X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Risto the Great
    • Sep 2008

Serbians, Macedonians Roll Through Borders

By Biljana Pekusic and Klaudija Lutovska The two-week European Handball Championship kicked off in Serbia on Sunday (January 15th) with a special benefit for Macedonians -- they were able to enter Serbia without passports. The implementation of the deal -- reached between interior ministers Ivica Dacic and Gordana Jankuloska in October -- means that the...

January 19, 2012
    By Biljana Pekusic and Klaudija Lutovska

The two-week European Handball Championship kicked off in Serbia on Sunday (January 15th) with a special benefit for Macedonians — they were able to enter Serbia without passports.

The implementation of the deal — reached between interior ministers Ivica Dacic and Gordana Jankuloska in October — means that the Serbian-Macedonian border can be crossed by citizens showing their biometric ID cards.

Although the deal has not been ratified by the countries’ parliaments, “we decided to accelerate the implementation for the citizens of Macedonia to make it easier for them to come to the games,” Serbian Interior Minister Ivica Dacic told SETimes.

“During the the first two days [of the relaxed requirements], more than 30,000 Macedonians passed [into Serbia] without a passport,” Jankuloska told SETimes.

Macedonian border police representatives will be on hand to help their Serbian counterparts.

There are three additional lanes open to leave Macedonia, and one extra lane to enter Serbia at the border crossings during these weeks, Jankuloska told reporters.

In 2011, 3.5 million Serbian citizens crossed the common border with Macedonia. It is expected that the number will increase this year due to the eased requirements.

“As soon as we read this news, my wife and I decided that this year we will go on holiday in Macedonia, to their beautiful Lake Ohrid,” Belgrade retiree Borislav Tahirović told SETimes.

The simplified procedure at the crossings is also expected to facilitate joint infrastructure projects between the two countries — such as Corridor 10 and building the Nis-Skopje gas line.

To Dragisa Simonovic, a Serb who lives in Bitola, Macedonia, the possibility of crossing the border without a passport is great news.

“I did not have the opportunity to change to the biometric passport, but now [even without it], I can to visit my brother in Serbia,” Simonovic told SETimes.

However, those who cross the border do need to pay their way in — Macedonians pay between 60-90 euros, depending on the size of their vehicle, while Serbs pay 20 euros.

Dacic also noted the goal of Croatia and Albania to sign the agreement allowing reciprocal movement of regional citizens without passports, making the Western Balkans a sort of “mini-Schengen”.

Serbia has had a “no passport needed” agreement with Bosnia and Herzegovina for years, and signed one with Kosovo in December 2011.

The growing trend was highlighted at the December 2011 meeting of the Adriatic Charter in Tirana, where Albania, Macedonia and Montenegro signed an agreement that allows their citizens from one country to travel to another with biometric ID cards. The deal is still awaiting ratification.
    Serbs pay less. Wouldn't want to upset the old bosses I suppose. Who cares, as long as they keep their music out of the country ... they can spend in Macedonia.
    Risto the Great
    MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
    "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com
  • Vangelovski
    • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Risto the Great View Post
    http://www.eurasiareview.com/1901201...rough-borders/

Serbs pay less. Wouldn't want to upset the old bosses I suppose. Who cares, as long as they keep their music out of the country ... they can spend in Macedonia.
    They come to Macedonia so that they can listen to their music. Where else would you hear Serb music blasting out from every cafe, restuarant, nightclub, TV and radio?
    If my people who are called by my name will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sins and restore their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14

The Revolution was in the minds and hearts of the people; a change in their religious sentiments, of their duties and obligations...This radical change in the principles, opinions, sentiments, and affections of the people was the real American Revolution. John Adams

Comment

• Big Bad Sven
      • Jan 2009

http://www.eurasiareview.com/1901201...rough-borders/

Serbs pay less. Wouldn't want to upset the old bosses I suppose.
      LOL!

I would hate to see our old masters and orthodox "brothers" angry towards the macedonians.

Im guessing because serbs provide macedonia with lots of money for tourism (majority of tourists that come to macedonia are serbians) they dont want the tourist industy to be hit.

The ghost of Kiro Gligorov is haunting us with his eternal words that macedonia cannot survive with serbia, and im guessing this little arrangement from the tourist industry makes it look like that.

Comment

• Big Bad Sven
        • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Vangelovski View Post
        They come to Macedonia so that they can listen to their music. Where else would you hear Serb music blasting out from every cafe, restuarant, nightclub, TV and radio?
        I hate seeing gutless people in Ohrid play/sing serbian music to their serbian customers. They now even do the same for shiptar customers (talking about bars and restaraunts here)

In my experience in both autralia and macedonia is that macedonians look down on you if you ask to put more macedonian music on instead of serbian music

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
          • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Big Bad Sven View Post
          In my experience in both autralia and macedonia is that macedonians look down on you if you ask to put more macedonian music on instead of serbian music
          It may be more common in Macedonia, but I haven't had that experience in Australia.
          In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• ar_makedon armageddon
            • Jan 2012

Originally posted by Vangelovski View Post
            This is a real plague and furthermore, effected by the majority of Macedonian's.
            We make war that we may live in peace.

