleges and that is something the US does not provide.

Seeing as he's made negative comments in relation to both I don't think is not unreasonable to ask which he thinks is a better system.
                I will take the blame for using incorrect terminology here as I originally (in a rather ideologically sloppy way) took the lead and used the term rights without any qualification and Gocka probably just followed that lead. I apologise for not being sharper in the first place in using correct terminology and, IMHO, there is no need for further agitation on this point.

How do we compare growing numbers of Ghegs in Macedonia to that of "Latinos' in California and USA? Are "Latinos" getting (or aspiring for) the same privileges ("rights") that the Ghegs/Shiptars already have (or even had before 2001) or are aiming to get in the future?

Comment

• Pelagon
                  • Apr 2010

I don't think Latino's, or any other group, will be seeking any special privileges (as opposed to actual rights) in the US any time soon. While there are degrees of violations in all countries, their inalienable and civil rights are respected. Further, many of them having come from the chaos that is Mexico and Latin America more broadly, I think they appreciate what they actually have in the US and aren't keen on reinventing their 'home' countries there. Also, I think the US (and other places like Canada and Australia) have their models of integration running like a well oiled machine.
                  I am also wondering why "Latinos" are (or should be) ranged against "Whites" (whatever that means) in this "demographic war" as many Catholics (Americans of Irish, Italian, Polish...decent), amongst others, might feel closer cultural affinity to them than to the Protestant or Anglo-American ruling elites. As a Macedonian, I personally would feel more affinity to "Latinos", Indigenous-Americans, African-Americans and a number of other X-Americans than to the "White-Americans" .

Comment

• Vangelovski
                    • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Pelagon View Post
                    I am also wondering why "Latinos" are (or should be) ranged against "Whites" (whatever that means) in this "demographic war" as many Catholics (Americans of Irish, Italian, Polish...decent), amongst others, might feel closer cultural affinity to them than to the Protestant or Anglo-American ruling elites. As a Macedonian, I personally would feel more affinity to "Latinos", Indigenous-Americans, African-Americans and a number of other X-Americans than to the "White-Americans" .
                    I don't think the American "ruling elite" is soley Anglo-American. In fact, I don't think that Anglo-Americans are even a majority of the "ruling elite" whether by its broadest or narrowist definitions.

You personally may feel a closer affinity to non-Anglo Americans, but that does not necessarily mean that all Macedonians or all Latino's would. I think that would be a very individual thing.

Comment

• Gocka
                      • Dec 2012

Tom,

I have never diverged on my view of the FA, I think this is a little petty and like RTG said I clearly said unfair and unbalanced. I don't want to get into another pissing match about absolutely nothing. I was following Pelagon's lead since I was answering his post directly. I knew he didn't mean rights in terms of basic human rights so I didn't feel a need to make it an issue. If you ask an albanian he will say the FA outlines their rights, obviously we say privileges. Isn't a right in the eye of the beholder really? Who draws the line at what a right is and what a privilege is? I always thought of them as human rights when speaking specifically about what you would consider "rights". Anyway yes privilege is probably more appropriate.
                      The only points I wanted to make is that the USA would never implement anything like the FA in America even if Latinos or any other minority asked for it. They probably would never ask for something so outrages like the FA provides but the point is if they did the USA would never agree, they would see it is unfair and completely unbalanced in affording way too many special privileges. The other point was that looking at the demographics the Latinos in the USA could very well ask for something like the FA if they used Macedonia as the standard. In fact if you use Macedonia as the standard, the Latinos can gather up in Mexico, get a bunch of Mexican nationals together and wage war on Texas and California in order to secure an OFA style compromise. How long would that last, 10 seconds? There are many US politicians who already campaign openly that the Latinos are afforded too many privileges, so imagine if they were given what the FA gives? I think most Americans wouldn't stand for it but of course it's good enough for us right?
                      Pelagon,
                      Yes I agree with you on the cultural aspect. I don't know exactly why most Americans feel a sense of aversion to Latinos and their culture, they see it as totally foreign when as you point out they are much more similar with most other immigrant groups. Italian are especially one which is very similar even the language and yet some of the most racist people I've met are American/Italians. Very good point you brought up, I guess in short Americans perceive American culture as an traditionally Anglican, so they consider anything else as foreign.
                      Last edited by Gocka; 03-18-2013, 06:46 AM.

Comment

• Vangelovski
                        • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Gocka View Post
                        Tom,

I have never divulged on my view of the FA, I think this is a little petty and like RTG said I clearly said unfair and unbalanced. I don't want to get into another pissing match about absolutely nothing. I was following Pelagon's lead since I was answering his post directly. I knew he didn't mean rights in terms of basic human rights so I didn't feel a need to make it an issue. If you ask an albanian he will say the FA outlines their rights, obviously we say privileges. Isn't a right in the eye of the beholder really? Who draws the line at what a right is and what a privilege is? I always thought of them as human rights when speaking specifically about what you would consider "rights". Anyway yes privilege is probably more appropriate.
                        The only points I wanted to make is that the USA would never implement anything like the FA in America even if Latinos or any other minority asked for it. They probably would never ask for something so outrages like the FA provides but the point is if they did the USA would never agree, they would see it is unfair and completely unbalanced in affording way too many special privileges. The other point was that looking at the demographics the Latinos in the USA could very well ask for something like the FA if they used Macedonia as the standard. In fact if you use Macedonia as the standard, the Latinos can gather up in Mexico, get a bunch of Mexican nationals together and wage war on Texas and California in order to secure an OFA style compromise. How long would that last, 10 seconds? There are many US politicians who already campaign openly that the Latinos are afforded too many privileges, so imagine if they were given what the FA gives? I think most Americans wouldn't stand for it but of course it's good enough for us right?
                        You mean diverged? Fair enough.

