X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stevce
    • Jan 2016

Fojnica Armorial

Never heard of this before. This is from wikipedia. Anyone got anymore information on this. The manuscript contains a total of 139 coats of arms. It begins with a depiction of the Bogorodica, saints Cosmas and Damian, and Saint Jerome. There follows a title page, written in Cyrillic, which attributes the work to one Stanislav Rubčić, in honour of King Stefan Dušan, with the date 1340. The date of 1340 is result of pseudepigraphy.[4] There is an added note in Latin, dated 1800, which testifies that the manuscript had been kept in Fojnica monastery "from time immemorial". Then there is as page showing a combined coat of arms consisting of eleven parts. After this, there are ten coats of arms of late medieval realms of the region, Macedonia (Macedoniae), "Illyria" (Vllvriae), Bosnia (Bosnae), Dalmatia (Dalmatie), Croatia (Crovatiae), Slavonia (Slavoniae), Bulgaria (Bvlgariae), Serbia (Svrbiae), Rascia (Rasciae) and "Primordia" (Primordiae), followed by coats of arms of noble families.

• Liberator of Makedonija
    • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Stevce View Post
    Never heard of this before. This is from wikipedia. Anyone got anymore information on this. The manuscript contains a total of 139 coats of arms. It begins with a depiction of the Bogorodica, saints Cosmas and Damian, and Saint Jerome. There follows a title page, written in Cyrillic, which attributes the work to one Stanislav Rubčić, in honour of King Stefan Dušan, with the date 1340. The date of 1340 is result of pseudepigraphy.[4] There is an added note in Latin, dated 1800, which testifies that the manuscript had been kept in Fojnica monastery "from time immemorial". Then there is as page showing a combined coat of arms consisting of eleven parts. After this, there are ten coats of arms of late medieval realms of the region, Macedonia (Macedoniae), "Illyria" (Vllvriae), Bosnia (Bosnae), Dalmatia (Dalmatie), Croatia (Crovatiae), Slavonia (Slavoniae), Bulgaria (Bvlgariae), Serbia (Svrbiae), Rascia (Rasciae) and "Primordia" (Primordiae), followed by coats of arms of noble families.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fojnica_Armorial

Yes I am familiar with it. I believe it contains the first depiction of the lion as a coat of arms for Macedonia.
    I know of two tragic histories in the world- that of Ireland, and that of Macedonia. Both of them have been deprived and tormented.

Comment

• Stevce
      • Jan 2016

What I found interesting was that if Macedonia is Bulgarian like Bulgarians claim, why the two coat of arms? Were there any noble families of Macedonia with coats of arms.

Comment

• Liberator of Makedonija
        • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Stevce View Post
        What I found interesting was that if Macedonia is Bulgarian like Bulgarians claim, why the two coat of arms? Were there any noble families of Macedonia with coats of arms.
        No there weren't which makes it so interesting. I imagine Macedonia was included because great Europe was still awing over Alexander the Great.
        I know of two tragic histories in the world- that of Ireland, and that of Macedonia. Both of them have been deprived and tormented.

Comment

Working...
        X