Why is there no proactivity from the Macedonians in the Republic, Aegean and Pirin?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Daskalot
    • Sep 2008

Why is there no proactivity from the Macedonians in the Republic, Aegean and Pirin?

This is a spin-off of the thread aimed towards the Diaspora started by TrueMacedonian, but here the question is asked anew but the focus is on the Macedonians in the Republic, Aegean and Pirin.

The only effective way is for our fellow Macedonians in the Republic, in Bulgaria and in Greece to make themselves heard. They need to protest on a large scale, lets say 1000 Macedonians rally in Salonica and demand to be recognized as a minority in Greece. International press and media covering it. Now is the time, Greece is in the spotlight. This must be done, everything else will solve it self in an instant.
    Macedonian Truth Organisation
  • Daskalot
    • Sep 2008

This is what our representatives within Greece should be working on full time. No one gets anything whitout making themselves heard on a international stage.

Comment

• vodenka
      • Mar 2009

In each part of Macedonia the approach to make people more active, is very different. For instance, in Egejska, it is almost impossible to make Macedonians protest to be recognized as minority because they do not feel a minority. What they want is freedom to express their different ethnic identity with no fear of attacks from the state in first place and also fascist nationalists groups who usually are not punished for their actions against us.
      What we need to do to be heard in Greece is to do things that declare our ethnic identity and if somebody stops us in some way, than take action in the international organizations. The problem is who is going to be in front of the cart and pull it? (I mean, who is willing to take personal risk to do it). I am afraid we cannot find many of those people and this is our weakness, I think.
      Last edited by vodenka; 03-08-2010, 04:39 AM.

Comment

• Bill77
        • Oct 2009

Originally posted by vodenka View Post
        In each part of Macedonia the approach to make people more active, is very different. For instance, in Egejska, it is almost impossible to make Macedonians protest to be recognized as minority beacuse they do not feel a minority. What they want is freedom to express their different ethnic identity with no fear of attacks from the state in first place and also fascist nationalists groups who usually are not punished for their actions against us.
        What we need to do to be heard in Greece is to do things that declare our ethnic identity and if somebody stops us in some way, than take action in the international organizations. The problem is who is going to be in front of the cart and pull it? (I mean, who is willing to take personal risk to do it). I am afraid we cannot find many of those people and this is our weakness, I think.
        Pavle
        http://www.macedoniantruth.org/forum/showthread.php?p=120873#post120873

Comment

• vodenka
          • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Bill77 View Post
          Pavle
          Ok, I agee! Let us see him doing things in our cities and villages, gather our people and start actions.

Comment

• Bill77
            • Oct 2009

Ok, I agee! Let us see him doing things in our cities and villages, gather our people and start actions.
            I am sure he could and would if there was unity and all sides put Macedonia ahead of there own interests.

Comment

• vodenka
              • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Bill77 View Post
              I am sure he could and would if there was unity and all sides put Macedonia ahead of there own interests.
              So, you think is a lost cause, in Egejska?

Comment

• Daskalot
                • Sep 2008

So Basically what you are saying is that Macedonians in Greece feel Greek. If so our cause is lost in Greece. You should be wasting your time and energy on something else Vodenka.

Comment

• Bill77
                  • Oct 2009

So, you think is a lost cause, in Egejska?
                  No way its a lost cause. I never sugested or hinted it was the case. Although, I am amazed you are quick to come to that conclusion. Hmmmm

All i said, we need to unite. Are you sugesting its a lost cause?

Comment

• Mastika
                    • Feb 2010

Hello Everyone, I have been a long time reader of this forum, however as of yet I haven't posted anything.

Vodenka says that Macedonians do not feel like a minority. I mean, isn't that the whole point of Greek propaganda? To make us/everyone believe that they are not Macedonian, but "Slavophone Greeks"?

I think that everyone needs to lay off the diaspora for a while. Out of the three groups with an interest in the matter, they have contributed the most, when in reality their contribution should be the least most important. Two groups are to blame The Macedonian Government and the Aegean Macedonians themselves.

Over the past 20 the Macedonian Government has done virtually nothing to help the Aegean Macedonian minority. They have done little in fostering awareness within the minority and done little in regards to propaganda/information on behalf of the minority. The government has provided little incentive for Aegeans to go to Macedonia, immerse themselves in ethnic macedonian culture, learn the language, provide scholarships etc.

The Aegean Macedonians are also to blame. Over the past 20 years they have shown little interest into keeping their culture and heritage alive, and the majority seem to be comfortable in assimilating into greeks. Even though the borders are open, how many Aegeans go to the Republic of Macedonia (which is a 30 min drive), to buy books, enroll in classes, take up univesity scholarships etc. How many watch Macedonian TV, listen to radio, download Macedonian songs etc.? It is ironic that a woman who cannot even speak the language fluently is the representative of the one of ONLY two Macedonian cultural groups present (no offence meant to you Vodenka, keep up the good work).

