X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Liberator of Makedonija
    • Apr 2014

Originally posted by EgejskaMakedonia View Post
    Haha yeh that's the one. I don't know them overly well but they're great blokes. I think the older guy is from Bitola, but it was a while ago that I asked him so I could be wrong. I used to go there on a weekly basis pretty much and they're always very welcoming. Hearing people talk in Macedonian around that area always brings a smile too.
    Haha yes the older bloke is Lewie, he is from Bitola. The younger bloke who arrived more recently is Mario, not sure where he is from but apparently he is "fresh off the boat". I love speaking to Lewie in Macedonian and all my non-Macedonian mates get around him, always a friendly "zdravo" when they see him, often pronounced horribly but still.
    I know of two tragic histories in the world- that of Ireland, and that of Macedonia. Both of them have been deprived and tormented.

Comment

• Apr 2014

Originally posted by Momce Makedonce View Post
      I really like the Macedonian Food Festival Event in Melbourne and would love to see the same thing started here. I think food is something that attracts a good mix of old and young. I`ve seen photos and videos of it and I think that it could possibly be quite successful here as well.

I`m glad you mentioned the Macedonian Australian Pride page. It actually really is a great page that combines humour, news, and history very well. Its the best of its kind on social media and has even kind of become mainstream among Macedonian youth which is very positive.
      I went to the food festival last year and apparently got over 20k people there, it was defiantly packed that's for sure. There's another food festival in a month and a cultural festival in November. There's also picnics held throughout Victoria during summer.

That Macedonian Australian Pride page is fantastic but they always ignore my messages and rarely post anything about the occupied territories.
      I know of two tragic histories in the world- that of Ireland, and that of Macedonia. Both of them have been deprived and tormented.

Comment

• Momce Makedonce
        • Jul 2012

Originally posted by Liberator of Makedonija View Post
        I went to the food festival last year and apparently got over 20k people there, it was defiantly packed that's for sure. There's another food festival in a month and a cultural festival in November. There's also picnics held throughout Victoria during summer.

That Macedonian Australian Pride page is fantastic but they always ignore my messages and rarely post anything about the occupied territories.
        That`s quite impressive Liberator. Can you tell me more about the cultural festival?

I agree they do not put enough effort into speaking about the Aegean and Pirin parts of Macedonia. If I am not mistaken I think I remember you mentioning somewhere you were from Lerin region? Being from there what can you say about the relations between Macedonians from the Aegean and the Republic in Melbourne?

I ask because the majority in Sydney hail from the Republic, and some of the younger ones unfortunately do not know much about the occupied parts of Macedonia and our people from there. The Macedonian Australian Pride page can definitely do a better job of educating the younger generation in regards to this and filling in their lack of knowledge which will be very beneficial.
        "The moral revolution - the revolution of the mind, heart and soul of an enslaved people, is our greatest task." Goce Delcev

Comment

• Apr 2014

That`s quite impressive Liberator. Can you tell me more about the cultural festival?

I agree they do not put enough effort into speaking about the Aegean and Pirin parts of Macedonia. If I am not mistaken I think I remember you mentioning somewhere you were from Lerin region? Being from there what can you say about the relations between Macedonians from the Aegean and the Republic in Melbourne?

I ask because the majority in Sydney hail from the Republic, and some of the younger ones unfortunately do not know much about the occupied parts of Macedonia and our people from there. The Macedonian Australian Pride page can definitely do a better job of educating the younger generation in regards to this and filling in their lack of knowledge which will be very beneficial.
          I have never been to the Cultural festival actually but I believe it's been running for some time now, it doesn't seem all that different to the food festival just with a less emphasis on the food.

My grandparents were from the Lerin and Kostur regions, I am Australian born.

The relationship between Aegeans and those from the Republic is pretty normal but because they are concentrated in different parts of the city in addition with the lack of family connection, they don't also come into contact with eachother. Before I started attending Macedonian school in the northern suburbs I had never met a Macedonian from the republic but every person in my class's background was from the Republic. They all know about the division of Macedonia though and are very passionate and patriotic, it seems to go the same for most of the Macedonian youth in Melbourne.

Comment

• VMRO
            • Sep 2008

I have never been to the Cultural festival actually but I believe it's been running for some time now, it doesn't seem all that different to the food festival just with a less emphasis on the food.

The relationship between Aegeans and those from the Republic is pretty normal but because they are concentrated in different parts of the city in addition with the lack of family connection, they don't also come into contact with eachother. Before I started attending Macedonian school in the northern suburbs I had never met a Macedonian from the republic but every person in my class's background was from the Republic. They all know about the division of Macedonia though and are very passionate and patriotic, it seems to go the same for most of the Macedonian youth in Melbourne.
            Which villages in Kostursko and Lerinsko are your grandparents from nashijo?
            Verata vo Mislite, VMRO vo dushata, Makedonia vo Srceto.

Vnatreshna Makedonska Revolucionerna Organizacija.

Comment

• Apr 2014

Originally posted by VMRO View Post
              Which villages in Kostursko and Lerinsko are your grandparents from nashijo?

