Macedonian Truth Forum   

Go Back   Macedonian Truth Forum > Macedonian Truth Forum > Macedonian History

Old 06-03-2017, 10:45 AM   #11
Amphipolis

Amphipolis is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skolovranec View Post
Bulgarian statistics claim there were over 21.000 people there. One side here is lying, you can't both be right
Where did you see that?
Amphipolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 11:25 AM   #12
Skolovranec

Location: Kilibargrad, Macedonian Federation (Earth-21691808)
Skolovranec is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amphipolis View Post
Where did you see that?
Over here. I don't understand Bulgarian super-well, but I think it explicitly states that there are over 21.000 residents there. It includes statistics for other regions in present-day Greece.
Skolovranec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 01:18 PM   #13
tchaiku

tchaiku is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Over here. I don't understand Bulgarian super-well, but I think it explicitly states that there are over 21.000 residents there. It includes statistics for other regions in present-day Greece.
He meant which source. (You probably knew this)
tchaiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 01:32 PM   #14
Skolovranec

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchaiku View Post
He meant which source. (You probably knew this)
Sources are there as you can see for yourself. If you know Bulgarian well maybe you could help out on shedding more light on the details of the info provided there.
Old 06-03-2017, 02:44 PM   #15
Amphipolis

Google translation, this is interesting actually. Census in 1941 by the occupying Bulgarian forces.

By administrative districts the population is distributed: Xanthi - 72 821, of which Bulgarian Christians - 1740; With turbulent consciousness -23 938, Greeks - 45 588 and others 1555; Gumyurdzhinska - 99,563, of which Bulgarian Christians - 730, Muslim Bulgarians - 6,138, Turcized consciousness - 47,214, Greeks - 42,214 and others 3267; Dadeagachka - Bulgarian Christians - 2670, with Turcized Consciousness - 1819, Greeks - 20,137 and others 1003; Serska - 80 190, of which Bulgarians - 11 000, Greeks - 67 963 and others - 1237; Demirhisarski - 33,800, of which Bulgarians - 10,820, Greeks - 22,295 and others - 685; Dramska - 128 463, of which Bulgarians - 11 068, Greeks and others - 117 395; Ziljahovska - 33 434, of which Bulgarians - 4710, Greeks and others - 28 724; Kavalska - 64 419, of which Bulgarians - 1000, Greeks - 59 433, with Turcized Consciousness - 9 and others - 3977; Thassos Island - 21 273, of which Bulgarians - 3 and Greeks - 21 270; Governmental - 37 133, of which Bulgarians - 10, with Turkish consciousness - 5, Greeks - 36 822 and others 296 [33] ; Sarasambanska - probably 52,725. This first census organized in a hurry is undoubtedly burdened by imprecision and inaccuracy. It takes place on a voluntary recording of nationality. The census allows the Bulgarian government to get a more realistic picture of the population in the region and the various mood trends among the different ethnic groups.

From a demographic point of view, the area is a very colorful picture, the main tone of which is given by the Greek national group. For its part, however, this ethnic group is not united. The majority of this population are migrants from Eastern Thrace, Asia Minor, Caucasus, Black Sea coast, etc., people with different education, different culture, customs, customs, etc. And with a different concept of labor, hygiene, family and public life - something that brings even greater diversity and diversity to the national composition of the area. [34]
Old 06-03-2017, 05:43 PM   #16
Carlin

Carlin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberator of Makedonija View Post
To my knowledge, the only island in Macedonia is Taso/Тasos (Thassos in Greek).

I was hoping someone might have some information on the history and ethnology of this island. Macedonian wikipedia mentions that the island used to be of mixed ethnicity and that the Macedonian population were persecuted during the Balkan Wars but I was hoping for some more informaiton and evidence.

Macedonian toponyms are also welcome, I know the main settlement on the island is called 'Боровец' ('Limenas' in Greek) but if anyone knows the Macedonian names for the other settlements that would be great.

