Macedonian Truth Forum   

Go Back   Macedonian Truth Forum > Macedonian Truth Forum > Exposing Lies and Propaganda

Old 08-16-2010, 06:25 AM   #11
Onur

Onur is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelister View Post
I am a bit concerned about his coverage of the 'Slav/Avar incursions' because there are far too many assumptions being made about who they were, or were not in the literature and the looseness of the term leads to 'connections' that are usually unproven, and he falls into this trap.

He doesn't mention where they came from in the book but i believe the only explanation of Slav migration to the Balkans could be the rise of Khazar Empire.

Slavic speaking people were living around today`s northwest of Russia and their time of the mass migration to Balkans matches with the rise of Khazar Empire in the beginning of 7th century.

Khazars not only the forced Slavs to migrate out from their territories. Turkic speaking Avars and Bulgars migrate out to Balkans too. Avars probably wanted to maintain their own Khaganate like the Bulgars. This was most likely the reason of their expulsion by Khazars.
Onur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 06:48 AM   #12
Soldier of Macedon
Administrator

Soldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onur View Post
Slavic speaking people were living around today`s northwest of Russia and their time of the mass migration to Balkans matches with the rise of Khazar Empire in the beginning of 7th century.
With all due respect Onur, I don't think you're qualified to suggest that people who spoke a Slavic (or related) tongue were confined strictly to north-western Russia, much less promote the uncorroborated hypothesis of a "mass migration". I am assuming you know little about the origin of Slavic languages, their relation to Baltic and Paleo-Balkan languages, and their evolution from Proto Indo-European. The first time 'invaders' into East Rome were referred to as 'Sclavenes' pre-dates the established of the Khazar Empire by over a century. What first triggered the movement of certain groups from the area north of the Danube into the Roman Empire was the migration and intrusion of the Huns from the east, who overthrew the Alan and Gothic 'entities' and displaced parts of their populations, forcing them to seek refuge west and south. People who spoke languages that later came to be known as 'Slavic' already lived in the region, there is no way possible that a handful of tribes confined to a small region in Russia became the largest linguistic group in Europe over the course of a few centuries. Logic utterly defies such ignorance.
Old 08-16-2010, 07:48 AM   #13
Onur

Well, i didn't wanna say that "ALL" the Slavic speaking people lived at northwest Russia and they migrated into Balkans only at 7th century.

There might be slavic speaking population already present in Balkans b4 that, i don't deny that. I just wanted to point the fact that after the rise of Khazar Empire at the beginning of 7th century, there was mass migrations of slavic speaking people into the Balkans. This most likely wasn't the first wave of migrations tough. I didn't wanna say that this was the first time.
Old 08-16-2010, 08:00 AM   #14
Soldier of Macedon
Administrator

Soldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Well, i didn't wanna say that "ALL" the Slavic speaking people lived at northwest Russia and they migrated into Balkans only at 7th century.
Although clinical and direct, I hope you didn't miscontrue my response, I would expect no less of a response from yourself were I to make a statement about the Turkic languages that you did not agree with and considered fundamentally flawed.
Quote:
There might be slavic speaking population already present in Balkans b4 that, i don't deny that.
The issue with 'slavic speaking populations' alread present in the Balkans is the name applied to this group, which did not exist in Roman records prior to the 6th century AD. I can see that you are skeptical and I am not expecting any blind support for what I assert. I would like to ask, however, what exactly would you require in terms of evidence to demonstrate that linguistic commonality of the Paleo-Balkan languages with those north of the Danube that came to be referred to as Slavic?
Old 08-16-2010, 08:37 AM   #15
Onur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier of Macedon View Post
The issue with 'slavic speaking populations' alread present in the Balkans is the name applied to this group, which did not exist in Roman records prior to the 6th century AD. I can see that you are skeptical and I am not expecting any blind support for what I assert. I would like to ask, however, what exactly would you require in terms of evidence to demonstrate that linguistic commonality of the Paleo-Balkan languages with those north of the Danube that came to be referred to as Slavic?

Actually i am not skeptical. I just don't know much about this and i might look like skeptical for the issues i don't know
I would be happy if you have some documents or articles which shows the linguistic commonality. So, i would read and learn.

What i know is that there was constant conflict between some Slavic tribes and Khazar Empire. They were forced to migrate into Balkans because of this conflict started at 7th century.

This is the people i am talking about;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_Slavs

Khazars also took tribute from these people as the wiki article states;

Quote:
In the eighth and ninth centuries, the south branches of East Slavic tribes had to pay tribute to the Khazars, a Turkic-speaking people who adopted Judaism in the late eighth or ninth century and lived in the southern Volga and Caucasus regions.

Last edited by Onur; 08-16-2010 at 08:42 AM.
Old 08-16-2010, 10:25 AM   #16
Soldier of Macedon
Administrator

Quote:
Actually i am not skeptical. I just don't know much about this and i might look like skeptical for the issues i don't know
I would be happy if you have some documents or articles which shows the linguistic commonality. So, i would read and learn.
Good, approach it with an open mind and you will see that one can make sense and logic out of the developed assertions based on available evidence. If you are genuinely interested in familiarising yourself with the subject more, check posts #28 and #30 of the thread on the below link for a start:

http://www.macedoniantruth.org/forum...p?t=701&page=3

I posted this information a few hours ago. You are welcome to search anything I have suggested in these posts, so you can confirm for yourself that I have done my research. If you would like to discuss it further, let's do so over there, where I will provide further evidence of a linguistic commonality between the Paleo-Balkan and Balto-Slavic groups.
Old 07-21-2019, 03:52 PM   #17
Carlin15

Carlin15 has much to be proud ofCarlin15 has much to be proud ofCarlin15 has much to be proud ofCarlin15 has much to be proud ofCarlin15 has much to be proud ofCarlin15 has much to be proud ofCarlin15 has much to be proud ofCarlin15 has much to be proud ofCarlin15 has much to be proud of

URL:
https://www.jstor.org/stable/10.7591...o_tab_contents

Carlin15 is offline   Reply With Quote