X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • United MKD
    • Jul 2011

Originally posted by EricTheRed View Post
    The way you put it, Macedonia sold these items to Greeks, against it's own(???) law. Most here will agree that this doesnt make sense.
    Sounds pretty standard to me, sounds like a very Macedonian thing to do. Anything for a dollar.

Comment

• George S.
      • Aug 2009

sell their soul for a dollar.
      "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
      GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• makedonche
        • Oct 2008

The way you put it, Macedonia sold these items to Greeks, against it's own(???) law. Most here will agree that this doesnt make sense. I must also point out that the modern Republic has not control over the areas where these relics are found, since these areas belong to Greece for the past 100 years. Hence, these excavations etc cannot be called illegal. You could call them unethical etc, but certainly not illegal.
        EricTheRed

The way you put it, Macedonia sold these items to Greeks, against it's own(???) law.
        I believe the items referred to were stolen artefacts that were purchased on the black market.
        On Delchev's sarcophagus you can read the following inscription: "We swear the future generations to bury these sacred bones in the capital of Independent Macedonia. August 1923 Illinden"

Comment

• George S.
          • Aug 2009

At one point the greeks were offering 1 million euros for a macedonian helmet.Some were found on rom territory lucky the people who found them handed them to the authorities.T hen the greeks could say they found it on thir territory.
          "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
          GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• iceman
            • Sep 2008

Originally posted by ericthered View Post
            the way you put it, macedonia sold these items to greeks, against it's own(???) law. Most here will agree that this doesnt make sense. I must also point out that the modern republic has not control over the areas where these relics are found, since these areas belong to greece for the past 100 years. Hence, these excavations etc cannot be called illegal. You could call them unethical etc, but certainly not illegal.
            are you awake buddy ??? Do you realise what you have posted. Please dont post idiot statements .
            Im talking about morons who illegally dig in macedonia and onsell to the black market you clown . Or corrupt officials selling items to line their pockets with money.

Comment

• EricTheRed
              • Oct 2012

Originally posted by iceman View Post
              are you awake buddy ??? Do you realise what you have posted. Please dont post idiot statements .
              Im talking about morons who illegally dig in macedonia and onsell to the black market you clown . Or corrupt officials selling items to line their pockets with money.
              One needs to be specific when referring to something as illegal. Who are those morons, first of all, who are the buyers, and most important, where exactly in Macedonia are they digging-are you talking about the Republic or the wider area? Because, to my knowledge, no major ancient macedonian settlements lie in the Republic's territories. Hence, almost all ancient macedonian items are discovered within greek lands. Meaning that they can be owned and displayed by Greek institutions wihout any legal problems, as long as the conditions set by greek laws are met. So, Greek museums etc dont even need to buy it from Macedonians, cause the items are found within greek territory.

If on the other hand the buyers are private collectors, you and me have no way of knowing their nationality. They may very well be Germans or Chinese for example, not Greeks. Whether they buy these items in Macedonia or Greece is irrelevant. Even the nationality of the buyers/sellers is irrelevant. As I explained above, official Greece has no need to turn to the black market to gather ancient Macedonian items, it can find them legally within its soil. Private buyers and sellers look after their own interests and agendas (or whims)-be they Greeks or Macedonians or whatever else. So, when you are speaking about Greek settlers illegally buying ancient macedonian items, your entire arguement is distorted, since it's simply an overgeneralization, since this means that almost 2.000.000 people are criminals, they way you set it. Whether a Greek or a Macedonian or a German buys/sells ancient macedonian items in the black market, it's still illegal. They dont represent their compatriots though, nor should their actions be linked to the latter. Using your logic, if 200 Macedonians for example illegally excavate and sell historical items, I could say '' Watch them Macedonians illegally selling etc etc''. Which would also be an overgeneralization.

Comment

• makedonche
                • Oct 2008

EricTheRed

You really need to do your research a lot better before you make silly statements like this:-

One needs to be specific when referring to something as illegal. Who are those morons, first of all, who are the buyers, and most important, where exactly in Macedonia are they digging-are you talking about the Republic or the wider area? Because, to my knowledge, no major ancient macedonian settlements lie in the Republic's territories. Hence, almost all ancient macedonian items are discovered within greek lands. Meaning that they can be owned and displayed by Greek institutions wihout any legal problems, as long as the conditions set by greek laws are met. So, Greek museums etc dont even need to buy it from Macedonians, cause the items are found within greek territory.
                .........I'll give you some time to do that research before i humiliate you publicly!
                On Delchev's sarcophagus you can read the following inscription: "We swear the future generations to bury these sacred bones in the capital of Independent Macedonia. August 1923 Illinden"

Comment

• Gocka
                  • Dec 2012

Originally posted by makedonche View Post
                  EricTheRed

You really need to do your research a lot better before you make silly statements like this:-

.........I'll give you some time to do that research before i humiliate you publicly!

