X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vicsinad
    • May 2011

Yeah, still seems up for debate.

They are probably still figuring out if 50% of the population will show up to vote. If they believe they can get enough Albanians (including those from Switzerland) to show up and then as many SDS loyalists as possible, then they may make it binding. If 51% of the population shows up to vote, and over 50% votes yes, then they're likely golden. If only 35% of the population shows up (or whatever % is mostly only the supporters), then they may still claim that "90 or x% of the population is for the agreement/EU/NATO" and still claim victory. Either way, they'll do their damnedest to find a way to make it valid and change the name.

How will the people react when the name starts to be changed on documents and etc.? Complain but accept or engage in active resistance? Do the Macedonian people have a tipping point? What is that tipping point?
    Last edited by vicsinad; 07-19-2018, 08:37 AM.

Comment

• vicsinad
      • May 2011

Originally posted by Tomche Makedonche View Post
      On another note, can't help but laugh at the following from the above article:

Good old Macedonia, where if you're in power and the laws don't suit your needs, you can just go ahead and change them at your leisure without consequence. Macedonians are so lucky they finally got rid of authoritarian government, corruption and a captured state.
      Some people who voted for SDS are calling out the government for being the same as the previous government. But not the majority. It shows that this election was, again, not about democratic values or principles but about party interests and gains associated with being a member of a ruling party.

Comment

• Tomche Makedonche
        • Oct 2011

Originally posted by vicsinad View Post
        Yeah, still seems up for debate.

They are probably still figuring out if 50% of the population will show up to vote. If they believe they can get enough Albanians (including those from Switzerland) to show up and then as many SDS loyalists as possible, then they may make it binding. If 51% of the population shows up to vote, and over 50% votes yes, then they're likely golden. If only 35% of the population shows up (or whatever % is mostly only the supporters), then they may still claim that "90 or x% of the population is for the agreement/EU/NATO" and still claim victory. Either way, they'll do their damnedest to find a way to make it valid and change the name.

How will the people react when the name starts to be changed on documents and etc.? Complain but accept or engage in active resistance? Do the Macedonian people have a tipping point? What is that tipping point?
        From what I understand, the intention from the outset was to hold a non-binding referendum, a plebiscite (basically a glorified survey) to avoid being bound to a result which may be unfavourable to the governments agenda. Its the safest course for any government to pursue because if they obtain a favourable result, then they can pressure the opposition to act upon the wishes of the majority (placing any opposition in a precarious position if they choose to reject the result), but if it is unfavourable, then the government is not bound to act on the results.

If the people were serious about stopping this, they should be protesting to make sure it is a referendum (and therefore binding under the constitution) to make the government accountable to the will of the people and then make sure that an overwhelming majority convey a resounding No.

But in Macedonia, the preferable choice is to not even bother showing up or participating in the decision making process at all, because its much easier to just ignore exercising your civic duty, that way you can ignorantly brush off any notion of personal accountability for whatever the outcome may be.
        Last edited by Tomche Makedonche; 07-19-2018, 09:12 AM.
        “There’s a time when the operation of the machine becomes so odious, makes you so sick at heart, that you can’t take part, you can’t even passively take part, and you’ve got to put your bodies upon the gears and upon the wheels, upon the levers, upon all the apparatus and you’ve got to make it stop, and you’ve got to indicate to the people who run it, to the people who own it, that unless you’re free, the machine will be prevented from working at all” - Mario Savio

Comment

• Phoenix
          • Dec 2008

...If the people were serious about stopping this, they should be protesting to make sure it is a referendum (and therefore binding under the constitution) to make the government accountable to the will of the people and then make sure that an overwhelming majority convey a resounding No...
          Perfectly logical in the normal world...but this is Macedonia, where protests are driven by party affiliations and party interests, where the constitution is meaningless and not worth wiping your arse with and governments are self serving and never accountable to the people.

Comment

• Phoenix
            • Dec 2008

...Good old Macedonia, where if you're in power and the laws don't suit your needs, you can just go ahead and change them at your leisure without consequence. Macedonians are so lucky they finally got rid of authoritarian government, corruption and a captured state.
            I wonder where all those paint throwing cunts are at the moment...?

Comment

• Gocka
              • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Phoenix View Post
              I wonder where all those paint throwing cunts are at the moment...?
              Waiting for the handouts related to their cunt like actions.

