X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rogi
    • Sep 2008

Looking for information on Sabazios

Anyone able to point me to some worthwhile information on ancient God "Sabazios"?

Or perhaps post what you know about him and open a discussion on this ancient God whose origins are supposedly from Macedonia...
  • Spartan
    • Sep 2008

SABAZIOS, a god of the Thracians and the Phrygians, is also known from Greek and Latin sources as Sabadios, Sauazios, Saazios, Sabos, Sebazios, Sabadius, and Sebadius. His name is related to the Macedonian word sauâdai, or saûdoi meaning "satyrs" (Detschew, 1957, p. 427). According to some scholars (e.g., Lozovan, 1968), he was a Thracian mountain god whose cult was carried by Phrygian emigrants from Thrace to Anatolia.

(Sabos) Phrygian god of agriculture and midwifery, whose figure merged to some extent with that of the Jewish Zebaoth (→ Jahwe). The cult of Sabazios spread by way of Thrace to Greece and Rome.His epithet Bassareus identifies him as one ‘clad in a long foxskin’. Ceremonial contact with a snake formed part of his rites. The orgiastic nature of his cult, rich in nature symbolism, sometimes caused him to be equated with → Dionysos. The Romans identified him with → Jupiter

Sabazios is the nomadic horseman sky and father god of the Phrygians and Thracians. In Indo-European languages, such as Phrygian, the '-zios' element in his name goes back to Dyeus, the common precursor of 'deus' (god) and Zeus. Though the Greeks associated Phrygian Sabazios with both Zeus and Dionysus, representations of him, even into Roman times, show him always on horseback, as a nomadic horseman god, wielding his characteristic staff of power.

This detailed study guide includes chapter summaries and analysis, important themes, significant quotes, and more - everything you need to ace your essay or test on Sabazios!

Thracian/Phrygian Sabazios

It seems likely that the migrating Phrygians brought Sabazios with them when they settled in Anatolia (ca. 1200 BCE?) and that the god's origins are to be looked for in Macedonia and western Thrace. The Macedonians were noted horseman, horse-breeders and horse-worshippers into the time of Philip II.
    Early conflict between Sabazios and his followers and the indigenous Mother Goddess of Phrygia (Cybele) is reflected in Homer's brief reference to the youthful feats of Priam, who aided the Phrygians in their battles with Amazons. An aspect of the compromise religious settlement, similar to the other such mythic adjustments throughout Aegean culture, can be read in the later Phrygian King Gordias' adoption 'with Cybele' of Midas. Later Greek mythographers reduced Cybele's role to 'wife,' but initially Gordias will have been ruling in the Goddess's name, as her visible representative.

One of the Mother Goddess's creatures was the Lunar Bull. Sabazios' relations with the goddess may be surmised in the way that his horse places a hoof on the head of the bull, in a Roman marble relief at the Boston Museum of Fine Arts. Though Roman in date, the iconic image appears to be much earlier.

Last edited by Spartan; 04-26-2009, 09:25 PM.

Comment

• Rogi
      • Sep 2008

Thanks Spartan.

I found the same info on WikiPedia too, but it only scratches the surface of what I'm looking for..

I'm looking for as much info as possible on Sabazios.

Comment

• Spartan
        • Sep 2008

Ok
        I just googled it quick, as Ive never heard of this 'Sabazios', and I have always been interested in Mythology.

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
          • Sep 2008

There have been attempts to link this name to the Slavic word Sloboda/Svoboda (freedom).
          In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• Rogi
            • Sep 2008

Bringing this one back up, in case anyone has any further info.
            This is an ancient "God", often interchangeable with Dionysius, who supposedly had origins in Macedonia, as the Phrygians had origins in Macedonia (per the other thread about Midas).

Comment

Working...
            X