Aristotle

Comment

• Ljubanec
              • Nov 2010

60-90 euro fee to cross into Serbia is steep. Canadians and Americans pay $4.75 to cross the Windsor/Detroit border. This would certainly deter me from visiting Serbia and deter a lot of others, who would probably spend way more than the entrance fee at hotels, gas stations, restaurants etc. I would hope that Macedonia lowers the cost to 10 euro or even 5.

It would be interesting to know if the 60-90 euro entrance fee is the same for all the other former Yugo citizens hoping to drive through Serbia.

Comment

• Komita
                • May 2009

I hate seeing gutless people in Ohrid play/sing serbian music to their serbian customers. They now even do the same for shiptar customers (talking about bars and restaraunts here)

here read what people that were in Nis said about their hospitality, so people in Nis are gutless for being good hosts and playing macedonian music:

И воопшто кога ќе се земат заедно сите наши навивачи таму,освен неколку инциденти по кафичите и кафаните,дискотеките,немаше ниедна црна дамка во првата фаза,се помина феноменално...
                Пречекот на Србите во Ниш беше феноменален...
                Пријатни луѓе,расположени за муабет,за мајтап.......се изнашетавме со еден куп наши реквизити низ Ниш,цели 5 дена ниедна провокација немаше,буквално ниедна.....
                Да те надополнам на тоа што го кажа за Ниш.
                Значи буквално се осеќав ко дома. Не ни очекував олку добар пречек од Нишлии. Премногу гостопримливи, дружељубиви луѓе. Се шеташ со македонски реквизити по улица, па ти свират, те поздравуваат, те среќаваат на шеталиште како да се знаеш со нив 100 години, браво за победата, како беше ова она со кој играте следна итн... Во бисер ресторанот кај што бев поголем дел од слободното време незнаете какви атмосфери имаше несамо од македонци, срби и србинки кои случајно се нашле тука започнуваат да се веселат со нас. Секаде не поздравуваат. Уште сега носталгија ме фаќа
                Слава му на Бога за се

Comment

• Risto the Great
                  • Sep 2008

Thank god for the brotherhood Komita???
                  Risto the Great

Comment

• Big Bad Sven
                    • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Komita View Post
                    here read what people that were in Nis said about their hospitality, so people in Nis are gutless for being good hosts and playing macedonian music:
                    Ah Nis, the Serbian city were Serbian fans raised a huge greek flag and used the FYROM acronym in a "friendly" hand ball match..... Never mind that a few pubs play macedonian music to macedonian customers( i mean suckers) so all is forgiven.

I think Nis should become the new tourist destination for all good macedonians.

Comment

• Big Bad Sven
                      • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Soldier of Macedon View Post
                      It may be more common in Macedonia, but I haven't had that experience in Australia.
                      Unfortunately i have experience it a lot in australia... the last macedonian "nightclub" for young people in my community played almost more serbian music then macedonian. The excuse i was given that more "hits" were coming out of serbia, and macedonian music was too boring or too folksy.

The sad part it was mainly the macedonian females who were the advocates for playing serbian music in a macedonian club, i believe their justification was something about "every one should get along, and we live in australia, and should leave the politics behind"....... it still did not make sense that a macedonian club would play almost more serbian music then macedonian

Comment

• Risto the Great
                        • Sep 2008

i believe their justification was something about "every one should get along, and we live in australia, and should leave the politics behind"
                        Yeah, I've heard this.
                        I don't believe it. Many of the same people show disgust at Greek displays of culture. I think they are embarrassed to be Macedonian and feel inferior to Serbs. It is a Yugo legacy and I find it highly damaging and disgusting.

The Serbian language is not the least bit normal to me as a Macedonian raised with no connection to Yugoslavia. Any perceived connections to Serbs comes from Tito more than any other "orthodox brotherhood".

Don't get me wrong, I have met many nice Serbs. I just don't feel the need to pretend to be one sometimes.
                        Risto the Great

Comment

• Phoenix
                          • Dec 2008

Don't get me wrong, I have met many nice Serbs. I just don't feel the need to pretend to be one sometimes.
                          Are there really Macedonian's who pretend to be serbs...?

There were probably a few who put a 'yugoslav' identity before their Macedonian identity but I'm unaware of any declaring as serb.
                          Last edited by Phoenix; 01-22-2012, 01:37 AM.

Comment

• Risto the Great
                            • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Phoenix View Post
                            Are there really Macedonian's who pretend to be serbs...?
                            It is more of a case of speaking in Serbian as soon as one enters the room. I think RoMacedonians give themselves far more latitude in relation to identity than they afford Macedonians in Egej. My experience is that when a Serb finds out I am Macedonian, they will instantly assume I speak Serbian. Which I find bizarre and only supported by RoMacedonian actions.

I know a significant person in our local community who allows his daughter to attend Serbian dance classes. We have a Macedonian dance group. Why not go to a Greek dance class as well and be done with putting a knife through the heart of all Macedonians?
                            Risto the Great

Comment

• Zarni
                              Banned
                              • May 2011

When ever I meet a Serb I speak Macedonian to them and ask them why dont you.

Back to the Border crossing payee's are Maacedonians stil paying the 90 Euro do they stll disespect themselves

By the way Macedonians were welcomed in some parts of Serbia with slogans saying "Macedonia is Serbian"
                              Last edited by Zarni; 01-22-2012, 05:32 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X