Бапчор и Мала

Wrote in Macedonian because Latin keyboard lacks characters

Comment

• VMRO
                • Sep 2008

Бапчор и Мала

Wrote in Macedonian because Latin keyboard lacks characters
                You might be svatoj with EM.

Comment

• Apr 2014

You might be svatoj with EM.
                  Svatoj??????????

Comment

• VMRO
                    • Sep 2008

Svatoj??????????
                    sorry i mean related through cousins.

Comment

• Apr 2014

Is he from one of those villages?

Comment

• EgejskaMakedonia
                        • Jan 2010

I really like the Macedonian Food Festival Event in Melbourne and would love to see the same thing started here. I think food is something that attracts a good mix of old and young. I`ve seen photos and videos of it and I think that it could possibly be quite successful here as well.
                        I'm fairly certain the food festival is coming to Sydney this year too, unless those plans have changed since. If the turnout is good there's no reason it can't become an annual thing over there too. Not only that, it attracts locals too and immerses people from all sorts of backgrounds in Macedonian culture. It's a good way to promote our sizable presence in Australia.

Haha yes the older bloke is Lewie, he is from Bitola. The younger bloke who arrived more recently is Mario, not sure where he is from but apparently he is "fresh off the boat". I love speaking to Lewie in Macedonian and all my non-Macedonian mates get around him, always a friendly "zdravo" when they see him, often pronounced horribly but still.
                        Haha the good old 'zdravo' or 'dobro' when you bump into him, definitely adds character to the place.

Is he from one of those villages?
                        I think we had family from Bapchor at one stage and relatives from Mala too. But we're predominantly from Krpeshina and Neret on my Dad's side, and Nevolini on my Mum's side. If you live in the east chances are my Dedo and Baba would know your family.

Comment

• Apr 2014

I think we had family from Bapchor at one stage and relatives from Mala too. But we're predominantly from Krpeshina and Neret on my Dad's side, and Nevolini on my Mum's side. If you live in the east chances are my Dedo and Baba would know your family.

Yes there is a pretty good chance of that actually. Do you mind me asking where abouts in the east your family lives?

Comment

• Momce Makedonce
                            • Jul 2012

That`s a good thing to hear and how I expected it to be.

Bit off topic but I do know that Preston Makedonia was formed by Macedonians from Egej. Did you follow this team even though you were from the East of Melbourne? I hear of rivalry between Preston and Altona, the two biggest Macedonian backed clubs in Melbourne. I`m assuming it is very similar to the old rivalry between Rockdale and Bankstown here in Sydney where they were always competing to be the best Macedonian club in the city. Nothing against Altona but looking in from an unbiased perspective I feel as though Preston is the heart of the Macedonian community in Melbourne and represents it the best.

I'm fairly certain the food festival is coming to Sydney this year too, unless those plans have changed since. If the turnout is good there's no reason it can't become an annual thing over there too. Not only that, it attracts locals too and immerses people from all sorts of backgrounds in Macedonian culture. It's a good way to promote our sizable presence in Australia.
                            Definitely, anything like that goes a long way in establishing our culture further in Australia. Would love to see some more Macedonian restaurants open up in Sydney. There is quite a well known one here in Newtown which has been open for a long time and attracts people from all kinds of different backgrounds which is really great.
                            "The moral revolution - the revolution of the mind, heart and soul of an enslaved people, is our greatest task." Goce Delcev

Comment

• Apr 2014

That`s a good thing to hear and how I expected it to be.

Bit off topic but I do know that Preston Makedonia was formed by Macedonians from Egej. Did you follow this team even though you were from the East of Melbourne? I hear of rivalry between Preston and Altona, the two biggest Macedonian backed clubs in Melbourne. I`m assuming it is very similar to the old rivalry between Rockdale and Bankstown here in Sydney where they were always competing to be the best Macedonian club in the city. Nothing against Altona but looking in from an unbiased perspective I feel as though Preston is the heart of the Macedonian community in Melbourne and represents it the best.
                              I actually do follow Preston and yes there is defiantly a strong rivalry between us and Altona. Preston Makedonia was formed in 1947 by Aegean Macedonians whilst Altona Vardar was founded in 1968 by Macedonians from the Republic, they styled themselves after FK Vardar. Preston is defiantly the heart as we have a much longer and eventful history and we have a lot more support. Preston was and still is the largest Macedonian club in Australia, despite being in the 4th division which is saying something.

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                                • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Momce Makedonce
                                It might just be a case of the grass being greener on the other side, but it genuinely seems like Melbourne Macedonians for example, are much more united and supportive of each other than Macedonians here.
                                You're right. The grass is greener. Move to Melbourne. but whatever you do, don't go to Adelaide
                                Originally posted by Liberator of Makedonija
                                Another likely factor for this is that a lot of Macedonians in the northern suburbs are from the Republic or have parents from there. Whereas in the east we are mostly Aegean Macedonians that have been here for a lot longer, so unlike in the north where the youth have parents from Macedonia, in the east only our grandparents are from there.
                                The Macedonian population in the western suburbs of Melbourne are mostly from the republic. Those in the northern suburbs are largely from Bitola and Lerin (these days numerically in favour of the former), and that, broadly and collectively, seems to be a microcosm of the people with Macedonian ancestry in Australia.
                                In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

Working...
                                X