• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fyrOM
    Banned
    • Feb 2010

Skopje legends - Gazi Baba

Gazi Baba, I made the head of his own tomb

Tomb of Gazi Baba existed until the earthquake in Skopje in 1963. Skopjans still here lighting candles. Actually, that was Gazi Baba? Although behind this pseudonym mention more names, however ... Writes Daniel Kocevski

Less is known that Gazi Baba is a historical figure whose life is connected many legends and stories. Hill, but the location of Gazi Baba, Skopje, many years carries the same name, which is certainly not accidental. He is a saint, whose cult is still respected. Especially for the "West", made exclusive photos of his turbo, whose remnants exist even today on the top of the hill. And not only that. On it are still coming namernici loeni who lit candles, whose traces are visible.

Actually, that was Gazi Baba? Although behind this pseudonym mention more names, however, it is accepted opinion that this is a celebrity of the 16th century named Ashik Celebi. He is one of the first Ottoman writers and poets, whose real name was Mehmed Ali El Nata. He was known as the Qadi Baba, as he was appointed Qadi and Skopje. He was born in Bursa in 1520. He wrote the book "Biography of poets," which he dedicated to Sultan. In appreciation, he was appointed for life tubs.

Tomb of Gazi Baba was much loved and visited by people. On it was placed and an inscription that said, "And I trample, and tub'm ..." There was also the guardian of the tomb, turbedar, who kept a special ritual. Every Friday osvetluval particularly grave and tomb of the hill, and all that left as strong, even mystical impression on city residents.

Particularly interesting is the fact that the tomb was frequently visited by women. He was a beacon for prophetess whose predictions vradzhbi and were widely known. Tomb of Gazi Baba had some strange power over time. The place was a cult, and occult simultaneously. In what way were carried out predictions? There are records of some of these rituals.

Women prophesied fate, evil and happiness, success and failure as follows: at the end of the marble slab of the tomb were placed and gjum bowl full of water, along with twenty to thirty pebbles. Pebbles were watered with water from gjumot, then each of them was the determination after a desire or purpose that they should meet. Once every stone has been given the role, one of the women had collected all the pile of pebbles. With one stroke of his hand, they were distributed in half: luck was on the side of the stones that were pair-pair and doom, evil, failing to meet the desire of the pebbles - tech-odd. I used other ways of divination and prophecy.

Gazi Baba was of noble and educated family. After completing education, he was a Qadi in Silivri, Serfidzhe and Nard. Since the Ottomans at that time led many wars, Gazi Baba was killed in battle in 1572. Since most was associated with the City and was buried here. Legend says he made himself head of his own tomb.

Tomb of Gazi Baba, Skopje until there was an earthquake in 1963. Since it is not renewed. Being at the top of the hill, its parts and debris today seem exotic and mystical. You'll find many artifacts and grave sights covered with Persian script. Another interesting fact is that today it is still visited by various namernici of the faithful. I noticed traces of recent loeni lit candles.

Rarity is the fact that Gazi Baba as toponym persisted for many years. Here were the biggest Turkish cemetery in Skopje. Tomb was demolished in the 19th century, and then immediately reinstated by Hadji Galib Bey. But this hill, and before the arrival of the Turks, had a significant role in the city. One of the assumptions is that it perhaps was on the famous medieval monastery of St. George-George ". At its base were a number of churches in Skopje. The lower, northern part of the hill there and Christian cemetery, a place called Kletvenik. Sounds a bit unbelievable, but this place is also mentioned in a medieval charter of 1300 under the name Kletovnik.

Skopje is known for turbinjata and celebrities who were buried in them. Much was known tomb of Baba Hindu, whose sermons were famous in the city. Hindu grandmother came to Skopje from India, after which he got the name. His turbeh was in the northeastern part of the hill, the road leading to the village Bulachani. Baba tomb of the people of Ur were among today's Faculty, and it is destroyed by tracing the path to this object. In this space were the royal tomb and daughter or even known as King Kzhzi. Aydar Baba had turbeh in Topaana, near the place where today is the U.S. Embassy, ​​while that of Jeshil Baba was in the court of Isak-Bey Mosque.

In these spring days, the journey of Gazi Baba, whose beauty and historical specifics are still not sufficiently known and discovered. Although not so easy, however, will find and patiniranite remains of the tomb of Gazi Baba, Skopje, one of the legendary toponyms.
    Last edited by fyrOM; 03-20-2011, 12:34 PM.
  • Risto the Great
    • Sep 2008

fyrOM, did you write this piece? It has a consistent theme with most of your messages. Namely that it contains a lot of words but with limited meaning.

specially for the "West", made exclusive photos of his turbo
    Wow, cool ... a Turbo in the 16th century

In appreciation, he was appointed for life tubs
    I would hate it if anyone called me "Tubs" ... I am in fact quite svelte at the moment.
    Risto the Great
    MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
    "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

Working...
    X