Alexandros, Alaksandu or even Aleksandar???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dimko-piperkata
    • Sep 2008

Alexandros, Alaksandu or even Aleksandar???

http://bmcr.brynmawr.edu/2004/2004-02-13.html

Finally, it is interesting to take a look at the spelling of Alexander's name in the cuneiform texts. The correct rendering of Alexandros would have been A-lek-sa-an-dar-ru-su, but until now, no tablet has been discovered that uses this Greek name. Instead, after some first attempts to render the conqueror's name, the Babylonian scribes settled upon A-lek-sa-an-dar. Probably, this only shows that the scribes found it difficult to render a foreign name. On the other hand, it can not be excluded that Alexandar is the Macedonian name by which the conqueror of Asia was known to his courtiers. Cuneiform renderings of Seleucus (Si-lu-uk-ku) and other names may also offer clues for linguists studying the Macedonian language.

1) Macedonians belong to the "older" Mediterranean substratum...
    2) Macedonians are not related with geographically close Greeks, who do not belong to the "older" Mediterranenan substratum...
  • Stevce
    • Jan 2016

If you look at the ancient coins from Alexander 1 onwards, it was never Alexandros. Same as it was never Makedonos but Makedonia.

Comment

• Liberator of Makedonija
      • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Stevce View Post
      If you look at the ancient coins from Alexander 1 onwards, it was never Alexandros. Same as it was never Makedonos but Makedonia.
      I don't think Makedonos was ever used to describe the country.
      I know of two tragic histories in the world- that of Ireland, and that of Macedonia. Both of them have been deprived and tormented.

Comment

• Stevce
        • Jan 2016

Yeah, I read it in some Greek book or forum. Can't remember which one.

Comment

• Liberator of Makedonija
          • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Stevce View Post
          Yeah, I read it in some Greek book or forum. Can't remember which one.
          Makedonos sounds more like what they would have referred to the people.
          I know of two tragic histories in the world- that of Ireland, and that of Macedonia. Both of them have been deprived and tormented.

Comment

Working...
          X