The issue here is not that the diaspora has not been active. BUT, should the diaspora be focused on United Macedonia or the Republic of Macedonia? After 20+ solid work in Aegean Macedonia, and no results to show for it, possibly the diaspora may want to reconsider its main focus. Perhaps to help the Macedonians in Albania, or help stop Albanisation of Macedonian Muslims IN macedonia. Just some suggestions/ideas.

Comment

• Daskalot
                      • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Mastika View Post
                      Hello Everyone, I have been a long time reader of this forum, however as of yet I haven't posted anything.

Vodenka says that Macedonians do not feel like a minority. I mean, isn't that the whole point of Greek propaganda? To make us/everyone believe that they are not Macedonian, but "Slavophone Greeks"?

I think that everyone needs to lay off the diaspora for a while. Out of the three groups with an interest in the matter, they have contributed the most, when in reality their contribution should be the least most important. Two groups are to blame The Macedonian Government and the Aegean Macedonians themselves.

Over the past 20 the Macedonian Government has done virtually nothing to help the Aegean Macedonian minority. They have done little in fostering awareness within the minority and done little in regards to propaganda/information on behalf of the minority. The government has provided little incentive for Aegeans to go to Macedonia, immerse themselves in ethnic macedonian culture, learn the language, provide scholarships etc.

The Aegean Macedonians are also to blame. Over the past 20 years they have shown little interest into keeping their culture and heritage alive, and the majority seem to be comfortable in assimilating into greeks. Even though the borders are open, how many Aegeans go to the Republic of Macedonia (which is a 30 min drive), to buy books, enroll in classes, take up univesity scholarships etc. How many watch Macedonian TV, listen to radio, download Macedonian songs etc.? It is ironic that a woman who cannot even speak the language fluently is the representative of the one of ONLY two Macedonian cultural groups present (no offence meant to you Vodenka, keep up the good work).

The issue here is not that the diaspora has not been active. BUT, should the diaspora be focused on United Macedonia or the Republic of Macedonia? After 20+ solid work in Aegean Macedonia, and no results to show for it, possibly the diaspora may want to reconsider its main focus. Perhaps to help the Macedonians in Albania, or help stop Albanisation of Macedonian Muslims IN macedonia. Just some suggestions/ideas.
                      Welcome to our forum Mastika. Great input in my opinion you are right on the money.

Comment

• Prolet
                        • Sep 2009

Mastika, The Macedonians in Egejska Makedonija are the true owners of the land, are the Aboriginals a minority in Australia? Why should we feel like a minority when its our land, are the Greeks in Northern Cyprus a minority? Thats occupied land, its our land it was taken from us its not like our people came to live there, they brought in Pontians and Gjupci from Asia Minor to take our peoples farms and land.

Maslinka, Welcome aboard its good to have you here

I welcome you with these two pesni

YouTube - Muharem Serbezovsk-Mastika mastika.avi

YouTube - Trakyalı Turfan Ailesi - Mastika
                        МАКЕДОНЕЦ си кога кавал ќе ти ја распара душата,зурла ќе ти го раскине срцето,кога секое влакно од кожата ќе ти се наежи кога ќе видиш шеснаесеткрако сонце,кога до коска ќе те заболи кога ќе слушнеш ПЈРМ,кога немаш ни за леб,а полн си во душата затоа што ја сакаш МАКЕДОНИЈА. МАКЕДОНИЈА во срце те носиме.

Comment

• Daskalot
                          • Sep 2008

Prolet, when these aboriginals keep quite and do not protest nor voice themselves, are they in reality a minority? Do they deserve a minority status?

Comment

• Mikail
                            • Sep 2008

Well put Mastika. From my experience, the Macedonians in Greece love Macedonian songs, sing them, dance to them and thrive on our traditions. That being said, not enough is being done to give them or should I say, more of them, the opportunity to get drunk with it with a whole lot of other like minded people.

We see more and more evidence of the young embracing their Macedonian heritage on Utube. The fears the older generations have seems to have been lost by the young.

The Ilindensko Panagir in Ovcareni is a once a year event in one village. Imame i drugi praznici. Fuck man it should not be that difficult to organise a traveling event which moves from Kostur right through to Drama.

The people there know they are Macedonian. Immerse them in our culture to get them off the fence.
                            From the village of P’pezhani, Tashko Popov, Dimitar Popov-Skenderov and Todor Trpenov were beaten and sentenced to 12 years prison. Pavle Mevchev and Atanas Popov from Vrbeni and Boreshnica joined them in early 1927, they were soon after transferred to Kozhani and executed. As they were leaving Lerin they were heard to shout "With our death, Macedonia will not be lost. Our blood will run, but other Macedonians will rise from it"

Comment

• Mastika
                              • Feb 2010

Prolet I agree with what you are saying. But you can't FORCE people to be a minority against their will, in that way we would be no better then the subjugators of the minority. If people feel like a minority i think by all means we should help them.

However, if they don't feel/want to be one, then thats a completely different story.

Comment

Working...
                              X