X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • machorot
    • May 2010

Proto-Slavic in Homer's Works

Not sure if this has been posted before....

• lavce pelagonski
    • Nov 2009

Were did you get this from can you provide a link.
    Стравот на Атина од овој Македонец одел до таму што го нарекле „Страшниот Чакаларов“ „гркоубиец“ и „крвожеден комитаџија“.

„Ако знам дека тука тече една капка грчка крв, јас сега би ја отсекол целата рака и би ја фрлил в море.“ Васил Чакаларов

Comment

• George S.
      • Aug 2009

One thing why are there so many macedonian words in homers time Is homer Greek.Also if the macedonian language is supposed to be slavic why is there preslav language in homers time.So there is proof that the modern macedonian language is linked with the ancient as there are similar words or there are derivations of.So we have proof that in ancient times the macedonians spoke their own language.
      Last edited by George S.; 06-06-2012, 04:51 PM.
      "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
      GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• machorot
        • May 2010

Originally posted by lavce pelagonski View Post
        Were did you get this from can you provide a link.
        It was posted on facebook... i believe the original source was from http://www.mn.mk/aktuelno

Comment

• The LION will ROAR
          • Jan 2009

If I'm not Mistaken, Didn't Homer call his literature " History "
          Isn't the word "History" derive from Macedonian..?

Is Stori - (ts Stori) English meaning " It happened "
          The Macedonians originates it, the Bulgarians imitate it and the Greeks exploit it!

Comment

• George S.
            • Aug 2009

It sure is macedonian as well as the word cosmos winding cos most bridge.Yes & we know over time how things become hellenised & the just become greek.
            "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
            GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• DraganOfStip
              • Aug 2011

How AUTHENTIC is this anyway?Before jumping to conclusions,does anyone have a link (or maybe checked already) to the ORIGINAL script of the Illiad?Some online libraries perhaps?
              ”A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims... but accomplices”
              ― George Orwell

Comment

• Chakalarov
                • Feb 2014

Proto-Slavic in Homer's Works

I've seen these theory floating around quite a bit on the web. Looking at the Pelasgo-Thracians, we can find the existence of a Proto-Balto-Slavic language being spoken on the Balkans. According to this theory, a number of Slavic words were borrowed by Homer when writing both the "Illiad" and "Odyssey". Words such as dravikos-greeting, tresi-shake, luta-angry, etc. A complete list and study can be found here:

An extract from the book The House of Macedon - A Living Bible of Light

Despite there being evidence of Proto-Slavic languages being spoken in the Balkans during this time, I am not finding much to back up this theory. I have searched all over the web, and websites give up to 20 words from Homer's works with clear Slavic roots, but none of them are referenced.

I personally went through the "Illiad" in the original Homeric Greek, and did a search of the word "dravikos", a clear cognate to today's "zdravo" as a greeting, but could not find any results. I even referenced a dictionary of Homeric Greek but I could not find any of the words claimed.

While I won't go as far as to call this a fabrication, but it does not do the theory any justice to not reference and cite their claims. There are too many theories floating around without any proper evidence or support. Does anyone know more about this theory? Perhaps someone has even found these Slavic words in Homer's works.

Here is the Illiad in the original Homeric Greek: http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/...t:1999.01.0133

Here is the Homeric lexicon:

Last edited by Chakalarov; 06-08-2014, 09:52 PM.

Comment

• Sweet Sixteen
                  Banned
                  • Jan 2014

Yes, this is quite bad, but we've seen worse.

... that's why I didn't want to comment it. A good start would be to write the Homeric words in Greek, not in (misspelled) Latin, so we know what they mean.

Maybe you can find 2 or 3 or 10 strong cases from the above paper so we can further discuss them.

As for the etymology of Odyssey, it has already been discussed somewhere in the forum. The name Odysseus is probably related to the verb odyssomai (=To be angry, wroth, incensed, to rage) which Homer DOES use 18 times in his work

Comment

• Risto the Great
                    • Sep 2008

Not many choices for written languages back then. This doesn't bother me.
                    Risto the Great
                    MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
                    "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• Sweet Sixteen
                      Banned
                      • Jan 2014

Originally posted by Risto the Great View Post
                      Not many choices for written languages back then. This doesn't bother me.
                      Homer's works were not written. They were composed probably in 800s or 700s BC, taught, disseminated and survived orally. (Yes, singers of that time could memorise all 16,000 lines of each poem). Later, it was written down in several versions and eventually in one official version in Athens at 510s BC. The dialect is mostly Ionic.

Comment

• Risto the Great
                        • Sep 2008

I recall the orally passed down aspect.
                        Well, it was written eventually and it was no doubt subject to the odd Chinese whisper I would safely imagine. Either way, it is great to see these things kept alive in one form or another.
                        Risto the Great
                        MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
                        "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• George S.
                          • Aug 2009

people are saying that how homer wrote in the greek language.I would say he wrote in the pelasgian language .THe pelasgians I'm told was one Macedonian tribe.So no wonder we can recognize Macedonian words today in homer.The pelazgians were scattered everywhere all over the Balkans as far as crete.By the way the word crete is in Macedonian kriet to hide,So there's quiet a lot that we know today about the ancient Macedonians that the pelazgians were one of many tribes.
                          GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                            • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Risto the Great View Post
                            Well, it was written eventually and it was no doubt subject to the odd Chinese whisper I would safely imagine.
                            No doubt about that. The fact is, we don't know how the original poems sounded back in Homer's day - that is assuming he even existed. Given that the poems were first written down long after Homer disappeared, even the term "Homeric Greek" can be somewhat misleading for the average simpleton.
                            In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• Bill77
                              • Oct 2009

Originally posted by Sweet Sixteen View Post
                              As for the etymology of Odyssey, it has already been discussed somewhere in the forum. The name Odysseus is probably related to the verb odyssomai (=To be angry, wroth, incensed, to rage) which Homer DOES use 18 times in his work
                              Western Scholars came to a conclusion Odyssey meaning "Journey"
                              Hence the modern day usage of the term Odyssey.

You are not suggesting scholars have got this wrong are you?

Odisi I serise
                              http://www.macedoniantruth.org/forum/showthread.php?p=120873#post120873

Comment

Working...
                              X