Perfectly logical in the normal world...but this is Macedonia, where protests are driven by party affiliations and party interests, where the constitution is meaningless and not worth wiping your arse with and governments are self serving and never accountable to the people.
              This is it exactly. I caught a lot of shit when I came out against DPMNE. I knew that they would never genuinely come out against the agreement. I never got hyped about the protests because I knew they were organized by DPMNE. If the parties call for a protest their will be one. Ama ne e to to. These people come out to protest out of obligation, they don't give a shit about anything. That is why no matter how many of these "protests" there are nothing seems to ever change. Because their is no genuine outrage, there are no genuine demands.

It is a lawless and hopeless country, and it seems no one is willing to do anything to change that. When I see suggestions here about the constitutionality of all this, I can't help but laugh. What constitution, we don't have a real constitution, we don't have a real country. Anything goes, anything can be justified one way or another.

Comment

• Phoenix
                • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Gocka View Post
                ...It is a lawless and hopeless country...
                No need to say anything else.

Apologies to our non-Australian friends in advance...

"In summing up, it’s the constitution, it’s Mabo, it’s justice, it’s law, it’s the vibe and aah no that’s it, it’s the vibe. I rest my case".

Denis Denuto.

Comment

• Tomche Makedonche
                  • Oct 2011

"In summing up, it’s the constitution, it’s Mabo, it’s justice, it’s law, it’s the vibe and aah no that’s it, it’s the vibe. I rest my case".

Denis Denuto.
                  how’s the serenity...
                  “There’s a time when the operation of the machine becomes so odious, makes you so sick at heart, that you can’t take part, you can’t even passively take part, and you’ve got to put your bodies upon the gears and upon the wheels, upon the levers, upon all the apparatus and you’ve got to make it stop, and you’ve got to indicate to the people who run it, to the people who own it, that unless you’re free, the machine will be prevented from working at all” - Mario Savio

Comment

• Phoenix
                    • Dec 2008

how’s the serenity...
                    Just realised something...remember the character Con Petropoulous (Eric Bana), Tracey’s new husband, an accountant and amateur kickboxer

Must have been based on RtG...

Con explaining dehydration:

Tracey: It was so dry on the plane that your hair actually dehydrates, doesn’t it Con.
                    Con: Yeah it loses it’s moisture.

Comment

• Risto the Great
                      • Sep 2008

I'm much more than that! I'm Macedonian.

You can take that vibe out of your arse.
                      Risto the Great
                      MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
                      "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• maco2envy
                        • Jan 2015

‘Atheist PM’ to blame for deadly fires, says Greek bishop

A senior cleric has said that Greece’s “atheist prime minister” was to blame for the devastating wildfires that have claimed at least 74 lives since Monday.

“Atheist Prime Minister Alexis Tsipras draws the wrath of God,” Bishop Amvrosios of Kalavryta in the Peloponnese wrote on his blog Tuesday.

“The atheists of SYRIZA are the causes of the general disaster! Their atheis, draws the wrath of God!” he added.

His comments drew immediate condemnation on social media, including from other Orthodox clerics.

In a statement Tuesday, the Archbishopric of Athens said Amvrosios was “only expressing his personal opinion.”
                        A senior cleric has said that Greece’s “atheist prime minister” was to blame for the devastating wildfires that have claimed at least 74 lives since Monday.

Comment

• Risto the Great
                          • Sep 2008

Disgusting opportunism.
                          Risto the Great
                          MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
                          "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• vicsinad
                            • May 2011

Originally posted by Risto the Great View Post
                            Disgusting opportunism.
                            It reminds me of televangelists in the US. Every time there are floods or tornadoes, it's because secular society is turning away from God. So, they then ask for donations to build their new megachurch or buy their new private jet.

Comment

• Liberator of Makedonija
                              • Apr 2014

It reminds me of televangelists in the US. Every time there are floods or tornadoes, it's because secular society is turning away from God. So, they then ask for donations to build their new megachurch or buy their new private jet.
                              Yeah fair comparison, pretty unreal.
                              I know of two tragic histories in the world- that of Ireland, and that of Macedonia. Both of them have been deprived and tormented.

Comment

• Gocka
                                • Dec 2012

It never seams to amaze me how primitive Greeks are. I can't believe we are going to lose to those fucking idiots.

A bunch of Arabs who want to be Neo Nazis, Go figure.,

Comment

Working...
                                X