X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Liberator of Makedonija
    • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Soldier of Macedon View Post
    You're right. The grass is greener. Move to Melbourne. but whatever you do, don't go to Adelaide

The Macedonian population in the western suburbs of Melbourne are mostly from the republic. Those in the northern suburbs are largely from Bitola and Lerin (these days numerically in favour of the former), and that, broadly and collectively, seems to be a microcosm of the people with Macedonian ancestry in Australia.

Almost every Macedonian I meet in the northern suburbs is from Bitola. The Bitola Social Club is located in Thomastown
    I know of two tragic histories in the world- that of Ireland, and that of Macedonia. Both of them have been deprived and tormented.

Comment

• Apr 2014

Also going off what Momce said. Can anyone explain who founded Rockdale and Bankstown? I mean is it the same story as Altona and Preston where one was founded by those from the Republic and the others from the Aegean?
      I know of two tragic histories in the world- that of Ireland, and that of Macedonia. Both of them have been deprived and tormented.

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
        • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Liberator of Makedonija View Post
        Almost every Macedonian I meet in the northern suburbs is from Bitola.
        I don't doubt your personal experiences and perceptions, as I indicated, those from Bitola are the majority, but people who grew up there and are more familiar with the Macedonian demographics of the region would know there are plenty from Lerin also.
        In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• Apr 2014

I don't doubt your personal experiences and perceptions, as I indicated, those from Bitola are the majority, but people who grew up there and are more familiar with the Macedonian demographics of the region would know there are plenty from Lerin also.

Don't doubt it, I only know young people in the north, sure the older ones are from Aegean.

Met plenty of people in Melbourne from Lerin, even know a family up in Kilmore from Lerin.

Comment

• Momce Makedonce
            • Jul 2012

You're right. The grass is greener. Move to Melbourne. but whatever you do, don't go to Adelaide
            I was waiting for a cheeky comment from a Melbournian, can`t believe it took so long hahaha. I`ve actually visited both to be honest but I haven`t spent a huge amount of time in either. For both cities I have spent most of my time in and around the CBD`s and didn`t have much of a chance to visit some of the suburbs but hopefully next time.

I visited Adelaide briefly for the A League grand final earlier in the year which actually fell on Orthodox Easter so I made sure I went to the Macedonian Orthodox Church in the Adelaide suburb of Findon on the day. Completely different from how Cabbramatta is absolutely packed here in Sydney on Orthodox Easter and Christmas. There was close to no people apart from some elderly ones. I was having a chat with the guy that was selling candles there who told me that for such a small Macedonian community, there were three different churches in Adelaide which I found quite suprising.

Also going off what Momce said. Can anyone explain who founded Rockdale and Bankstown? I mean is it the same story as Altona and Preston where one was founded by those from the Republic and the others from the Aegean?
            I can`t really tell you much as I am not sure. It talks about their history on their Wikipedia pages but not entirely sure if it is correct.

I think they were both established by Macedonians from the Republic, I have heard of bitterness between some of the people in charge of the two clubs at one point because they had some sort of fued with one another back home in Bitola before they migrated to Australia, but once again I cannot confirm.

It sounds about right though
            "The moral revolution - the revolution of the mind, heart and soul of an enslaved people, is our greatest task." Goce Delcev

Comment

• EgejskaMakedonia
              • Jan 2010

Yes there is a pretty good chance of that actually. Do you mind me asking where abouts in the east your family lives?
              I'll PM you.

Comment

• Apr 2014

Originally posted by EgejskaMakedonia View Post
                I'll PM you.

I'm a junior member, where would I check for messages?

Comment

• EgejskaMakedonia
                  • Jan 2010

I'm a junior member, where would I check for messages?
                  Top right where it says 'welcome,' just underneath that.

Comment

Working...
                  X