AD 365: A terrible earthquake brings destruction, and parts of the island disappear beneath the sea.
565: The island is occupied by the Arabs, but liberated again by Heraclitus.
7th Century: The rise of piracy in the Aegean.
765: Thassos is pillaged by Slav pirates.
900: Occupied by the Saracens.
961: The Saracens are defeated by Nicephorus Phocas, and withdraw.
1161: The French count Raymond de Poitiers seizes, pillages and destroys the island. The inhabitants are sold into slavery.
1327: The Byzantine emperor Andronicus III brings new settlers to the island, whose population has declined. These new settlers were Cumans,
as can been seen in the links provided below.

(Andronicus brought Cuman settlers to Thassos, Lemnos and Lesbos.)

Links:
http://www.gothassos.com/the-history...os-greece.html
https://books.google.ca/books?id=7DJ...Thasos&f=false
https://books.google.ca/books?id=IyH...Thasos&f=false
https://books.google.ca/books?id=9CY...Thasos&f=false

1) Max Vasmer wrote the following regarding Thassos, in his Die Slaven in Griechenland (in German):

An slavisch deutbaren Namen ist mir nur im nordwestlichen Teil der Insel der ON Βουλγάρο (Vulgáro) bei Conze, Reise 40, auf Karten auch Volgaro, aufgefallen, letzteres auch bei Miller, Athos 180 (Karte). Der Name ist zweifellos mit dem Namen der Bulgaren *bъlgarinъ, abulg. *blъgarinъ zu verbinden. Solange keine andern slavischen Namen auf Thasos verzeichnet worden sind, ist es schwer zu entscheiden, ob es sich hier um eine vereinzelte Ansiedlung von Slaven durch die Griechen oder um eine Spur mittelalterlicher Slaven handelt, die im Zusammenhange mit der großen Slaveninvasion hier eingedrungen sein könnten. Vgl. auch Šišmanov, Bъlg. Prěgled IV, Nr. 3 S. 84. Von zufällig im 19. Jahrhundert nach Thasos verschlagenen Bulgaren weiß Dimitsas II 848 ff. zu berichten. Schwyzer sieht in Βουλγάρο einen Gen. pl. Βουλγάρων.

2) It is mentioned by the locals that crews of Arvanites have constructed buildings (on Thassos), whose morphology places them in the 19th century. Many builders and constructors also came from Epirus and Bulgaria.

http://www.thassos-view.com/architecture
http://www.thassos-view.com/el/arxitektoniki

3) Edinburgh History of the Greeks, 1453 to 1768, By Molly Greene

Page 89: The Ottomans took Thassos and Samothrace by force and many of their inhabitants were then sent to Istanbul, where Mehmet's project to rebuild the city was in full swing (Topping 1986: 226).

https://books.google.ca/books?id=0Dw...hassos&f=false

Last edited by Carlin; 06-03-2017 at 08:22 PM.
Carlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 12:27 AM   #17
Liberator of Makedonija

Liberator of Makedonija is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I'd also point that there are around 13.000 residents there present-day. What happened since 1900? Population burnout?
The non-Greek speaking population was forced off the island in 1913.
Liberator of Makedonija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 11:26 AM   #18
Skolovranec

Quote:
I know that, i just wanted an answer from the naysayers. Even the Bulgarian document lists only 3 Bulgarians but that doesn't explain everything else.
Old 06-04-2017, 03:07 PM   #19
Amphipolis

Quote:
Quote:
I know that, i just wanted an answer from the naysayers. Even the Bulgarian document lists only 3 Bulgarians but that doesn't explain everything else.
15 people do not make a population (see post#9) and that should also be reflected in Bulgarian demographic research of the late 1890s or early 1900s.
Old 06-04-2017, 08:54 PM   #20
Liberator of Makedonija

Liberator of Makedonija is on a distinguished road

Good stuff Carlin
Liberator of Makedonija is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aegan macedonia, aegean sea, island, taso