LOL its not his fault, its the brain washing they get south of the border.

"There are no major archaeological sites on the republics territory"

Its the propaganda in Greece that teaches them that anything and everything that has to do with ancient Macedonia is all in MODERN day greece. They forget that they only occupy half of ancient territory, and before the occupation, NONE.

Comment

• EricTheRed
                    • Oct 2012

First of all, no need to be offensive. Secondly, I clearly used the expression ''to my knowledge'', from the maps of the ancient macedonian kingdom I have seen(not only from greek or greek influenced books). I'm not an expert in the field, never claimed to be. I may be mistaken about the fact that few ancient macedonian items are found within the Republic. I dont believe though that anyone can deny the fact that considerably more can be found in Greece, since the core of the ancient Macedonian kingdom was Pella and the surrounding territories. So, my argument still stands, official Greece has no need to seek ancient macedonian items from the Republic.

And btw, this ''brainwash'' argument is used too much. We disagree about situations and facts thousands years old, which automatically means that neither side can prove whatever it claims with no doubt. Both sides may very well be ''brainwashed''. That's why discussion should be conducted in a civil manner. I am not posting here to humiliate or be humiliated-this way of thinking does not promote dialogue.

Comment

• Gocka
                      • Dec 2012

Speaking the truth is not an offensive, I apologize if the truth hurts. Its hard to deny the fact that there has been and still is nationalist brainwashing in greek schools, so much so that greece has even drawn criticism from many international organizations for falsifying history to serve its own purposes.

Greece does have a need for relics from the Republic of Macedonia, because the argument of official greece which you even hinted at yourself is "the ancient Macedonian kingdom was greek, is in greece, and only greece. There for every time a significant discovery is made in the Republic of Macedonia (which there are many), it hurts the claim of greece that all of Macedonia and its culture is in greece.

You couldn't have not know that, you are just playing dumb, which is what all greeks do when they want to be polite.

Its been documented, many artifacts were smuggled in to greece, some were even reburied and "found" in occupied Macedonia.

First of all, no need to be offensive. Secondly, I clearly used the expression ''to my knowledge'', from the maps of the ancient macedonian kingdom I have seen(not only from greek or greek influenced books). I'm not an expert in the field, never claimed to be. I may be mistaken about the fact that few ancient macedonian items are found within the Republic. I dont believe though that anyone can deny the fact that considerably more can be found in Greece, since the core of the ancient Macedonian kingdom was Pella and the surrounding territories. So, my argument still stands, official Greece has no need to seek ancient macedonian items from the Republic.

And btw, this ''brainwash'' argument is used too much. We disagree about situations and facts thousands years old, which automatically means that neither side can prove whatever it claims with no doubt. Both sides may very well be ''brainwashed''. That's why discussion should be conducted in a civil manner. I am not posting here to humiliate or be humiliated-this way of thinking does not promote dialogue.

Comment

• makedonche
                        • Oct 2008

[QUOTE=EricTheRed;145586]First of all, no need to be offensive. Secondly, I clearly used the expression ''to my knowledge'', from the maps of the ancient macedonian kingdom I have seen(not only from greek or greek influenced books). I'm not an expert in the field, never claimed to be. I may be mistaken about the fact that few ancient macedonian items are found within the Republic. I dont believe though that anyone can deny the fact that considerably more can be found in Greece, since the core of the ancient Macedonian kingdom was Pella and the surrounding territories. So, my argument still stands, official Greece has no need to seek ancient macedonian items from the Republic.

And btw, this ''brainwash'' argument is used too much. We disagree about situations and facts thousands years old, which automatically means that neither side can prove whatever it claims with no doubt. Both sides may very well be ''brainwashed''. That's why discussion should be conducted in a civil manner. I am not posting here to humiliate or be humiliated-this way of thinking does not promote dialogue.[/QUO

EricTheRed
                        I wasn't being offensive, yes you did use the term "to my knowledge", which is why I said, "do some research", before I humiliate you publicly! Thus giving you the opportunity to correct your remarks - in a civilised manner- after you have done your research. It's evident you haven't done any additional research, which shows me you are not willing to be objective and further educate yourself before making statements and comments which are, at the least uninformed, at worst deliberately ignorant and misleading. This being the case how do you expect to conduct this exchange with any civility?

Comment

• Agamoi Thytai
                          • Nov 2010

Tomb of Roxane and Alexander's son discovered near Amphipolis?