Comment

• Gocka
                          • Dec 2012

You mean diverged? Fair enough.
                          thats auto correct for you

Comment

• Carlin
                            • Dec 2011

0) http://cervantesobservatorio.fas.har...map_2017en.pdf

1) Census: U.S. Latino population grows while Puerto Rico sees unprecedented drop

URL:
                            A growing number of Latinos and the displacement of Puerto Ricans after Hurricane Maria are contributing to a diverse U.S., new census data shows.

June 20, 2019

The Census Bureau estimates that about 58 million Latinos live in the country, making up 18 percent of the nation’s population. By 2060, Latinos are expected to make up about 30 percent of the U.S. population, according to the agency.

Los Angeles County in California continues to have the largest Hispanic population in the country with a population of 4.9 million Latinos, the agency said in a press release.

While Liberty County in Texas experienced the nation’s fastest growth in Latino population, increasing by 11.4 percent (2,369 people) between 2017 and 2018, Maricopa County in Arizona saw the largest numeric growth.

“Maricopa shows a shift from the traditional growth that was focused in cities and metro areas in the South around the 90’s,” López said. “This could also be a reflection of births being more important than immigration as sources of population growth.”

The Hispanic population in Maricopa County, where the city of Phoenix is located, increased by a little more than 34,000 people (2.6 percent), according to the agency.

“Especially because of Phoenix, Arizona’s population as a whole has been increasing,” López said. “People could be moving there for a number of reasons whether it is because of jobs or people moving back home, but really the Hispanic growth there is also part of a broader growth.”

Maricopa County also had the largest numeric population growth among whites, increasing by 60,749 people (1.6 percent), as well as American Indian and Alaska Native people, which increased by 3,745 (2.4 percent).

2) Looking ahead to the 2020 Census as the Charlotte-area Hispanic population rises

URL:

June 21, 2019

Mecklenburg and its surrounding counties have seen a surge in Hispanic residents since 2010, recently released Census data show.

According to the 2018 population estimates from the U.S. Census Bureau, the nine-county area has added around 66,500 Hispanic residents so far this decade, an increase of 33%. Mecklenburg County alone now has an estimated 148,300 Hispanic residents, around 14% of the population. The increase of Mecklenburg’s Hispanic population far outpaced its increase of non-Hispanic whites (9%) and non-Hispanic blacks (23 percent). Statewide since 2010, the Hispanic population grew by 25% in North Carolina and 26% in South Carolina.

3) The US will become ‘minority white’ in 2045, Census projects

URL:

March 14, 2018

(In 2060) the census projects whites will comprise only 36 percent of the under age 18 population, with Hispanics accounting for 32 percent.

4) Prevalence, Impact and Assimilation of German Americans

URL:

5 Nov 2016

German Americans are the largest ancestry group in the United States. Some 46 million Americans, comprising 14 percent of the population, claim German roots.

Assimilation

Despite their numerical preponderance, German Americans have been something of a silent majority throughout American history.

Partly that’s because they themselves deemphasized their Germanness in the first half of the twentieth century. Barely any German speakers remain.

Many first-generation German immigrants were also poor, uneducated farmers, who spread out across the Midwest, unlike, say, more middle-class Irishmen and Italians, many of whom settled in the big cities of the Northeast where they could more easily become a political force.

Whether it is in spite or because of this process of assimilation, German Americans now do better than most ethnicities on many metrics. They are more likely to have college degrees and less likely to be unemployed. Their median household income is 18 percent above the national norm.

Well-known German Americans include former House speaker John Boehner, former secretary of state Henry Kissinger, the architect Ludwig Mies van der Rohe, the oil magnate John D. Rockefeller and the actress Meryl Streep — as well as the current Republican presidential candidate, Donald Trump.
                            Last edited by Carlin; 06-21-2019, 11:55 PM.

Comment

• Gocka
                              • Dec 2012

LOL They took the southwest from the Mexicans, and now they are taking it back.

One thing I have noticed in the last decade is that assimilation has been better among Hispanics. Just going through my daily routines I notice many Hispanic families speaking English among themselves What I mean is people who clearly don't speak English very well, yet still choose to speak it over their native language. Growing up this was not the case. They were like Albanians, they would make a point of speaking Spanish.

As long as assimilation progresses like it has been, I don't think the demographics matter that much. Although it will be interesting to see how these demographic changes impact public policy. Many believe that the country will shift tot he left as a result, but what I find is the more people become assimilated and vested, they tend to be much less stereotypical.

Comment

Working...
                              X