It all started last year (though the excavation had actually begun some years earlier), when archaeologists unearthed near the archeological site of Amphipolis (Serres district, about 80 km to the East of Salonica) something that seemed to be a royal ancient Macedonian tomb:

Some media in Greece were excited to the point that they believed it might even be the tomb of Alexander the Great, however archaeologists didn't share their enthusiasm and only said that most probably the tomb belonged to some very important figure, perhaps of the royal family.
                          Excavations continued and today most archaeologists say perhaps Alexander's wife Roxane and his 12 year old Alexander IV (both were murdered at Cassander's behest) are buried in this tomb:

Archaeologists who unearthed a burial site at Amphipolis in northern Greece have made an "exceptionally important find", PM Antonis Samaras says.

Greek tomb at Amphipolis is 'important discovery'

Archaeologists unearthing a burial site at Amphipolis in northern Greece have made an "extremely important find", says Greek PM Antonis Samaras.

Experts believe the tomb belonged to an important figure dating back to the last quarter of the Fourth Century BC.

A large mound complex has been unearthed at the Kasta hill site in the past two years.

Lead archaeologist Katerina Peristeri said it certainly dated from after the death of Alexander the Great.

"The land of Macedonia continues to move and surprise us, revealing from deep within its unique treasures," Mr Samaras said while visiting the mound complex on Tuesday.

Other ancient sites have been found in the Macedonia region of northern Greece, principally the Vergina tomb of Alexander's father, Philip II, which was unearthed in 1977.

There has been widespread speculation that a prominent figure in ancient Macedonia may have been buried at Kasta hill, 600km (370 miles) north of Athens.

The burial mound is 497m (1,600ft) long and constructed with marble imported from the nearby island of Thassos and there are suggestions it was built by the renowned architect, Dinocrates, who was a friend of Alexander's.

Ms Peristeri has in the past spoken of key historic events in the area involving some of Alexander's generals.

Alexander's widow Roxana and their son Alexander were murdered in 311BC by Cassander, who came to the fore after Alexander the Great's death in Babylon in 323BC.

A lion statue found at the site has been erected close to where it was discovered at Amphipolis, which was originally an Athenian colony but later conquered by Philip II.

It should be noted that the Greek PM Andonis Samaras visited yesterday the excavation site, which is guarded by strong police forces.
                          More photos in these two Greek sites below:

Φωτογραφίες από το μεγαλοπρεπές μνημείο που έφερε στο φως η αρχαιολογική σκαπάνη στην Αμφίπολη.
                          "What high honour do the Macedonians deserve, who throughout nearly their whole lives are ceaselessly engaged in a struggle with the barbarians for the safety of the Greeks?"
                          Polybius, Histories, 9.35

Comment

• Niko777
                            • Oct 2010

Largest ancient tomb found of a prominent Macedonian

Archaeologists uncover Greece's biggest ancient tomb
                            Site dates to end of Alexander the Great's reign in 4th century BC and may be grave of a prominent Macedonian, say officials

The site where archaeologists are excavating a ancient tomb in Amphipolis, northern Greece. Photograph: Alexandros Michailidis/AP
                            Archaeologists have unearthed a vast ancient tomb in Greece, distinguished by two sphinxes and frescoed walls and dating to 300-325BC, the government announced on Tuesday.

The tomb, in the country's north-eastern Macedonia region, which has been gradually unearthed over the past two years, marks a significant discovery from the early Hellenistic era. A culture ministry official said that there was no evidence yet to suggest a link to Alexander the Great – who died in 323BC after an unprecedented military campaign through the Middle East, Asia and northeast Africa – or his family.

The official said the Amphipolis site, about 65 miles north-east of Greece's second-biggest city, Thessaloniki, appeared to be the largest ancient tomb to have been discovered in Greece.

Archaeologists began excavating the site in 2012 and expect to enter the tomb by the end of the month to determine who was buried there.

"It looks like the tomb of a prominent Macedonian of that era," said a second culture ministry official. Alexander the Great died in Babylonia, in modern Iraq, and his actual burial place is not known.

Archaeologists have found two sphinxes, thought to have guarded the tomb's entrance, and a 4.5-metre-wide road leading into it, with walls on both sides covered by frescoes. It is circled by a 497-metre marble outer wall.

Experts believe a five-metre-tall lion sculpture previously discovered nearby once stood atop the tomb.

"It is certain that we stand before an especially significant finding. The land of Macedonia continues to move and surprise us, revealing its unique treasures," the prime minister, Antonis Samaras, said on Tuesday during a visit to the site.

Comment

• Niko777
                              • Oct 2010

Last edited by Niko777; 08-12-2014, 09:18 PM.

Comment

• Niko777
                                • Oct 2010

I think this could be the most significant finding related to ancient Macedonian history since the discovery of King Phillip's tomb in 1977

Comment

Working...
                                X